Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450H Force Engine To Run When Idle

Hi,

I was showing my friend my GS450h today and he asked to hear the engine. Of course, it was already warm and just stayed off when the power button was pressed, due to the Hybrid system.

The question is: how do I force the engine to run when stationary?

Surly there must be a way to do this when carrying out maintenance/fault finding or emissions testing during an MoT.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Giles.

Do you have a Sport mode? I would have thought that if shoved it into that then it would stay on? Failing that, leave it on and put all of your electrical items on (fan, lights etc) for a few minutes.

lol there must be a better way!!

Hi, I'm afraid not. Sports modes still keep the engine off when no power is required.

As you say. there must be a better way than draining the batteries. Maybe I'll try holding the power button down for a few seconds and see if that does it.

Thanks for the reply though!

The only way is turn the heater up so the petrol fires up to heat the cabin, wont run for long though- that's the whole idea of a hybrid!

No MOT emissions test for hybrids.

Hi Tony,

I am surprised there is no emission test for Hybrids. Still, nice that it will never fails on emissions!!

It just doesn't make sense that there is no way that the engine can be forced on when it is in for repair. Lexus must be able to do this even if it is a hidden function.

I will give Lexus a call and see if they can enlighten me.

Regards,

GIles.

Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but if you open the bonnet and the drivers door with the engine runing, it seems to stay on! As I say though, it could of just been that it had just warmed up enough to stay on. It also wouldn't let me rev it with the door open/bonnet up (well, the limited amount it does rev anyway!).

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it was a fluke or not, but if you open the bonnet and the drivers door with the engine runing, it seems to stay on! As I say though, it could of just been that it had just warmed up enough to stay on. It also wouldn't let me rev it with the door open/bonnet up (well, the limited amount it does rev anyway!).

Hi, thanks for the info, but tried it and, no, bonnet and door open don't keep the engine running.

But, putting the cabin temperature on high does seem to work for a while, which is good enough for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The only way is turn the heater up so the petrol fires up to heat the cabin, wont run for long though- that's the whole idea of a hybrid!

No MOT emissions test for hybrids.

Hi Tony,

I am surprised there is no emission test for Hybrids. Still, nice that it will never fails on emissions!!

It just doesn't make sense that there is no way that the engine can be forced on when it is in for repair. Lexus must be able to do this even if it is a hidden function.

I will give Lexus a call and see if they can enlighten me.

Regards,

GIles.

Hi Giles,

Do let us all know what the nice people at Lexus said please.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, happy new year :)

there are two (ok: three or four) ways to run the engine:

First way needs to stay in the car and on the brake.

Press the Brake pedal, shift to D and then in the "S" Mode (I know, the hybrids dont offer a "real S Mode"), now push the accelerator pedal until the engine starts...if the engine is on, remove your feet from the accelerator pedal and the engine will be stay on

Second way is the inspection mode. This way also give an running engine in the P position but sometimes if the car is in normal temperatur condition the engine will do "just the same as in normal mode" (=shut off)

How to get the inspection mode:

Gearbox in P, press the Power button two times without brake pedal, now press accelerator two times, gearbox to N, press accelerator two times again, gearbox back to P, press accelerator two times...if you do it right, you will receive an warning message from the car...

Now press brake pedal and push power button again to get to the READY mode...engine will start immediately and run without shut off (most times)

Attention: all stability programs are disabled(!) and in case of this the transmission maybe can be damaged if you overdo wheel spin or other things.

This mode is used by your own risk, no warranty from dealer, me or other!!!

Back to normal mode: Restart the car...

Third/fourth way:

Gearbox in P, press accelerator, engine will start. Remove feet from accelerator, engine will stop immediately.

But if you shift the gearbox to N while the engine is running, the engine will be still running because the ECU has no chance to start or stop the engine in N position ;)

Hope it helps (and without any warranty-do all the things at your own risk!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links