Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Tow bar plug adaptor

Hi

My second hand RX 450h 2010 model has a Lexus detachable tow bar fitted when purchased last year.

So I have just today, purchased a Trigano Silver 310 caravan and driven to Cardiff from Bournemouth with it connected to the plug by the tow bar. But this plug with 7pins inside only allows the brake lights, indicators to work type 12n! I need a twin plug adaptor for two seven pin sockets 12n & 12s to charge up the internal Battery and fridge when driving.

Can anyone who has this type of Lexus tow bar please advise where to source such a twin plug adaptor please or have they converted this plug to 13 pin?...:winkiss:

Thanks

2ddesign

Hi

Just an update for those contemplating having a Lexus tow bar and electrics fitted might find useful. 

Lexus Bristol have told me the set-up I have is just for a trailer, which was ok for the previous owner for brakes, indicators & lights.

To alter my set-up for a Caravan, requires a new wiring loom and a few hours of labour for fitting, approximately £600 :w00t:

So at the moment the fridge and leisure Battery will not be on the to do list...

2ddesign

My option would be to fit a 13 pin plug and socket to car and caravan as they are less prone to corrosion. I did this on my 400h. The Westfalia tow bar is the standard fitment by Lexus, the Lexus info on fitting is a direct crib from Westfalia. You will also need a split charge relay which will require fused power leads from the Battery or other 12 V source. If the tow bar was fitted by Lexus as standard the I'm surprised that it wasn't fitted with a 12n 12s or 13 pin sockets as these are the only two options supplied by Lexus!

13 pin socket.jpg

Hi Gliderpilot 

Thank you for your reply and the diagram, it has as I mentioned in my first post a 12n socket already for towing. So perhaps as you suggest this 12n socket can then be converted to 13 pin, also the split relay info was very useful :smile:

Lexus did not suggest this option only saying you require two feeds of power... so new loom! 

2ddesgn

The Lexus part does need a new loom but the add a split charger does not. It does however require two 12 V feeds as one is a sensing wire and the other is the power for the caravan. Here is the wiring diagram. The two switched outputs feed the fridge and for Battery charging, The unswitched feed is for a supply to the caravan direct from the car if required.

Split charger.jpg

Gliderpilot

Thank you for the diagram, I have a quote for a new 13 pin with split charge relay at £140 + vat, or an extra 12s pin plug with split relay at £95 + vat!

2ddesign

If your caravan has a 12n and 12s the I'd go with that quote, but if you're starting from scratch I'd fit the 13 pin, as I said before they are much less prone to corrosion.

Happy towing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links