The second generation IS250 equipped with auto-folding mirrors does not allow for folding the mirrors once ignition is turned off. This is because the switch is wired via the ACC +12v supply going to the mirror motor.

Power folding mirror motors regardless of brand all work in similar way. They have two wires going to the motor. It folds and unfolds based on the polarity of the power supplied to it. The internal switch that folds the mirror basically flips the ACC +12v and ground around going to the 2 wires of the mirror motor. I initially did some testing and was able to operate the mirrors independently using +12v

I was going to build my own polarity switching relay circuit but then came across these readily available "Intelligent Universal Auto-Folding Mirror Systems". They sell on the famous bay auction site for as little as £5 from chinese sellers. I purchased mine for £6.49 as that was the cheapest seller that had UK/EU stock which came in a few days. £5 one would have taken 20-30 days to arrive from china which wasn't a great option for the price difference. The price of buying components and prject box etc and making my own unit would have cost me more than £6.49. This system is universal and works on the same principal. As long as it's wired correctly, I had no doubt it would work. 

The internal mirror fold switch still works just like normal. The module is marketed as being a intelligent folding system. This is because if you fold your mirrors using the internal switch and then turn off the car, the system will not do anything when you lock or unlock the car. It's because lets say you parked in a really tight spot where you had to fold your mirrors with the switch, and then if the system just unfolded it when you unlocked it, that would be a disaster. So the system doesn't operate if you fold the mirror with the switch before turning ignition off. If you leave mirrors normally unfolded and turn off ignition then system operates normally.

The system works great. Below is my video demo showing the end result. I will write-up a installation guide in the coming days and post on my blog and on here for anyone who is interested. 

• Like 5

Nice one Ahmed

I imagine there will be quite a few interested in this. Particularly now that Ashpoint does not appear to be offering the kit any more. 

Look forward to your write up. It may encourage me to try and do this on my son's Nissan X Trail.

Nice to see you back here again. Your mod's are of great interest and always show excellent craft and attention to detail.

Thank you @normski2 Will do the write-up very soon. I've got quite a few videos and write-ups coming as i''ve done quite a lot of electronics mods in the past weeks

• Like 1

There  are a number of these on +bay,with different "system" numbers, which one did you purchase?

18 hours ago, mikes5 said:

There  are a number of these on +bay,with different "system" numbers, which one did you purchase?

You can buy it from many different sellers. I think there are a few variations manufactured by different companies. But the one I bought looks like the following pics and the colour code of the wires are also shown in the pics below. My install guide when it's written up will be based on this module and so the colours will match this module. But technically any of the systems will work as they all work on the same principle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks have purchased this item, look forward to your guide

5 hours ago, mikes5 said:

Thanks have purchased this item, look forward to your guide

Will post the guide up soon. Hopefully sometime this week. Just been a bit busy lately.