Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DIY Auto-Folding Mirrors for £6.49

Thanks,

It is 2006 - basically my key issue is below:

On IS250 there separate switch as part of Master windows switch and dedicated wiring for folding the mirror:

image.thumb.png.9133ea37fc43346ddbd6b2e54e9597e2.png

On GS300 the switch is part of switch panel:

373418296_1503876260430576_9126102156370856638_n.thumb.jpg.8c88bda4ba63d546e7daaec32f6fab91.jpg373076506_294751829866647_5620491989945934699_n.thumb.jpg.41d80eadac85fe1d6d3b13c7093e29b9.jpg373419017_10086133798125977_5261117187083686387_n.thumb.jpg.205f8ed98c1056a1af2abb207a38769e.jpg

image.thumb.png.ebc0bd8000640b6a146f7eae92f1c68c.png

As you can see above, there is no direct connection from mirror switch and mirror, the plug in picture is what wiring diagram has as "L12 - Outer mirror switch assembly", but if I am not missing anything it seems it is not electrically connected to mirror, rather communicates with RH/LH Door ECU via MPX?

I guess I could connect to each mirror individually (green and blue wires to grey and white), but I can't figure out from where can I pick-up switch signal (the brown and orange wires).

image.png

-----

Update:

Just figured out what all wires on L12 does:

• Pink and Yellow - is BEAN network (MPX).
  • Blue - B+
  • Black/White is obviously Ground
  • Red is Intrusion sensor switch signal
  • Light Blue and Black - headlight washer switch

@Linas.P I had a brief look at the scematics but haven't had a chance to thorougly go through the them. I do have access to all the schematics for most cars. Having had a brief look, it does appear the folding and unfolding signal that goes to the retraction motor on the mirror itself is triggered by the Door ECU. The Door ECU then has an MPX connection which seems to be linked to the switches. Therefore the signal being sent from the actual switch is just a block of MPX data which is interpretted by the Door ECU. When the Door ECU receives this data, it then triggers the relay to activate either in close or unfold polarity. If this is the case then the simplest solution would be to directly wire into the retraction motors themselves. But then you will lose the functionality of the internal button (Although there may be a way round that too)

Essentially a mirror folding and unfolding just inlves that MF and MR connections on the retraction motor to receive +12v and ground connection for a few seconds. In one Polarity it unfolds and the other way round it folds.

• Like 1

So it kind of sounds like it would require installing dedicated switch to fold it? Is that correct assumption?

Else if switch is ignored (could I just ignore two cables that should be going to the switch?), then I guess it could be simply made it to fold when car is locked and unfold when unlocked, kind of losing "smart" part of function?! Which to be honest I guess it is fine for me. In this case I can maybe tap into double-lock feature, so if car just locked then mirrors stay out, but if I double lock it then they fold. That would be neat!

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

So it kind of sounds like it would require installing dedicated switch to fold it? Is that correct assumption?

Else if switch is ignored (could I just ignore two cables that should be going to the switch?), then I guess it could be simply made it to fold when car is locked and unfold when unlocked, kind of losing "smart" part of function?! Which to be honest I guess it is fine for me. In this case I can maybe tap into double-lock feature, so if car just locked then mirrors stay out, but if I double lock it then they fold. That would be neat!

In theory, if you install the the universal mirror module like the one i've installed (I've installed over 30+ units of these on various car brands and models for people ever since I did it on my car) Then tapping in at the point where the Door ECU connects via 2 wires to the retraction motor and then routing the kit back to the original wire should actually allow the original switch to still operate. I can draw up a wiring diagram on how to wire the universal module if you want. But before that, I would suggest try this: the two retraction wires MF and MR that go from the door ECU to the retraction motor, if you can disconnect that from the door ecu and try providing 12v power for a few seconds to those two wires (one way will be make the mirror fold and another way will unfold it). When this happens, check to see if the other side mirror unfolds too. 

What i'm trying to determine is if its 1 set MF and MR wire that connects to the Door ECU. That way will make it easier to connect the module.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links