Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Beam Headlight Adjustment Upwards

Hi does anyone know how I can adjust my headlight so that I can see better as my lights are crap and almost same level as the fog lights towards the floor.

I have tried different bulbs, HID kit but still the beam pattern is pointing low. Dark days are here and I want to see what's coming ahead of me without blinding oncoming cars.

Anyone know any good videos or pictures. I know some cars you just turn a nob to go up or down.

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should ask this tonight....I was looking into this today as mine are too high after lowing it.

Here's a link to the headlight pdf info:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/is-second-generation/96503d1167535457-headlight-sensitivity-is-uneven-headlight_aim.pdf

In essence there's a small cog you turn with a screwdriver on the top of each headlight. As long as you just need to adjust the height I believe it's a simple as counting the turns and replicating on each side. I have read anti-Clockwise is to take the beam up and clockwise to go down.

I will be doing this tomorrow all being well so can confirm it.

• Like 1

OK, got round to doing the headlights. I had to remove both side engine covers (so the front one too obviously). The little cogs are to the far left/right on the inside of the wing.

Just to confirm....they did indeed move the headlight beam the way I needed.

TIP - If you look at the face of the cog you will see a little dot (indent). Instead of trying to count how many turns of the screwdriver you make simply just keep your eye on the indent when it turns. I just looked at where the indent was and then turned the cog three full spins and made sure the indent was positioned at the same position.

Oh....if you need to raise your beam you will need to turn the screwdriver clockwise for definite.

Good luck!

Thanks Pilrgrim,

I shall be doing this tomorrow as my bulbs should be here too.

Someone told me that you insert the screwdriver in a blind hole and the turn the cog which you don't see, anyways I only need to move it up a tad.

Thanks for coming back.

It's funny how a Toyota Avensis of the same age has a switch inside the car to adjust the height of the beam and you are supposed to go adjust it with a screwdriver on the premier marque.

Exdee there is a switch inside the car near the knee on drivers side. I have mine in 3 but even at max height the beam is still very low.

Doing it from outside in the cog will help me raise the beam up more hopefully.

That's great, at least you don't need to worry about getting it spot on as you can always adjust from the inside if it's too high.

The Xenon headlights don't have the switch inside the car so it's a pretty daunting task, getting it right.

I remember I had to adjust mine several times before I found the sweet spot. If you raise them too much you will probably loose a lot of foreground lighting so balance is the key here.

Guys - please understand what the adjusters and switches are for. The switch is to adjust the lights downwards temporarily to compensate for 'squat' (tail of the car going down) when carrying heavy loads in the boot (or on the back seat!.........). HID headlights don't have the switch because they are self-levelling. (Once adjusted with the cogs)

The cogs are for the basic adjustment. You really don't need to bother with the rigmarole of 'preparation' as described in the instructions early on in the thread - just adjust until the lights are where you want them - but be aware the beams will be checked at MoT time so don't set them so high that they are going to dazzle people. I don't think you can adjust so that you lose significant foreground illumination - there's just so much of it. But you can easily get to a point where you are illuminating the hedge tops in the medium distance and losing light at road level in the range you want lit!

Trial and error - but be considerate of other people when you're out testing!

(BTW - the cogs you can't see (or only with difficulty (buried in the wings)) are for sideways adjustment - you can see the up and down ones easily - once you've realised where they are and what you're looking for! They are further back from the lights than you expect (or at least - I expected!.))

Ok so I took the covers of engine bay and did see the cogs to the far left and right on the wing.

Turned it clock wise say to or three times but my beams did not go up. Tried it the other way again nothing. Took it back to where it was and then gave up.

Now I have a problem...whilst lighting up a flat wall I notice that by beam ahead is it not level and has a jagged look to it like zig zag. Before it we one smooth light/line

Do you think the cog may have moved the beam pattern left and right and not up down?

I was looking forward to installing my 55W 6000k HID H11's but gave up. Did do the 501 cree but need to do the low beams tomorrow as the side light look too blue with the standard halogen.

The non-xenon lights do not have horizontal adjustment. It is likely that the beam was moving but not as dramatically as you would like it to be.

Try again preferably against a white wall parked about 20ft away. Put a mark on the wall before you start so that you have a reference point in terms of movement.

Thanks Exdee. You may be right that I did not see the movement dramaticly so hence why I have a jagged line now.

i was hoping that with every turn I would be able to see the light move but I guess it's not that sensitive.

Will give another go tomorrow. Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links