meltdown

abs slow speed at full lock cuts in

hello im new here i have been reading  other messages but ive not found one  like mine .i have a gs300 97 .ive not had the car long  .the brakes work as they should as far as i can tell .apart from  going very slow  and turning sharp .like say pulling into a  parking space  . the abs cuts in  there is no lights  on the dash  to say there is  a prob 

Can only assume it is the smaller turning radius of the inside wheel compared to the outside wheel confusing the system. Maybe some worn teeth on the pickup ring is enough to show up with the different wheel speeds when going that slow.

I've got a 99 GS300 and am having a similar problem.  When I make a very slow right hand turn into a parking spot, the ABS kicks in and acts like I'm in a skid.  I've checked my sensors on the brake housing and theres no visible wear on them.  No light in the dash either.  Any ideas on what to start looking at?

Im thinking 2 or 3 things that might be an issue though I could be wrong. But here goes...

1. Kink or twist in one of the front brake flex hoses, so when turning, pressure increases causing the brake to press slightly and abs system thinks your locking up.

2. Caliper is slightly seized on the sliders (very common issue on gs300s) so again, tight turn and caliper not sliding, the brakes engage slightly, abs system thinks you're locking up.

3. Air in the brake system. Or the fluid is really old and taken in moisture. Bleed the brakes or better yet, replace the fluid. Always worth doing if it's not been done in over 4 years. 

4. The abs system self test. My first gs300 had an issue when I first bought it whereby the abs would kick in when braking below 5mph. Pulled the fuse in the end to disable the abs. But I believe the abs pump does a self test when you start the car and lasts for about 5 seconds. Maybe something is making the pump self test when turning at low speed. But that's a long shot indeed.

I'd say it's either 1, 2 or 3, or as mentioned already, sensor or ring as they too are common wear and tear items on gs300s. Abs sensors are not too expensive, neither are the rings. Worth doing anyway.

Does it make a buzzing noise when you press the brake pedal?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ibbo
      I require a replacement ABS Brake Booster Module for my 1998 GS300.
      the original part number for the module was 47210-30160 but this was superseded by 47050-30160
      Can anyone recommend where I can purchase a refurbished module?
      Many Thanks
    • By Ibbo
      I require a replacement ABS Brake Booster Module for my 1998 GS300.
      the original part number for the module was 47210-30160 but this was superseded by 47050-30160
      Can anyone recommend where I can purchase a refurbished module?
      Many Thanks
    • By Nigel_S
      I wonder if anyone can shed any light on an issue I am having with my 2005 RX300... please?
      I noticed a little while ago that, occasionally, under normal (not harsh) braking at low speed, or under normal (not harsh) acceleration from standstill, either the ABS or Traction Control would kick in.
      The ABS "effect" seemed to be coming from the off-side front and so at a recent service I asked the garage to check the ABS rings and examine whatever they could get into, on all four corners. This they did and reported that everything appeared as it should be.
      More recently, I was advised that the issue could be a dirty ABS/Speed Sensor (maybe a small piece of road dirt or debris had become lodged etc...) and that if it could be removed it might be cleaned, however, they also had a tendancy to break if not having been removed before and so the best course of action would be to buy a new one and change it completely. This I did and the work was completed just a couple of hours ago ...and I can report that it most definitely appears that the offside front was the culprit because now, pretty much every time I pull away, the Traction Control kicks in!
      The only thing that has been changed was the sensor (Part Number checked before purchase and fitment), so I can only assume with a new sensor in place the issue has become more apparent.
      So, can anyone offer me any advice as to what to do next?
      Is it worth going ahead and changing the sensor ring, just in case, or has anyone else experienced this and has a "fix" that works?
      Any help/advice/assitance would be greatly appreciated.
      Many thanks.
      Nige.
    • By mep
      Hi everyone. It's not Xmas but might as well be.
      I had a problem with a worn rear wheel bearing. The car had been used to tow around an exhibition trailer in its early life and at 175,000 miles started to complain. I'm not complaining as 175K miles is still good value. To look at car is immaculate inside and out. Still gives 40MPG and I am still in love with car after 7 years of ownership.
      Changing the bearing I managed to damage the ABS sensor: and when trying to remove the broken sensor, I damaged the sensor ring. To make matters worse, thinking I could repair the ring, I removed the sensor ring.
      Duh! What was I thinking.
      The friend, whose garage I was using to do the work, suddenly needed his garage and so I had to move. I drove the car home and parked up.  On the way home. No Speedo. P/S Red light on even though power steering feels okay.  ABS light on. Engine light on. VSC complaining.
      So now I have a replacement hub, with ring, new ABS sensor fitted and all on the car.
      But all the lights still on.    I have tried removing the battery over night.  All lights still on except Engine light.
      Any one with any thoughts before I troll off to my Lexus dealer who will want more money than they value the car at to plug in their OBD reader. 
    • By Jason rye
      Hi i have a problem with 1 of my lexus is200. I have 4 of them now lol. I have the abs light on iv plug it up and its not telling me what the problam is.No engine management light on. Can sumone point me in the right direction what to check. Iv pinned it out pin13 and 4 i cant remember off the top of my head which pins it was iv got the right one wrote downwhere. When iv pinned it out the ABS light flashed and 3 bleeps sounded. But the ABS light still stayed on. So i dont no where to go from here with it. So i hope sumone can point me in the right direction. thanks jason