Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h - Older Low Miler Or Newer High Miler?

Hi everyone,

I've just test driven a RX400h (09) and it's made up my mind to get one. As a lover of gadgets I'm looking for an Executive limited edition or an SE-L. My budget means that I have to choose between a newer car (08-09) with low mileage (40-50k) or an older car (05-07) with higher mileage (70-90k). Assuming excellent service history and similar condition, does anyone have any thoughts one way or the other? There are a few around at the moment hovering around the 100k mark that have already had their cambelt changed which are reasonably priced as well.

On a related note, the 400h I test drove at my local Lexus dealership was around £4k more expensive than at least 2 near identical cars offered from non-Lexus dealers around the country. Is it really worth that much of an uplift just because they are a Lexus dealership??

Thanks in advance,

David

A main dealer car will always be top price. Your not really paying for quality but for the warranty and customer service. If the non main dealer is in top condition with a good warranty you might as well save the £4k.

I wouldn't worry about mileage, these cars can take it with ease. I'd look for full service history at the correct mileage and check the various leather trim inserts as they can rip.

I bought privately a 2007 400h, 90k miles a few months ago. FLSH. £8k. Could have paid less elsewhere but liked the condition and colour combination. Had no problems. My 8th lexus in 15 years. For me most comfortable and reliable cars.

With all things being identical, surely going for the one with less mileage makes more sense? Its been used less, hence, less wear on certain components on the car. Everyone knows a Lexus can handle high mileage but do you really want to be closer to its death whenever that may be?

Cosmetically id expect a lower mileage one to be better too although there are exceptions

Worth noting that dealers have more leeway on pricing and the condition of the vehicles are usually top notch, again there are exceptions but this is the general case.

Thanks for the advance. I was thinking a low mileage example would be the way to go but they seem to command such a premium and there are fewer of them around. I suppose certain things like bushings will degrade over time regardless of use.

I'd prefer a car that had been used daily but had been lovingly looked after over something that has just sat on someone's drive being neglected. Difficult to tell them apart sometimes though especially if buying from a dealer.

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to get a car (if possible) with a FLSH either privately or from a non Lexus dealer and take out the extended Lexus warranty. If buying from non-Lexus dealer, either haggle with them for a few hundred quid more off the price without their crappy warranty or make them take out the Lexus one on your behalf.

No 3rd party warranty company (as of 6th months ago when I did loads of research) will cover ANY part of the hybrid system nor much of any other part of the car worth a fig (possible exception being WarrantyWise but I have never used them so can't comment, they will NOT cover hybrid components anyway!)

Just my take, your opinions may vary. I have always felt Lexus dealers make double what they should on their used cars.

Happy hunting and hope to see you back on the forum soon showing off your new RX!

Chris.

I certainly agree about the dealer markup! I wouldn't mind going for one up to 10 years old but the facelift versions (07>) seem to have quite a few worthwhile upgrades.

There seems to be a glut of cars at the moment with 85-95k miles but of course the cambelt would need replacing all too soon on those ones.

Hi Daveace

Just a couple of things to watch out for ( from my 2006 model)

1. Corroded underside of Roof Rack on 400h

2. FSH does not mean all is OK - Have all the brakes checked that they are not seized - in writing.

3. Rear Door has an issue with wiring corrosion. - Get the seller to open the cover and check the wire is not green corroded.

4. Make sure the Aux Battery is checked with Battery Tester. - or covered by warranty.

Otherwise enjoy your magic carpet.!

Hi Keith. Thanks for that info. I hadn't read about the roof rack corrosion before. Definitely look out for that. I also hadn't been aware of the door wiring problems. Is that in both rear doors or the tailgate?

How's the underside of yours doing? Do you think sealing is worth the money?

Hi David

Sorry I wrote rear door - meant tailgate

I dont really know about the underside- looks a bit dry and surface rusty from what I saw checking the brakes.

But Lexus have a good reputation for bodywork.

Your call about the sealing.

Feel free to contact me about the car anytime.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links