Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

looking for is250 auto

Hello Steve,

I believe we have answered you question in the previous tread :

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/107304-from-ls-to-is/

Generally, except of the model related issues buying any used car is the same. Complete service history is always a good sign, but my personal advise is to actually check what is in the history - e.g. are there any advisory items or deferred repairs. That could give a good indication how the car was maintained. Sometimes there are full service history with all stamps from dealer, but if you check what was done you will see that only oil and filters were changed (which are included for free in service anyway), but not any other parts. In such case it is fair to ask why the service was delayed and what is condition of those parts at the moment. This as well gives good reason to ask for discount based on the actual service history quote e.g. if front brake rotors were on advisory items during last service it is quite clear it is now due for replacement - straight on is £300 of additional cost (and possibly discount when buying).

Good luck with your purchase

• Like 1

Aside to all the bits covered.

• Don't put too much in the FLSH. Whilst it can be perceived as being a good thing, and generally it is. I find it a bit questionable and unreliable in some areas that cause concern, for me at least. For example, the air filter is scheduled for changing every 35,000 mls (utterly ridiculous). If (as I experienced) your car is at say 66,000, then Lexus won't even lift the lid to look at it. That is plainly not good practice!!!!
  • Lexus services will never look at the slide pins in the brake calipers....again, ridiculous!! They would rather hit you for 400 a corner to replace seized brake calipers every 30,000 mls
  • If the vehicle has around the 60,000 mls or is 5 to 6 years old then ensure it has had the big service including the spark plugs changed (often referred to as the 60,000 service)
  • If the vehicle has the Mark Levison/sat nav/ reversing camera screen. There have been a few reports of touch screen break downs on the pre face lift models (55 - 09 plates). If you look to Lexus it can be £2000 or more. You can find replacement screens from the far east on eBay. There are some accounts on this forum of how the screen was replaced.
  • Take a look at the water pump and look for leaks at the pulley .... another known issue.
  • Take a good look at the exhaust...very very expensive and not available elsewhere thus far.
  • Talk to the owner and you can very rapidly establish if the owner has a care for their car or not.

Best of luck. They are jolly nice cars.

• Like 1

• Don't put too much in the FLSH.
  • Take a good look at the exhaust...very very expensive and not available elsewhere thus far.
  • Talk to the owner and you can very rapidly establish if the owner has a care for their car or not.

Best of luck. They are jolly nice cars.

• As I said FLSH is as good as bunch of papers if you don't read it and check what was actually done.
  • Exhaust can be replaced with aftermarket ones -£350-£600 for rear section (the one which rusts most).
  • Well.... if you lucky enough to buy form owner directly ... dealers usually have loads of experience of how to hide the issues and answer uncomfortable questions.

From my own experience if I would buy IS250 again (and I might do... would be the 4th for me :D ), I would look at:

• Front Rotors / Rear calipers condition. Pads and rear rotors are usually fine (and cheap to replace).
  • Water pump must be replaced at least once if 100k+
  • Chain must be checked and "passed" - if no sign of check should ask why!
  • As few as possible advisory items postponed (just shows good care)
  • Worth taking a look under the car and behind engine covers
  • Do a bit of driving and push it to red line (just in case any nasty noise pops up)
  • Do quick and cheap check on MOT history - another source to see if owner was doing maintenance on time. I usually found that owners fails MOT and only then goes to fix something - not good practice.. the car to avoid. I would expect the proper care to include pre-MOT service to make sure all is fine and no advisory items on MOT. Obviously, except ridiculous ones - I have the following: 
  • "Advisory notice item(s):

Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
    Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay"

Would have strangled the guy with my hands, what a ridiculous advisory notice - "have you seen Lexus before Mate?! maybe that is by design and you should get over it, or should I remove all OE covers before going to MOT garage?! ".

• Final thing - contact the dealer which was servicing the car and ask when the last service was done and if you can get the copy of invoice. If you have V5C they usually can do this. The reason for this - people go to do service and get astronomical bill (lest say £4500 for example). Then they do not accept any items, replace only what is induced in service fee, go to the car detailers for "Full valet", then do the part-exchange. The dealer who gets the part-exed car (usually the third party) then trows away the last "shameful" service and claims that cars is FLSH and show the history up to the last invoice. In such case you can easily bring the car back and ask for all your cost to be reimbursed as this is fraud and you can easily win it in Small claims court.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links