Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone tried high mileage Oil for GS300 mk3?

Hi All,

My car has around 126k on the clock and seems to be burning a lot more oil than I would expect. It goes through around a litre a month, I do around 2000 miles in that time.

Firstly, Is this normal?

Secondly, I have recently been reading up on engine oils specific for high mileage cars, Has anybody tried this, would you recommend using it and are there any brands in particular you would recommend?

Cheers

High mileage oils tend to be just a bit thicker. In the old days oils were thicker and engines usually required some pretty hefty maintenance at around 50-60 thousand miles. The modern thin oil has got you to 126k so I'd stick with it.

A litre in 2000 miles is not bad. I heard people with low mileage cars, claiming similar consumption.

I did consider Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 as mine is at 150k..but went with Petronas... a litre in 2000 miles is reasonable but you can switch to sightly thicker weight fully synthetic oils like 10W-40. i will be switching to 10w-40 for my next oil change maybe valvoline max life as its said to  help recondition aging engine seals.

Hi Usman 

I do miss my limited edition Gs300. The black gs300 I have is just as good, but I still miss the LE. Anyway stick with 5w30 engine oil. I used to use Toyota own oil. It was cheaper at Toyota than it was at the Lexus dealers. Lexus were charging £52, Toyota charged me £25, I got Denso sparkplugs from the USA as it's much cheaper there

27 minutes ago, messi said:

Hi Usman 

I do miss my limited edition Gs300. The black gs300 I have is just as good, but I still miss the LE. Anyway stick with 5w30 engine oil. I used to use Toyota own oil. It was cheaper at Toyota than it was at the Lexus dealers. Lexus were charging £52, Toyota charged me £25, I got Denso sparkplugs from the USA as it's much cheaper there

Hi Messi,

I'm still waiting on the pics of your GS. The more I drive mine, the more I love it.

In terms of the oil, I intend to stick with 5w30, but there are some 5w30 oils that claim to be better for the longevity of engines over 75k, I was just wondering if there was any truth to that claim. Also, Mobil Super 3000, claims to help reduce engine deposits and sludge build up (I read that this is an issue with the GS300), Does the Toyota oil help with this. I currently use Triple QX from EuroCarParts. Still 5w30 but is quite cheap. Is it worth spending more on Toyota or Mobil?

I was looking at plugs and Euro car parts are selling Denso's for around £20 per plug and they don't state whether or not they are iridium tips. I had a look on RockAuto as per your advice and they are much cheaper and more choice. They have some Denso TwinTips for £4 which have one iridium tip and a second platinum tip for a bigger explosion. These sound quite interesting. There are also some NGK Laser Iridiums on there for £11.

Hi

I'm going to get the wheels refurbished and then I'll send you some pictures.

I got 8 irridum Denso sparkplugs from rockauto for £32, much cheaper than Lexus and euro car parts. Best to stick with Toyota longlife fuel economy 5w30 engine oil, that's what I do anyway.

Cheaper products are duty free (< £18). Other items may attract a charge of 10% duty then VAT on the whole amount. On most items this is still a considerable saving on UK/EU sourced parts.

Shipping is really quick. My order took about a week, a vast improvement on my Corvette days in the 80s when some parts took months to arrive.

Of course if we leave the EU, we will be able to negotiate our own free trade agreement with the US. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links