Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS220d AFS issue w/ photo

Hello guys,

Pleasure of becoming a part of this forum.

I just acquired IS220d German.

I have couple questions and would love any suggestion or advice you guys have.

First of all, my headlamps does go up/down on start up but does not move left/right while driving. AFS off blinking. So I found this part broken.
Marker no.1  -  Ball moves perfectly.
Marker no.2  -  Completely stoned ball
Marker no.3  -  Broken piece.

Can someone advice if some DIY could fix it ? Does any piece of metal can be put instead of the please no3 ? Is it possible to free the ball no.2  by soaking the part in some kind of liquid ?

Maybe someone knows the part number of this piece as I'm struggling to find any info online?

Any help is much appreciated

35bs7y1.jpg

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I am assuming this is the rear sensor

Part 3, the bracket shown on your picture is available as a spare part from Lexus dealers, part number is 48728-30040 priced according to Toyodiy.com at €3.71.

The other part ( 1 and 2) is only available as the complete sensor unit at €387.57 from Lexus but there is another way.

Take a look at the link below as there have been similar problems with a similar part on the LS400 models, the link shows what is needed to make a replacement with some threaded rod and 2 ball joints, I have made some for other members and could do one for you but would need the correct measurement for the IS220d ( shown as 90mm on the link you would need to give me the measurement for yours)

http://www.evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls400-ride-height-sensor-repair/

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder, isn't  this particular piece used to measure the height ?  Or is it just needed for a metal-to-metal connection ? I am just not sure what this piece does for the sensor. If it's just metal connection any piece of metal with some ball joints should do the trick, or am I wrong ? :/

I will visit local parts dealer to check that part number. I had no luck trying to find this piece for sale online.

I'm thinking.. If I make that piece no.3 of any other piece of metal should that do the trick ? Bit confused.

Hello again guys,

So OK, I replaced that metal piece with original part and mounted it back and looks just fine.

So now, when I start the engine 'AFS off' is on ( not flashing but is on ) and I am able to turn it off and on with the switch in computer but after ~5sec the 'AFS off' starts flashing and computer no longer reacts to On Off commands.

Any advice ? maybe I should restart somehow the system or is it issue with some other component?

So Ok . An update.

Checked the front sensor just to find this:

Click the image to open in full size.

So moving it manually horizontally fixes the problem and AFS off is not flashing anymore. Just to find the replacement is the task.

Ha ha, a spanner...ingenious.

Nice one ... hope it lasts a good time.

Just keep an eye on those zip ties. They are OK in the short term but don't last that long outside. I guess UV makes them brittle.

Good work though...well done on the cash saved.

Those zip ties are so I won't loose the spanner lol :)

I couldn't believe that spanner was exact same size and the ends fitted perfectly ( 8mm and 10mm I believe ).

I will definitely think of a way to seal the ends.

Will go for a test drive to see what AFS will do :)

Cheers

p.s. negotiated 450eur when I bought the car because of flashing AFS light without knowing the cure. Paid 6eur to fix and 2hours in total. Gamble paid off :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links