Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Tyres Check Recommended

I changed to winter tyres this morning and, noticing slight wear to the rear inner treads of the summers, had a four-wheel alignment done at the same time.

Hopefully this will keep the problem at bay until I need to get new tyres.   This was the first alignment in the car's two years of life/49000km (=30500 miles).

I saw no wear at the time of the last seasonal change 12000km (=7500 miles) ago and none was reported when the car was serviced not long afterwards.

Unless their car is going to be put on a lift sometime soon, it may therefore be a good idea for RC owners with similar mileages to mine  to take a closer look 

at their tyres.  Possible inner-tread wear is difficult to see because of the car's low clearance, so a pressing of cheeks (facial ones) to the ground might be

required.

Just had my annual service and the service tech commented on the video of slight wear on the inner edge of my rear tyres. Apparently it's normal as the rears have camber set to aid stability, which then increases wear on the inner edges.

Mine have just done 14k miles and a 4 wheel alignment check is part of the major service. Everything was within specification. Overall rear tread is down to 5.5mm. Fronts are 7mm.

The legal limit for minimum depth of the tread on your tyres is 1.6 millimetres, across the central ¾ of the tread around the complete circumference of the tyre.

So on my cars rears I can have 34mm approx at each edge below 1.6 mm. It might be time to think about changing, but its not illegal.

If only the police knew that.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Just had my annual service and the service tech commented on the video of slight wear on the inner edge of my rear tyres. Apparently it's normal as the rears have camber set to aid stability, which then increases wear on the inner edges.

Mine have just done 14k miles and a 4 wheel alignment check is part of the major service. Everything was within specification. Overall rear tread is down to 5.5mm. Fronts are 7mm.

I have seen some amount of camber-related inner wear to the rear tyres in all generations of the IS, it having been sudden and severe (blistering and 

patches of exposed metal) only on one unexplained occasion with the 300h in the case of summers on their second seasonal stint at about 38000km

(=24000 miles) into the car's life shared, until then, about 50/50 with winters, namely after about 18-19000km (=11500 miles).  The wear on the summer 

rears of the RC after two stints totalling 31000km (19000 miles) certainly seems to have developed more slowly than I ever saw in any IS, and the 

winters that have just now entered their third stint after 18000km (=11000miles) were, I'm glad to say, showing no unevenness of wear whatsoever.

Tread depths at the time of this last seasonal change were  Summers (Dunlop SportMaxx) F 6mm/R 5mm and Winters (Pirelli Sottozero) F 7.5/R 7mm.

Allowing for comparative mileages, these treads are in line with those reported by Peter, and I would think the very good result for the Pirellis is

attributable to the largely dry and ice-free last couple of winters with temperatures favouring the tyres' maximum efficiency.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links