Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Noob Needs Advice. - Is 250 And 220D

Hello all. I'm a Lexus noob and have done plenty of research but would really appreciate some direct advice from you guys.

I've had an A4 cabriolet for the past three years which has been a pleasure to drive but really not so good in the reliability area. The reason I'm considering a Lexus now is mainly because I want something that will work with my family (we have a nine month old baby), reliable and with a bit of luxury. The AA guy that came out to fix my A4 (yet again) said Lexus were very good, and he rarely sees them, especially the petrol models.

I'm a bit jaded by the usual German premium brands.

I live in London, do 8-10k miles per year, some short trips, work and school runs etc, then longer trips around the country at the weekend.

I don't carry massively heavy loads often.

I have £7000 to spend on a used IS. I'd like to hear from anyone who could give me some advice about what might be a good buy. Top of the list at the moment is the is250 se-l which looks great, and has plenty of toys.

Do you guys think the 250 petrol would be a better bet for me than the 220 diesel?

What kind of real mpg can I expect from the 250? Is the boot space adequate?

I'm slightly confused about what the 'sport' model is too.

And would I be able to get something nice for the money I have?

Thanks all, much appreciated.

dom

You'll get a cracker for £7k if your patient and don't rush in. See plenty of examples before you purchase.

I'd get a 250 SE-L if it were me. You might even be able to get one with the multimedia package for £7k but it'll prob have a slighty higher mileage... Say 70k+

A work colleague bought a 250 SE-L MM on a 56 plate for £8995 but it only had 38k on the clock and full Lexus service history and a detailed list of recall work that had been carried out including 2 brand new rear brake callipers (these a prone to sticking) and a brand new set of shiny alloys! And it was from a Lexus dealer so he got a 12 month warranty with it. That was 6 months ago and he loves it, doesn't shut up about it! Lol....

Oh and he's had absolutely 0 problems with it.

My IS is a first generation, 11 years old and I've had it for 8 months. It's given me 1 problem, sticking brake calliper (seems to be a trait with Lexus)

Lexus are amazingly reliable cars if maintained and serviced correctly :)

Could also try Pistonheads.

I had a is200 Sport, is220d and now the is250 SEL MM. If you are not doing lots of mile and getting that engine good and hot you would be better going for the 250 IMHO.

I get 29-32mpg around town. Last weekend got 40mpg going to Oxford. This weekend 36mpg going to Bristol( which for me is crappy cross country run). Not too shabby for a 2.5 V6 petrol engine. Better mpg than I used to get from my is200.

I think the Sport 250 has a manual gearbox only... might be wrong. The manual boxed 250 is £460 a year road tax....ouch. The 250 SEL Auto I have is £270. So tread carefully.

Thanks for the swift reply Chris. It leads me to another question, where to buy?I'm looking on autotrader and ebay, are there less obvious places too? Really liking the look of the is250...
I got one ...sent you a few details on PM

Hello All

I have just purchased my first Lexus and have gone for a IS250 SE-L on a 56 plate 47K with black leather and the ML System and FLSH. The car has everything fitted and I keep finding buttons that I never knew I had as I have only had the car a few days. Wanted a different colour to what I normally see around, not sure if everyone else will like the colour?

Happy with the car but seem to have a rattle from the centre speaker on the dash but should be an easy fix.

Picture is not my actual car but same colour.

Richard

post-44887-0-37758200-1350243281.jpg

Hello All

I have just purchased my first Lexus and have gone for a IS250 SE-L on a 56 plate 47K with black leather and the ML System and FLSH. The car has everything fitted and I keep finding buttons that I never knew I had as I have only had the car a few days. Wanted a different colour to what I normally see around, not sure if everyone else will like the colour?

Happy with the car but seem to have a rattle from the centre speaker on the dash but should be an easy fix.

Richard

If its not the centre speaker then it will be the dash clips, also a common fault. There are updated ones from Lexus. One way to tell is to grab your dash and pull towards you then push towards the windscreen. If it has movement you need the updated clips.

Carl

• 2 months later...

Hello All

Richard

Well I thought this was going to be an easy fix!!!!

I have taken the centre speaker grill out and still get the rattle, removed the centre speaker and pulled the harness tight and still get the rattle, strange thing is when everything is back together and I drive the car and I get the rattle by applying the slightest of pressure to the speaker grill the rattle stops? It also seems temperature related.

I tried to pull the dash towards me and that seems fine. Contacted Lexus Birmingham and they want £65 just to assess the problem.

On mine, the dealer took the grill off, and then applied some thin felt material to the edges so that it would still clip back into place. This packed it out and completely stopped it rattling.

£65 is silly money, especially when they know how to fix it!

If the dash moves, you'll notice some "high water lines" on the windscreen pillars where the dash has been moving about. Mine had that. The dealer had to put some foam down the back of the dash to pack it out.This was before the new clips were available.

Both the 2nd Gen IS and 3rd Gen GS were plagued by these rattles. Some were good - and if they were OK you left well alone. Those that rattled and buzzed did it no matter what!!

On mine, the dealer took the grill off, and then applied some thin felt material to the edges so that it would still clip back into place. This packed it out and completely stopped it rattling.

£65 is silly money, especially when they know how to fix it!

If the dash moves, you'll notice some "high water lines" on the windscreen pillars where the dash has been moving about. Mine had that. The dealer had to put some foam down the back of the dash to pack it out.This was before the new clips were available.

Both the 2nd Gen IS and 3rd Gen GS were plagued by these rattles. Some were good - and if they were OK you left well alone. Those that rattled and buzzed did it no matter what!!

Well I tried what was done to fix your rattle and it works, no more rattle and the car is now a pleasure to drive again. I just put some felt from the local DIY store around the edge of where the speaker grill sits and it has solved my problem.

Thanks very much for your help :shifty:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links