Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Please help rattle driving me mad

I have a really annoy rattle coming from the drivers side of the car, originally I thought it was the rear grab handle rattling about, or the seat belt height adjuster area. I took the rear grab handle off today to see if that sorted the noise, but unfortunately it didnt. So I tried holding the seat belt level adjuster in place so it couldnt move, but the rattle is still there. So I'm not sure it's that either. Most annoying thing is when the car is not moving I cant replicate the noise to see where its coming from, but its definately for the drivers side between doors or just to the rear. Does any one have any suggestions/solutions

I had something similar on the drivers side not long after I bought my car.  I took off the door card and looked inside, nothing, taped things down, no better.  Checked the door seals and sprayed them with silicone lube, no better.  In the end I deduced it was the door itself moving ever so slightly and that the rattle was coming from the catch and striker plate, well, actually a U shaped chrome bar.  As a proof of concept, I took some silver gaffer tape and wrapped the striker ring, just a few turns, enough to take up about 1-2mm of play.  Result, perfect, silence once again.  Hope it works for you.

There was talk..some years back ....of a known rattle emanating from within the door pillar between the seats. AFAIK it was solved by removing the centre pillar trim and tapping together some of the wiring to stop 'slap' against the trim or other parts. Maybe a bit of wadding in there may do the trick.

Might be worth checking here if the one above doesn't prove the cure.

Another theory was the door catch rattling on the "U" lock on the door jam.

The remedy as to apply masking tape to the U lock to make it fatter therefore stopping the door lock rattle.

Thanks for all the replies, did the door catch trick and it did reduce the noise slightly but its still there :-(, I did some fiddling and with the seat belt on the lowest level the noise virtually dissappears, the only issue with this is that is not comfortable to have the belt that low :-(. Im going to try wedging some foam in as I think the rattle is defo from there. How easy is it to take the B pillar trim off?

According to a write up on the US Lexus forum by our US cousins... they are...and I quote

To remove sills and B-pillar cover, just pull them off. They're just held on by plastic clips.

Hope that helps

If you want a looksee its here

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/450567-the-definitive-is-f-illuminated-door-sills-scuff-plate-installation-guide-w-photos.html

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links