Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h - 2009 model. Built Feb 08.

Have had to change Stub Axle complete - part came with no GS450h listed on box label, it fits correctly in suspension arm and plug connector is good. Would it be different to other variants as ABS lights do not go out?

Any advice about if disconnecting Battery to clear codes is possible?

Many Thanks

Hi Stanley,

It is unlikely that the codes will clear by disconnecting the Battery, but a fault code reader will do that.

You can buy a cheap OBD2 code reader off eBay. I bought one for about £20 that connects to my Android phone over Bluetooth. Very handy to keep in the car instead of relying on garages to read codes for you.

Incidentally, why did you need to change you stub axle?

Giles.

Vehicle was parked and struck by a vehicle hitting the side of the front wing/bumper and so pushing vehicle into the kerb, 18" wheel on a small axle diameter along with force of impact caused the axle to sheer.

On removing the disc and caliper to replace axle foolishly depressed brake pedal without inserting a block between brake pads so I guess may have also created other system failures.

The struggle I have is that the vehicle ran out of MOT Mid-Dec, so to drive it and also pass need to have ABS sorted. In addition I am uncertain if other issues have been caused as a number of warnings and lights are showing when started.

Overall a number of problems to solve, with diagnosis of the system required to aid the understanding of what is happening.

Have just read responses to my other query about the use of OBD reader and find it is apparently illegal. For me this seems a little extreme as the use of OBD readers by mechanics is permitted, so why not the owner?

I see this could bring about much debate and possibly has done, for the interest of my immediate need the decoding of the codes is imperative and I shall find a solution to it. Being an engineer my inquisitiveness will not be easily thwarted.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems. As an engineer myself, like you, there is no giving up and I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it.

Regarding the code reader, I have never heard of this being illegal !! I have used code readers for years and have never heard of this. Even Halfords sell a basic code reader and I'm sure they would want to comply with the law, so personally, I would ignore this, buy yourself a code reader and repair your car. I'm sure there are many garages out there who are less competent than yourself with code readers!!

I bought one of these ELM327 interfaces (similar to eBay item number 331206015268) and purchased the OBD software called 'Torque' from Android Play store for about £3. This is a great piece of diagnostic kit; well worth the small cost and will resolve most of your code reading requirements.

This kit will read and clear your codes.

I hope that helps.

Giles.

Have just read responses to my other query about the use of OBD reader and find it is apparently illegal. For me this seems a little extreme as the use of OBD readers by mechanics is permitted, so why not the owner?

I see this could bring about much debate and possibly has done, for the interest of my immediate need the decoding of the codes is imperative and I shall find a solution to it. Being an engineer my inquisitiveness will not be easily thwarted.

Nothing illegal about using an OBDII reader. The use of Toyota's own Techstream software without a license is another matter. Plenty of generic OBD software programs you can use for free which will allow you to clear any fault codes.

Just disconnecting the Battery will also clear the codes. If after that you still are getting warnings then there is a reoccurring fault. If you can use an OBD reader to get the fault code(s) we can certainly help narrowing down the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Diagnostics interpreted and interesting reading it was too.

Clearing the codes by disconnecting the Battery did not work (Hybrid Battery may still be supplying system).

ABS codes cleared and the lack of brake pressure to wheels removed. Poor pressure at the front nearside (LHS), with nil pressure at rear off side (RHS) was the problem after replacing the stubaxle and connecting the ABS sensor.

Additional faults were found related to brake system and all cleared with the resetting of the ABS sensor. Have driven the vehicle since this occurrence and no repeat issues. Very elated indeed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links