Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Required

Hi need a bit of advice off any of you legal eagles out there.

Purchased a car from dixons motors in scunthorpe a couple of weeks back after seen an advert in the local rag for a peugeot 206 zest model on the road for £7000 after dixons deposit.As i was looking at spending around £5-6000 on a motor for my partner we went and had alook etc and agreed to have it.

So sat down offered them £5000 cash and the rest on 0% apr that they were advertising, sorry cant do that you can only put a max deposit down of £2250 then 36 monthly payments interest free, then a final deposit of £3069.

All in all with metallic paint and air con it boosted the price to £7800 ish so the sales woman said i put down £1750 because dixons contribute £500 to your deposit 36 monthly payments and a final lump sum.

So i pay for it then a week later i start getting calls from the saleswoman saying that her boss is after this £500 shortfall on the deposit that they are supposed to pay for and can i come in and see him as its her job on the line.

As i explained to her i have checked the payments and added everything up and it comes to the £7800ish that we agreed.

Basically just wandering where i stand regarding him asking for this extra £500 shortfall as ive told her she will have the car back before he gets any more money off me.

Should i just not bother going down and seeing him, seen as he cant be bothered to ring me up directly and i cant see anything wrong with the agreement.

And if it was so important surely dixons themselves would of been in touch either through a letter or phone call.

Webby

If the manager was so concerned he'd call you himself. Sounds like a communication of ignorance.

Or the sales person is looking to put 500 quid in their back pocket

If you have signed paperwork and have paid the relevant amount on that paperwork, and have taken delivery of the car then the deal is done and dusted. Tell them to go and pester someone else. :ph34r::ph34r:

As above - if what you have in writing & it's signed then it's a contract. If they have mucked it up then it's there problem. Sounds like he wants back the £500 they were putting towards your deposit. Any more hassle from them contact either Citizen Advice or Trading Standards for advice.

I had a similar thing some years ago buying a new XR2 for the ex-wife from Ford who were offering 0% interest. My problemc ame out before I signed. The guy filled all the forms in and asked me to sign, I said no your figures are wrong ( all I had looked at was the monthly payment ). I had divided the on the road price by 36 in my head and got less than he had got on a calculator !! I didn't need to look at how he got to the figure I knew it was wrong. When I did examine it he had added a fixed sum on and when I asked him why he said it was the charge for 0% interest. I politely asked him to do the papers again without the figure or I would walk, he did :)

Don't forget the customer is always right :)

Quick update it seems somewhere along the line they have doubled the discount on the car, so on the paper i have that i signed for it states forward payment £2200 but i only actually gave them £1750 which is what i was told i would only have to pay on my 2 previous visits before i went ahead with buying the car.

So on the day of picking it up i handed over the cheque for £1750 + dixons contribution!!! towards the deposit.It doesnt say anything about dixons contribution just £2200 advance payment though.

So i signed for the car and every thing else on the day and drove away.

Now they are saying that if i dont pay this money they are going to TAKE IT FURTHER!!!!

Surely its there mistake and i can tell them to swivel.

If there are any legal guys out there your input would be gratefully recieved.

As you can imagine my partner just wants to pay it and forget about it but i'm sure they havn't got a leg to stand on or would they try to retrieve it through legal action?

Webby

Quick update it seems somewhere along the line they have doubled the discount on the car, so on the paper i have that i signed for it states forward payment £2200 but i only actually gave them £1750 which is what i was told i would only have to pay on my 2 previous visits before i went ahead with buying the car.

So on the day of picking it up i handed over the cheque for £1750 + dixons contribution!!! towards the deposit.It doesnt say anything about dixons contribution just £2200 advance payment though.

So i signed for the car and every thing else on the day and drove away.

Now they are saying that if i dont pay this money they are going to TAKE IT FURTHER!!!!

Surely its there mistake and i can tell them to swivel.

If there are any legal guys out there your input would be gratefully recieved.

As you can imagine my partner just wants to pay it and forget about it but i'm sure they havn't got a leg to stand on or would they try to retrieve it through legal action?

Webby

They could try, but I don't think they'll win. Try Citizens Advice Bureau. Trading Standards might also be interested in their tactics.

They could try, but I don't think they'll win. Try Citizens Advice Bureau. Trading Standards might also be interested in their tactics.

This is what i keep thinking that they probably wont even bother trying to chase it up as its basically there fault.They let me drive away with the car after signing for every thing and leaving them short in the deposit, even though ive got paper work stating advance payment £2200!!

Webby

The legal term is "Errors and Ommissions Excluded" often shortened to "E & OE" which means that even though they've made a mistake, if you owe them, then you owe them.

You'll probably find the "E & OE" on the bottom of the invoice / receipt / contract.

If it was a genuine mistake on their part, and they take you to court, they are guaranteed to win.

Tell them that the extra wonga means that you can't afford the car and will have to cancel the deal. I'm sure they'd sooner see the car gone with you than back on their forecourt!

Like I said, CAB first, then Trading Standards.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links