Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight Smell of Petrol on Strat Up GS40H

Can anyone advise me on a slight smell of petrol on start up for my GS450H (2016  F - Sport) on start up and perhaps a very slight smell of coolant. Normally on other cars I've had this is an indication of a water pump issue, but I could be add two and two and getting five. The car does not over heat. Does any one have an relevant experience of this on Lexus cars?

I start mine in the garage and get a faint whiff of fuel. I would imagine this is because it is a 3.5 litre V6 engine. Starting from cold needs a lot of fuel I would have thought.

The coolant part. Maybe your radiator has a weep.

13 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I start mine in the garage and get a faint whiff of fuel. I would imagine this is because it is a 3.5 litre V6 engine. Starting from cold needs a lot of fuel I would have thought.

The coolant part. Maybe your radiator has a weep.

If you can smell petrol inside the cabin this is an issue!!!!

If you mean outside the car, yeah assume thats just where its cold starting some of the fuel isn't getting burnt till the
engine has started properly. Seems a bit off through as unless your hybrid Battery is low, I thought the traction engine
basically brought the engine up to running speed before it started actually adding fuel. 

3 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

If you can smell petrol inside the cabin this is an issue!!!!

If you mean outside the car, yeah assume thats just where its cold starting some of the fuel isn't getting burnt till the
engine has started properly. Seems a bit off through as unless your hybrid battery is low, I thought the traction engine
basically brought the engine up to running speed before it started actually adding fuel. 

Thanks for responses, its outside the car, much appreciated.

4 hours ago, mikebiasi said:

Thanks for responses, its outside the car, much appreciated.

Might be worth throwing a pot of that injector cleaner fluid in the tank next time you fuel up.
Must remember to do that myself actually 🙂

May be the injector nozzle is slightly dirty meaning the fuel isn't fully vaporised inside the chamber,
so isn't fully burnt when the engine is cold. 

That's just a vague guess through. I'm assuming the smell of petrol goes away once the car has been running a bit
which would make sense as once the far wall of the chamber is hot, it will help keep the petrol vaporised.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links