Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed limit warning ?

Looking for some advice.

I have a 32 mile each way commute to work, and at one particular point in the journey every day I get a soft ‘beep beep’ sound through the speakers. As this happens regularly and just before a speed limit change from 50 to 30 I assume it is from the sat nav system, which might be very useful except for the fact that during the journey I probably pass through 15 or more speed limit changes, and several speed camera locations, without receiving any warnings whatsoever. Strangely enough I don’t even hear anything at the same location on the return journey ! Any thoughts or advice ? If it is a warning system I would like it to be active for all changes and cameras , or at least have the option to turn it on or off.

PS. I do not normally have the navigation screen on, but always get the beep

A not to be relied on feature as the speed limits are often wrong as it is not a'live' system. Fortunately having moved to the RX it doesn't beep. I use a tom-tom with live and that is fantasia you can update their database to show latest mobile sites. 

In South Gloucestershire and Shropshire they are now using motor cycles for speed enforcement. 

12 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

A not to be relied on feature as the speed limits are often wrong as it is not a'live' system. Fortunately having moved to the RX it doesn't beep. I use a tom-tom with live and that is fantasia you can update their database to show latest mobile sites. 

In South Gloucestershire and Shropshire they are now using motor cycles for speed enforcement. 

Yes, there is nothing that is 100% - any system can only be a guide and restraint and diligence the only way to avoid points! 

I forgot to say the reason you don't get a beepton the return journey is that the camera is only recording in one direction. A gatso may however flash its light if a speeding vehicle is traveling in the unrecorded direction. 

How do I know this? 

Before retired from the police there was a busy stretch of road out in the sticks with lotstithen and when on emergency calls they fired off. If I remember correctly they only gave one flash instead of 2 on the unrecorded side. 

There isn't a speed camera there now, but obviously may have been in the past - my navigation software is as old as the car - 2014. That would suggest it is not a live system like the traffic monitoring ? So if I had it updated would that also mean it would only be correct for the day the update is installed, or from the day the software was last updated ? In which case, Is it actually worth paying for the update ?

2 minutes ago, DaveM100 said:

There isn't a speed camera there now, but obviously may have been in the past - my navigation software is as old as the car - 2014. That would suggest it is not a live system like the traffic monitoring ? So if I had it updated would that also mean it would only be correct for the day the update is installed, or from the day the software was last updated ? In which case, Is it actually worth paying for the update ?

Yes that is the case - the maps, poi, speed cameras are all as per the date the update was compiled by Lexus which may be even older than when installed. My car is a 2014 too with original sat nav maps etc - been thinking about updating but to be fair the roads change very little and fixed speed cameras don't seem to change a lot either over recent years with more reliance on mobile vans now so I wonder how much it's worth it too. 

32 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Spend the money on an aftermarket sat nav with free lifetime updates. Mine often saves me delays as tomtom data is from the movewof mobile phones in the area while the car gets its info from Blue roadside cameras. 

Or Google maps - for free - now with speed cameras too... 

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Or Google maps - for free - now with speed cameras too... 

Be very wary of things on a mobile phone. The police are now using a camera that can zoom in on cars around a mile away to catch people using mobile phones and eating while driving. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links