Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing SatNav

PeterT

On 11/4/2020 at 1:58 AM, Kevo said:

@Peter T - great info.. could you detail how you hooked the camera to the reverse wire or what you did so that the camera shows on screen when the car is put in reverse?  Im not following it.  thanks

Don't forget that your reversing lights only come on when you select reverse and go off again when you take it our of reverse so you just need to wire the camera up to the reverse light wire in the rear of your car to power the camera.

• Like 1

As I said the power for the camera and transmitter is taken from reversing light wire in rear cluster, I can’t show a picture as car stored for winter. The sat nav picks up the signal from the camera which is wired to the transmitter, small box about size of matchbox, I left on show in boot. Honestly is very easy, have you removed the screen from head unit?  Here to help...

20180620_185303244_iOS.jpg

20180620_192456803_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

@Peter T @flookyk thanks.. just trying to see if someone knew what color or where to tap this reverse wire.  Pretend i know nothing lol.  

yes i just pulled the nav out. trying to figure how to secure the screen to the plastic bezel easily so it stays in there properly.  Someone said use foam?  Odd thing.. the radio button to open and close the cover is not working ..trying to see if its the button, wire or the unit around radio itself.

@PeterT hmm i thought i had to mount the garmin in that screen .. i threw away the metal edged protector as the touch screen wouldnt work.  but im trying to figure how to secure this in here.  

20201105_120029.jpg

As I said you dont need anything else in the plastic bezel take the circuit board out. Silicone it in, you will need the Garmin power supply run to the cigarette lighter, I found other ones would not work. Also dont forget to run the external aerial out thru a vent by top of window so it has a good signal.

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2020 at 5:22 AM, PeterT said:

@PeterT if only you lived nearby. I am looking to replace my nav screen with the Garmin drivesmart 61 & add backup camera that’s wired in so I don’t have to use the batteries. I’d like to upgrade the audio, but would like to keep factory radio & figure a way to add Bluetooth. I know I don’t have the skill or exact knowledge to do this. I may purchase equipment & have an Audio/video shop instal what I’m wanting done. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter

Recently bought a 2004 Lexus sc430 and wanting to up grade sat/nav and incorporate reversing camera. Noted your car is RH drive,I live in Sydney Australia. Can you please advise equipment you used and suggest is it an "easy" job for a car audio shop?

Really appreciate any advice you can offer

Best Regards

Ian

• 1 year later...

Good way to fix garmin smartdrive in place using exsisting 3mm tapped holes from removed circuit board and inserting 4 x 3mm bolts to fix garmin in place.

I used soldering iron to make 4 small dints in back plastic cover of garmin to locate 3mm bolts . This locked garmin in position . Without having to use glue.

Also used double sided tape to seat garmin in place before lockin garmin in place with 3mm bolts .

Its worth noting if you want to keep tilt cover mechanism working you have  to plug back in the original large circuit board in orginal position as this controls mechanism .

But you can remove all other vidio printed circuit boards within this housing.

The blue and red wires in photo are soldered on to garmin speaker and used for and additional extenstion speaker.

The Garmin runs on 5v dc so you will need to use a 12v to 5v dc adapter with fuse on 12v side . I found a 5amp 12V dc to 5V dc adapter on e-bay and wired it to back of cigarettes lighter socket via insulated cartridge fuse .

You need a basic understanding of car electrics to do the above  so get help from a professional if you dont .

Always disconnect car Battery before you start any work.

20230725_112925.jpg

20230725_112619.jpg

20230725_112438.jpg

20230725_112155.jpg

20230725_112108.jpg