Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Gearbox Solenoid Location

spanky

Hi, Ive got an Altezza with a problem with the autobox.

It doesn't kick down from 4th to 3rd and the steering wheel controls are dead also the snow/power mode has no effect. The odometer wont work either so I'm Thinking it might all be connected.

I found a video on youtube that talks about electrics in the box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gkmDDV0C8

Bassically if somebody can tell me location of these solenoids I can begin to eleminate possible problems. Or possibly the gearbox brain (whatever its called)

What I got from the video is, that any faulty solenoid or connection will mess up the electrics for the whole box.

Any suggestions and or help will be great. Thanks.

I assume the car uses the Aisin transmission common across the Lexus model range, the shift solenoids are normally accessed by removing the transmission sump pan.

First thing to check on any auto transmission problems is fluid level and it's condition then move onto electrical supplies (fuses,kick down switch etc).

On the LS400 there is also akick down cable connected between the throttle quadrant and transmission, adjustment is critical for correct transmission operation so check this also.

Again on the LS400 there is also a kickdown switch located behind the throttle pedal make sure this is working and not obstructed with carpet etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific to your Altezza.

Cheers, I'll check the obvious bits. Fluid is a nice red colour and doesnt smell burnt.

I'll look at the fuses and cables. Failing that I'll take the sump off and check the solenoids.

The spare box I have came from a car that had no gearbox issues. So solenoids should be good If I need parts. If I had a ramp I'd look at just swapping them over.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links