Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fruitier exhaust

Phil1968

Hello, first post here. I'm currently looking for an SC430 as my next car & have been doing a bit of research. As standard these cars are very quiet & I'd like to release some of the V8 burble to suit my taste. Not silly loud, enough so that you can hear it's a V8 without annoying drone in the cabin on longer journeys. What set ups, if any, have any of you guys gone for? Also, I've read info on ditching the 3rd catalytic converter during the process of having a custom exhaust made, I know there are 2 more closer to the engine but does ditching the 3rd one mean an MOT failure? Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hi Phil, welcome to the club.There's a lot of info on exhaust set up here and on the US site. If you search elsewhere, read my build thread and follow the links to other resources you will find all you need to know and more besides. 

Third cat delete is not an MOT failure. If the system maintains a Y pipe or an X pipe to merge the flow from both banks and then split them again to be muffled by a rear silencer or two it

shouldn't drone or cause fatigue on long journeys. Centre resonators will make it quieter, too quiet in my view but it's a matter of choice. Skip to 5.50, and 12.15 for the exhaust bits.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Neil. I did come across your video when trying to gauge the sound from different set ups on Youtube. That's an epic build 😎 The rear silencer on yours, is it chambered, glass pack or just empty? What I'm proposing is an X-pipe in place of the 3rd cat, then a pair of glass packs where you had your resonators & then just straight pipes to the rear. 

On 11/22/2019 at 7:58 PM, Phil1968 said:

Thanks for the reply Neil. I did come across your video when trying to gauge the sound from different set ups on Youtube. That's an epic build 😎 The rear silencer on yours, is it chambered, glass pack or just empty? What I'm proposing is an X-pipe in place of the 3rd cat, then a pair of glass packs where you had your resonators & then just straight pipes to the rear. 

Thanks . An X pipe should improve the flow and stop the drone. What you're proposing has been done many times before. How loud it will be will depend on the silencers. There are examples on you tube and on Lexus World. Richard (The Lexusman) does his that way. 

Good question, I didn't ask so I don't know if my big rear silencer has glassfibre around the tubes or if it's perforated stainless steel but I'm happy that it does the job and makes the right sound for me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi I've just bought an sc430 with a magnaflow system which has a great noise but not too loud and it seems well made. It deletes the third cat. It should cost about £750 plus fitting.

• Like 1