Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hoping To Buy Early Sc430

aspire

Hi, and a Good New Year to everyone here.

I went for my first drive of an SC430 at the Glasgow Lexus centre last week. It was one of their first demonstrators, two owners later, car from July 2001, silver, black leather, upgraded suspension (does it also follow that the tyres are not runflats?)

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the deal they would offer to part exchange the 1998 'R' MB SL320 I've had for the last 3 years. I'll have to pay off a few months more of my loan, save up a bit, and try again, or privately sell my MB.

I've been looking at the recent posts, I wonder whether SC-Berks has purchased yet, and I've a few other questions that some of you may be able to answer...

How common is it that cars had the supension upgrade? Is it easy to tell whether it has been done? If a car has not had this, can you gain a little, by just swapping runflat for normal tyres?

The car I looked at had some bubbling of the paint at the front of the folding roof, looked like corrosion, is this something that happens?

In the UK, what are owners of these early models finding the franchise dealers charge for the annual services?

Are there other expected wear items apart from tyres? (eg my independent MB engineer tells me my SL exhaust should last the life of the car.)

The Approved Lexus warranty looks as if it should make sure any purchase is unlikely to have any important or costly problems, but does anyone disagree?

Thanks for any advice. I hope I can get my car in the next few months.

Derek

Guest inicol63
Hi, and a Good New Year to everyone here.

I went for my first drive of an SC430 at the Glasgow Lexus centre last week. It was one of their first demonstrators, two owners later, car from July 2001, silver, black leather, upgraded suspension (does it also follow that the tyres are not runflats?)

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the deal they would offer to part exchange the 1998 'R' MB SL320 I've had for the last 3 years. I'll have to pay off a few months more of my loan, save up a bit, and try again, or privately sell my MB.

I've been looking at the recent posts, I wonder whether SC-Berks has purchased yet, and I've a few other questions that some of you may be able to answer...

How common is it that cars had the supension upgrade? Is it easy to tell whether it has been done? If a car has not had this, can you gain a little, by just swapping runflat for normal tyres?

The car I looked at had some bubbling of the paint at the front of the folding roof, looked like corrosion, is this something that happens?

In the UK, what are owners of these early models finding the franchise dealers charge for the annual

services?

Are there other expected wear items apart from tyres? (eg my independent MB engineer tells me my SL exhaust should last the life of the car.)

The Approved Lexus warranty looks as if it should make sure any purchase is unlikely to have any important or costly problems, but does anyone disagree?

Thanks for any advice. I hope I can get my car in the next few months.

Derek

Hi Derek,

I have a 2002 SC

While looking for my one i only came across one repeated problem, that being the boot struts not staying open.

The batterys on all Lexus are not that great, (hope you other guys agree).

The runflat need to be changed.

I too have owned MB and must say the Lexus is a better vehicle all round and the dealers are so much better.

The warrenty is always piece of mind, however this is not cheap.

I cant say that i have ever seem any corrosion on any SC so I would continue viewing ather cars.

PS If you do purchase this vehicle get them to up date the sat nav disc.

Good Luck Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Ian

Got my SC new in 2002 and would rather give up my right testicle than part with it :lol: and I'd echo the same comments as the other guys.

Had the suspension upgrade done early on - just couldn't stand it on our wonderful Berkshire roads any longer . A Lexus dealer should be able to tell you from the car's service history whether that upgrade has been carried out on the car you're interested in.

I went to Tony Bones (Wheels In Motion) at Watford to get the alignment sorted afterwards and he put me on to Eagle F1s - amazing transformation in handling and comfort.

Touch wood - haven't had a prob with the Battery yet. I give it an overnight boost charge going into winter each year - been doing the same with my wife's 2000 IS from new too - and both still have the original batteries fitted. The unit fitted in mine is rated at 380AH - don't know if this is standard.

You'd have the manufacturer's warranty for corrosion - the roof's aluminium (I think) so any bubbling is not likely to damage the underlying metal - just needs making good paint-wise. A Lexus dealer ought to stand by that warranty and have it put right under before you collect.

If needed, there are a number of places where you can have the boot struts re-gassed at reasonable cost.

Only other item I've had dealt with outside regular service has been a replacement Lambda sensor high up in one exhaust branch - too hard to get to so I had the dealer fix it.

They're fine machines, built to be enjoyed.

Buy one and you'll have a permanent honeymooner's grin on your face.

Cheers guys. All this information is excellent, though I may well come back with more questions.

I had a quick look at raising cash for my Mercedes at used car dealers, but no worthwhile offers, so far. I think I'll work towards its April service/MOT date, keep tidying it up, including new tyres & alloy refurb, and look again at making the sums work, either with private sale or trade-in.

Thanks again

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's hoping I haven't jumped in too eagerly!

My original viewing of an SC430 was at Lexus Glasgow, of a July 01 car, one of the first in the UK I think. Quite a low mileage, and overall good enough to buy, but the p/x deal wasn't good enough.

Today I went to look at a Nov 02 car, higher mileage, at 46000, but outwith the dealer network at a well established multi-franchise dealer, and with a bit of haggling, the deal was good enough - less to pay than the Lexus centre wanted for a car 16 months younger.

I've asked for a few things to be attended to, and it has new tyres, though I didn't establish whether they're runflats or conventional. Date of first reg was 16/11/02, is that too early for the revised setup?

Collect in 2 weeks, so hoping all goes well.

There is a label under the bonnet stating if the car has the revised suspension setup...

Will be interesting how you find the SC compared to your Merc.

I considered an 03 SL500 and a CLS but have no regrets at all with the SC. :D

Even got myself in the back the other day was very tight though...

Paul

Guest inicol63
Got my SC new in 2002 and would rather give up my right testicle than part with it :lol: and I'd echo the same comments as the other guys.

Had the suspension upgrade done early on - just couldn't stand it on our wonderful Berkshire roads any longer . A Lexus dealer should be able to tell you from the car's service history whether that upgrade has been carried out on the car you're interested in.

I went to Tony Bones (Wheels In Motion) at Watford to get the alignment sorted afterwards and he put me on to Eagle F1s - amazing transformation in handling and comfort.

Touch wood - haven't had a prob with the battery yet. I give it an overnight boost charge going into winter each year - been doing the same with my wife's 2000 IS from new too - and both still have the original batteries fitted. The unit fitted in mine is rated at 380AH - don't know if this is standard.

You'd have the manufacturer's warranty for corrosion - the roof's aluminium (I think) so any bubbling is not likely to damage the underlying metal - just needs making good paint-wise. A Lexus dealer ought to stand by that warranty and have it put right under before you collect.

If needed, there are a number of places where you can have the boot struts re-gassed at reasonable cost.

Only other item I've had dealt with outside regular service has been a replacement Lambda sensor high up in one exhaust branch - too hard to get to so I had the dealer fix it.

They're fine machines, built to be enjoyed.

Buy one and you'll have a permanent honeymooner's grin on your face.

Hi interested in what you say about regassing the boot structs, did not know that you could do this.

Where and at what cost, can you get this done (ideally national company)

Cheers

Ian

Hi interested in what you say about regassing the boot structs, did not know that you could do this.

Cheers

Ian

Just follow the re-gas link at:http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/automotive.php

Guest inicol63

Cheers

Ian

Just follow the re-gas link at:http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/automotive.php

Cheers thanks for the link awaiting them contacting me.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers thanks for the link awaiting them contacting me.

Yeah, this is great info! My dealer wanted to charge me 200£ for new struts. SGS repairs my old ones for 40£!

Now, can anyone tell me how to disassemble the struts from the trunk? I can't see any screws or similar... :crybaby:

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

SGS could not re-gas mine. Some oil had leaked and they would not hold new gass anymore. They sent me new one for £ 88. SGS is a good, friendly and reliable company. The struts are easy to take out and even esear to put them back. The hardest part was to find someone holding the boot open. To undone the lower part of the strut you will need to open the roof and stop in the middle of the opeing to access the lower pin.

OK, finally got round to taking a picture. Enjoying my first two weeks of Lexus ownership, despite the puncture that destroyed a tyre a week ago! There is a rattle from behind me on the left hand side, maybe from the rear seat or parcel shelf, or something, has anyone come across this and fixed it?

The car has the label under the bonnet, relating to the post-Aug 02 suspension, so that's good. If I get round to it later, I'll maybe post a top-down picture, and show you the non-standard leather! I spoke to the original selling dealer today, and he told me the car was ordered by one guy, with the leather re-trim being done by a local upholsterer, then the guy pulled out of the purchase!

Thanks for all the advice received.

Derek

070221SC1.jpg

Guest inicol63

Car looking good Derek interested in your Leather had mine done (check out my last post with photo's)

Your Sc is a nice colour what is the leather colour and wood trim colour.

Enjoy enjoy enjoy

Ahhh yes - keeping the carpets clean! I finally gave in and bought a couple of Halford's clear mats to protect the driver and front passenger areas. The 'rear' size is big enough and each one has a 1/2 inch lip all round to stop the rain and muck running all over those lovely Lexus mats. Certainly saves a lot of valeting time each week :-)

• 1 year later...

Servicing is only expensive from the dealers. If you can find a reliable local garage you could save a fortune, even when using genuine parts, stongly reccomended. I now have 112000 miles on a 2001 model. The only problem being the after market reversing sensors. Also anyone know which motorola phone fits this model.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links