Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Issue On 2005 Rx400h

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the guys who helped me with my last issue on updating the Sat Nav DVD. I put a new DVD into the player this morning and it came up saying that the DVD wasn't right for the system and to put the correct DVD in. I then went to eject it and it wouldn't eject, I tried randomly for an hour but it wouldn't come out. At this point I went down to my local Lexus dealer to see if they could retrieve the disc before I did any damage, I pointed out to just have a quick try if they could. An hour later my car came back round with the news that they couldn't get it out, and also the ECU (could be wrong) which is built into the DVD unit and controls Bluetooth, sat nav functions, calendar etc has gone and I would need a new unit (at a cost of £2k !!) ..... I wasn't happy with that answer as when I brought the car in it was all fine bar the fact the sat nav wouldn't work as DVD was stuck in it, but everything else worked fine incl Bluetooth. So to me they must have done something while they had it for an hr round the back, they disconnected the whole system and upon reconnecting that was when it wouldn't work at all and wouldn't power up.

My question is what do you think ? If it was you would you also be suspicious as was fine going in, came back not working along with other issues !

I said I wasn't leaving until I'd got a satisfactory response and that I wasn't happy at all, I got to speak to the aftersales manager and he agreed to take the DVD unit out completely and send it offsite to be taken apart and looked at, at which point they will let me know what, if anything, was found and what could be done.

I'm a bit stuck as to what to do if it comes back still broken, as I suspect it will ? Where do I stand ? What would you honestly do in this situation as I'm unsure what I can do ?

Cheers for any advice,

Col.

Thanks PoD, Lexus have sent the unit off to be looked at, all I can do is hope that it comes back fixed, if not there'll be more arguing about what happened and who is responsible !

I'm thinking of buying one off eBay and then trying to negotiate with them to fit it for free along with a legit updated Sat Nav map ;o)

Cheers,

Col.

Update:

OK so I bought a used DVD drive off eBay and tonight I fitted it (was easy to do and I'm rubbish with cars !). Not sure if anyone else has ever had to replace it, the only issue I had really was that when I was putting the plugs into the back of the unit and then putting it into a resting place I couldn't see any screws or anywhere to secure it, so it's loose and although not moving about I just wondered if there was meant to be somewhere to secure it to ? I looked and could see nothing.

So my Sat Nav is now working again while I await news from Lexus on my original one, if that comes back ok then I have a spare and if it doesn't then I'm going to negotiate to get the latest maps from them for free, better that than legal threats and all that as I can't be doing with all that !

Does anyone know what maps are ok for a 2005 '55' RX400h, it may well be a coincidence but all my troubles started when I bought a new disc off eBay so once bitten twice shy on just sticking one in !

Thanks,

Col.

I got this from eBay for my 2005 '05' RX400h, works fine:

Toyota/Lexus original navigation DVD E19 2014/2015 Ver.1, west europe, NEW

The original seller doesn't appear to be active. Cost me £65.

I can't vouch for this guy as I haven't bought from him, but here's an example you might try:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Lexus-Navigation-DVD-E1B-WEST-EUROPE-2015-2016-/191626594833

• Like 1

Thanks PoD, I'll look for the same, the one sent to me was a copy ...

I've found that the DVD player does have securing brackets, lexus clearly have mine (probably attached to the DVD player!). Does anyone know where I can buy the brackets, google is proving impossible to locate the brackets :)

Cheers,

Col.

According to toyodiy.com and jp-carparts.com

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2005_LEXUS_RX400H_MHU38R-AWXGKW_8603.html

http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/partlist.php?maker=toyota&type=521120&cartype=3&fig=8603

The following should all be orderable from your Lexus dealer

Two brackets:

86274-48090 EMV & NAVIGATION SYSTEM-W(03EMV & 03NAVIGATION)

86274-48100 EMV & NAVIGATION SYSTEM-W(03EMV & 03NAVIGATION)

3 nuts to hold brackets to vehicle:

3x 90179-06159

3 bolts to hold brackets to side of Nav drive:

3x 90153-50012

• Like 1

Cheers Chris, my worry is that with the new one connected up and loose (obv I could take it out again but I couldn't get the connectors out of the back so I left it all connected up and working, then rested it on the floor), it'll rattle about and knowing my luck break, so I thought I'd get the brackets and secure it in place properly !

Pop into tesco's or other supermarket and pick up some sticky backed Velcro strips from the sewing section, about £1.29 or something silly like that (instead of £10 in b&q).

That'll temporarily stick it in place so no sliding around!

The unit is quite shock proof as it would normally take all the bumps when connected to the boot floor with the metal brackets!

• Like 1

I have a 2008 400h and have just bought an updated set of sat-nav discs, so I have a complete set of 2008 discs with the manual which I will let you have for a very small fee if it's any good to you.

P.M. if you wish.

Roger

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone, I got the brackets back from Lexus so all good there now, and thanks Roger for the offer, appreciated :) but I've agreed with Lexus to get a new one for free from them as part of my ongoing issue with the Sat Nav. I must also stress that the Lexus dealer have been great in the way they have dealt with this, all very professional and as I would have expected from them.

Hopefully I can be of help to someone soon on here, at least with any Sat Nav issues :)

I have a 2008 400h and have just bought an updated set of sat-nav discs, so I have a complete set of 2008 discs with the manual which I will let you have for a very small fee if it's any good to you.

P.M. if you wish.

Roger

99% sure the nav unit is a different generation between a 2005 and 2008 model and therefore discs aren't compatible.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links