Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450h: recommendations for new exhaust?

Hi all,

I found out that there is a hole in the exhaust pipe just after the lambda sensor... I have fixed one hole earlier, so I think it is time for renewing the whole exhaust system (or at least mid pipe and the rear section).

Based on the topics on this forum, the best solution seems to be Tony Banks. But, that is not feasible option for me, as I'm located in Finland...

I've tried to search for parts, but it seems to be very hard to find anything. I was able to find Revel (Tanabe), but that is only the cat-back. Invidia has both mid pipe and cat-back for RWD GS350, which I assume to be compatible with GS450h (right?). But those are in U.S.

Any pointers to european shops which would have parts for GS?

BR.Sami

Any aftermarket midpipe is going to increase noise. I'd "rebuild" the midpipe, using the factory resonator and catalytic converters. You won't like the price of a new OEM midpipe - the converters add a significant amount to the price, and it's VERY unlikely that your secondary catalytic converters are compromised - the primaries (the ones near the manifold that are measured) are meant to 1) warm up faster, 2) light up the secondaries faster, and 3) "soak up" contaminants/poisons/etc that would ruin the secondaries. Aftermarket midpipes tend to come with... sub-par converters.

I've replaced my catback with a new OEM unit, it's holding up but there are already rust spots. I still have my old one so next time I'll just tear it down and have a shop remake it in stainless. The new OEM catback cost me 500eur locally. The old one had plenty of holes but sound was not really affected, at least to my (and others') perception.

Sami,

Would a repair of the hole with FibreFix Heat Wrap be possible? Google "FibreFix Heat Wrap" to see Youtube repairs and people who sell it.

It might give you a few more years.

John

• 1 month later...

Update: so rebuild + Tanabe Medallion was my choice.

Hardest part was taking the midpipe off: I don't have a lift in my garage, so I had to use jack stands. Working on rusted bolts under any car is painful... and boy those bolts were stuck!

DSC_0578.thumb.jpg.7e8f9bb70192bd237ef24ede44900c1f.jpg

Here is a closeup of the holes: you can see the shape of the heat/stone shield edges there:

Capture.thumb.PNG.0e2e91db50fce3a8c043f82b4f288f9d.PNG

There is some sort of fibre matt between the shields and the pipes: over the time it has maybe flatten and the edges of the shield have started to eat up the pipe... otherwise the mid pipe was actually in good condition still.

So, a bit welding and grinding and spraying, and the mid pipe was fixed:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.2038131b52ec564cf10a7edef893cdfc.PNG

I replaced the old fibre matt with exhaust wrap and reinstalled the shields:

Capture2.thumb.PNG.16fe2871905f4a6b5c56e237bf655ecb.PNG

...and installed the new cat-back from Tanabe:

Capture3.thumb.PNG.5e6227177e664aaf138e65497066879f.PNG

Project completed!

BR.Sami

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links