Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lowering Springs Or Coilovers?

gabry902

Hi all, after several months with my is200 I would make her look better, so tomorrow Ill go to local Toyota to order the original elegance lip.

There are others nice (lower) splitters but here in italy the roads are very bad so I risk to break something.

I plan for the next future to upgrade the suspensions to make it look and handle better, but the OEM pieces are in good condition now.

So I would know what is better, installing some lowering springs (-3 or 3.5cm) on the Oem shocks or wait more and replace the entire coilovers?

Is changing only the springs safe and reliable? Or I would spend for the intallation as much as for the whole coilover?

p.s. I use my car just for the street, so I would maintain a good level of comfort for everyday use.

Thanks

Hiya,

Lowering springs are perfectly safe, the best set to go for are Eibach, they are sold by Lexus as a TTE part - I'm not sure if they still do since the demise of TTE. They will drop your car 30mm and not have any deterioration in ride comfort. I have fitted these myself and can bear testament to this. If you go for coilovers the ride will be very very hard, even on the softest setting. Coilovers are not a good option for an everyday car if ride comfort is a consideration.

You can lower the IS200 up to 40mm on standard shocks and the geometry can be recovered that you will have no adverse tyre wear issues. If you go beyond the 40mm then you would have to install adjustable camber arms to get the camber back within spec and you'd need shocks with a shorter stroke so it's not recommended but entirely up to you.

Very nice to read this, it seems perfect for myself.

If I would only lower it to 30mm (max 35), do I need any alignment or regulation after the new springs are installed? Or is just a "fast" replacement and ready to use?

It would be nice if the improvements are not only aesthetic, do you feel any improvements in drivability and fun?

And the last question (for now), when my Oem shocks will need to be replaced, what should I buy? I've heard that Kayaba (KYB) makes good and relatively cheap shocks, could I consider them?

Thank you!

Hi Gabry,

You will need a 4 wheel alignment done on your car after you fit the springs as the negative camber is increased when the suspension is lowered. You need to wait to at least 500 to 1000 miles before getting the alignment done as the springs take time to settle and bed in.

When replacing the springs it is a good idea to make sure that the camber and toe adjusters are not seized or the cams are not "riding the ledge" (where the cam lobe rides over the top of the lip it's just supposed to push against). Checking these things and making them good can save a lot of hassle and a wasted journey to the alignment shop. A good spray of penetrating oil a few days beforehand will usually free up the adjusters, If that fails then you'd need them released with a blowtorch.

The Eibach springs definitely do make the chassis a lot more taut and makes cornering more responsive, so they do more than just give the Lexus the much needed drop!

KYB are OEM for many manufacturers so I'd guess they'd be fine as a standard replacement.

Very good, I can't wait to try them. However I'm not a mechanic so I cannot install the springs myself, I can only let my car in other hands and hope that the work will be done properly.

However I have just replaced my rear wheels, please don't tell me that these 500 miles before the alignent will wear them too quickly... right??

I wouldn't replace them for at least 4 years, if possible.

Thanks!!

As long as the rear camber adjuster bolt positions are marked before removal and put back in the same position then the alignment should not be out of spec to the extent where it would cause premature tyre wear. The entire job is a straightforward procedure that should not present any problems even to the average mechanic. I have very basic mechanical knowledge and I was able to do the job with no major problems.

Hope this helps Gabry, let me know how you get on!

Do I need any aftermarket camber kit, or it can be adjusted on the stock suspensions?

Yesterday they shipped my springs from the UK, as soon as I install them I'll post some photos here. Thank you very much for the help and info!!

Camber is adjustable as standard.

What springs did you go for?

If you want to further improve the handling I recommend fitting uprated Anti roll bars (Sway bars) they will significantly reduce body roll and improve steering feel.

I got mine from Summit Racing in the USA for $315 + $150 shipping.

Hi, I bought the Eibach Pro-kit.

Regarding the sway bars, I am sure that the handling will be great, but it is nice right now (all stock), and prefeer to not spend too much money at the moment.

I have a long wishlist, and the sway bars are a good

option.

Thanks!

I have just installed the new springs, now I will have to upload the photos as promised.

The handling is changed, and it is very funny on corners and mountain roads.

I can feel better the road, and the overall stability is greatly improved.

The drop is nice, but honestly I would expect a little more (only 25mm measured).

I hope that as soon as the springs will settle better, they take another 0.5mm.

The drop is nice, but honestly I would expect a little more (only 25mm measured).

I hope that as soon as the springs will settle better, they take another 0.5mm.

It can take a few weeks for the springs to settle fully, I've had mine fitted 4 weeks and it is much lower now than when the springs were installed and they've yet to settle.

• 2 months later...

Finally I've had some spare time to take and upload some photos as promised:

6653201193_97d7cf514c_z.jpg

6653193361_5e95437b3e_z.jpg

After about 2 months I still feel satisfied. After the alignment the handling is 1000 times better, even the road imperfections and bumps are less annoying.

Now the car heigth is perfect, I wouldn't go any lower. I think this is the best mod for the price, it improves the handling, the look and the fun.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Eibach springs and standard shocks and it looks and feels better. Tyre wear is equal across the tread so very happy. Going for Eibach anti roll bars this month, is it worth doing strut braces as well or do they not realy make that much difference? How about the lower braces that TDI sell?

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links