Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

Am new to the forum and new to owner a Lexus after my brother bought an RX300 I decided to take the plunge on a 06 IS220D, within a day of owning it the water pump went however got the guy who sold it me to get that sorted however I am having an issue with warm starts (not even sure if that's the correct term), anyway I'm not too clever with cars so here goes.

I can get up any morning and it will start fine first time every time, also if I have left the car a while and then go to start it it's fine, first time every time.

After Ive drove the car a good 30 miles so the engine is warm then try to start it, it takes ages of turning over before it'll start.

Checked the Battery over and also hooked a jumper pack up and No change, anybody any idea of what to try or what the issue could be.

Any help is much appreciated I absolutely love driving the car and compared to the Renault Megan's I used to have so would really like to solve this little niggle

Have read through some stuff online and some people are suggesting it may be an engine temp sensor which would be an easy fix although would I've a second opinion

Btw engine tempera song inside the car stays as it should through an entire journey

Hi guys really need help on this issue soonish really starting to frustrate me, read a million things online and a couple of surgestions I've read are changing oil and filter, would thick used oil cause it to take ages to start when warm, another surgestions has been a faulty crankshaft sensor, anybody any experience around this issue

Sadly not fella wish I had hindsight haha, unfortunately though it's a case of find a fix, am in newquey at the minute gonna let it rest for a few days then hope it's gonna do the long 300 miles trip home

Was really fearing the head gasket but someone told me to look for coolant spraying in engine bay and I don't have that and it's holding coolant fine so surely that's a positive

I was hoping a current 220d owner might chip in.

I had a 220d some while back, but moved over to the 250 as soon as i had the opportunity.

If you fear the HG issue. Take a look at the underside of the oil filler cap..... any mayonnaise like residue in there?

With a cold engine....pop off the radiator coolant top....any droplets in the oil or exhaust fume smell in there?

Have you ever had the EGR valve cleaned at all? Bit of a long shot....but I had a symptom like this with my 220d. The EGR valve was coked up badly. There is a piston inside the EGR and if its crammed with soot it can stop the piston seating properly when its in the closed position. This then has a detrimental effect on the mixture of air and fuel and gave me starting issues like you describe. Its quite easy to clean. If you get it off you can scrape it out with a selection of screwdrivers. Just make sure that seating is a good fit. There are a few vids on youtube and even some on this forum. I see you are away from home.....take a look here

Best of luck chap let us know how you get on.

But of an update fella and unfortunately I don't know how to post pics

But just the right of the aux belt I unplugged something randomly and plugged it back in, it came up with a vsc warning light which has since gone out but engine has got up to temp and is still firing first time every time

Hi guys me again novice Lexus owner, I believe you are all right regarding the head gasket, however I have now fell in love with the car and have decided to just bite the bullet and get it fixed, anybody any idea how much a head gasket would cost at a decent garage

Are you saying the HG has blown?

Don't know what it would be at an independent garage. They would have to source many of the required parts from Lexus.

I saw a bill for my 220d HG repair. This was done at a Lexus garage and paid for by Lexus. It was in the region of£4000.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links