Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The RX 450h

VFR

55 minutes ago, VFR said:

Where would I get one of those Phil, from the dealer (?) as google did not know.

No Brian, its the Lexus Owners Club of which you are a member for free but a paid subscription, gold member, gets you the Halfords card amongst other benefits. For example, only yesterday I bought Turtle Wax ceramic wet application polish. In the shop it's £18 but I asked for online price match and then 15% card discount so I ended up paying £11 odd. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Davehedgehog31 said:

Think you're right with that assessment really. 

If it's your only car a hatchback is definitely useful. Bar the IS sportback and the CT, Lexus haven't really produced a hatchback that's not in SUV form as far as I can remember? 

With that said, saloons are a bit more versatile than people give them credit for, my old Saab 9-5 saloon would swallow bikes and was frequently filled to the gunnels for tip runs, house moves etc. As long as the rear bench folds then they're fine for 99% of cases. The SUV shape comes with its own compromises on driving dynamics, performance, economy and more. I don't think folk fully consider the tradeoff sometimes! 

Off on a tangent. Regarding the OPs question I don't think you'll go far wrong with an RX. Having owned many different brands of cars I reckon Toyota/Lexus' engineering and attention to detail is second to none. 

Evening Dave

You make some valid points & I still miss my Saab 9-5 auto estate but they are all getting old now & of course fuel is not getting any cheaper.

The reason for an SUV type vehicle is height as they are so much easier to get into & out of when you need you are of bus pass age and not forgetting its a nicer view as well hence this type are so popular I guess.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, VFR said:

Evening Dave

You make some valid points & I still miss my Saab 9-5 auto estate but they are all getting old now & of course fuel is not getting any cheaper.

The reason for an SUV type vehicle is height as they are so much easier to get into & out of when you need you are of bus pass age and not forgetting its a nicer view as well hence this type are so popular I guess.

I agree Brian, my 9-5 was a fantastic car to drive, supremely comfortable, totally reliable, monstrous depreciation 😱. One aspect of a higher seat position that often gets overlooked is on-coming lights. Now it's dark morning /nights when I drive my XKR on-coming lights are blinding because of seat height. But with my RX it's not so much of a problem especially with my Hoya En-route specs 👍

Absolutely, that wasn't meant in a cheeky way sorry! As an RX driver myself I'm a big fan of everything mentioned above. 

The hatchback is useful and like you say the driving position is nice, for quite large cars they're so effortless to drive round town because of the view out. 

Do the modern day RX's have the air suspension system at all? The MK2 SE-Ls have a feature that tips the drivers side of the car down when you turn the ignition off to make it easier to get in and out! 

Air suspension was dropped for the 4Gen RX450h.  I have it on my 3rd Gen Premier and believe it was also available on other variant(s).  I have not noticed a sideways lean as when you describe.

Some marques models benefit considerably from having air suspension but the general view on this forum is that it makes little difference between this and the steel sprung models when it comes to the RX.  Indeed we have had owners change to steel springs when their expensive to repair air suspension needs attention.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:36 PM, Barry14UK said:

Air suspension was dropped for the 4Gen RX450h.  I have it on my 3rd Gen Premier and believe it was also available on other variant(s).  I have not noticed a sideways lean as when you describe.

Some marques models benefit considerably from having air suspension but the general view on this forum is that it makes little difference between this and the steel sprung models when it comes to the RX.  Indeed we have had owners change to steel springs when their expensive to repair air suspension needs attention.

That is interesting as at the weekend we drove down to Kent to our son's place & he was showing me what I should have considered prior to buying this one (paid for but not picked up yet as it needs PDI/service etc at Lexus Coventry where we bought it)

Dad on the 15 to 16 plate it looks like it had a facelift so for just a little more you may well have got quite a bit more (?) newer dash, newer sat nav etc etc & some came with air suspension so seeing as you bought it at Lexus you can simply say that you have changed your mind as they have that option.

I must admit that these things never crossed my mind as I was more concerned with mileage / condition / trade in etc.

Thoughts please members ?

While there we visited a place in Chatham at Bluebell hill called Motoring World (or something like that) ....................... What a god awful place that is, timeshare selling techniques for sure and I could not leave quick enough to be honest, but masses of BM's & Merc's etc and all looking pristine.

I guess the format would be as they were desperate to get you to sit at a table (I did not)

Now tell me what is your dream car !

What are those "must have" features you so love ?

Found "your" car with every thing you wish for "and" in the colour you so love (all done on screen for you to see in 3D while still sitting down)

Let me get you some refreshments ordered while I have it bought down for your appraisal.

ETC ETC

11 minutes ago, VFR said:

That is interesting as at the weekend we drove down to Kent to our son's place & he was showing me what I should have considered prior to buying this one (paid for but not picked up yet as it needs PDI/service etc at Lexus Coventry where we bought it)

Dad on the 15 to 16 plate it looks like it had a facelift so for just a little more you may well have got quite a bit more (?) newer dash, newer sat nav etc etc & some came with air suspension so seeing as you bought it at Lexus you can simply say that you have changed your mind as they have that option.

Thoughts please members ?

While there we visited a place in Chatham at Bluebell hill called Motoring World (or something like that) ....................... What a god awful place that is, timeshare selling techniques for sure and I could not leave quick enough to be honest, but masses of BM's & Merc's etc and all looking pristine.

I guess the format would be as they were desperate to get you to sit at a table (I did not)

Now tell me what is your dream car !

What are those "must have" features you so love ?

Found "your" car with every thing you wish for "and" in the colour you so love (all done on screen for you to see in 3D while still sitting down)

Let me get you some refreshments ordered while I have it bought down for your appraisal.

ETC ETC

Brian, it's time you explained to your son that from here on in you are spending his inheritance 🤑 that should calm down his enthusiasm for spending even more😎 and that happiness comes from appreciating what you have and not on the hamster wheel of wanting what you don't have 😉

• Haha 1

Picked it up today & very nice it is.

60k main service carried out as the year stated it had to be done although mileage is half that, drives real nice as you know but just before coming to a gentle stop there is a noise like a electrical motor winding down (take it this is normal ?)

IMG_0016.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VFR said:

drives real nice as you know but just before coming to a gentle stop there is a noise like a electrical motor winding down (take it this is normal ?)

Yes, very normal and very welcome.

This is the regenerative braking, where the motor spin direction is reversed and it becomes a generator, so that the kinetic energy that would usually be lost as heat due to the friction caused by braking, is instead used to generate electricity to charge up the high voltage traction Battery.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, VFR said:

Picked it up today & very nice it is.

60k main service carried out as the year stated it had to be done although mileage is half that, drives real nice as you know but just before coming to a gentle stop there is a noise like a electrical motor winding down (take it this is normal ?)

IMG_0016.JPG

Cracking looking interior 😍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links