Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Front Calliper Slide Pin Broken, new carrier?

Did a first attempt at doing my front brakes as it was making groaning nosing indicating pads and discs were worn, unfortunately during the process of trying to remove the slide pins it ended up snapping on me! Turns out both of these were complete seized up and while I was able to get the first out the second snapped. Do I have any options for extracting this and replacing the slide pin or is it a new carrier slider necessary?

IMG_5568.thumb.jpeg.5d0002b3e2a85654e2a1db70c8b111f5.jpegIMG_5571.thumb.jpeg.16560601aa4127c91dab3ec8518b8677.jpegIMG_5570.thumb.jpeg.061ca98e0763b2bf7b67d2065dbd3c16.jpegIMG_5569.thumb.jpeg.a9a72ce1252958dba8b1d951de9521a1.jpeg

Given how seized the pin is I would go for a new carrier bracket.

The only other option would be to drill a hole in the other side and then try and punch the remains of the slider pin out but it looks too far gone to me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Given how seized the pin is I would go for a new carrier bracket.

The only other option would be to drill a hole in the other side and then try and punch the remains of the slider pin out but it looks too far gone to me.

Cheers for the advice Steve, that was my thoughts exactly but wanted a second opinion. A shame as I just managed to refurb my rear callipers only for the front to let me down haha, not a fun expense !

• Like 1

Sadly…. I think this is probably best advice.

But…. If you have the time to be off road and inclination.

Fill the hole with penetrating fluid…. Literally fill it and soak for a couple of days minimum.

Then learn or get someone to drill and tap it / or drill out completely + a bit of heat will help.

No guarantees even then it’ll budge….. but potentially you learned a new trick and there’s a certain satisfaction of rescuing yourself. 😁

If that all seems a bit too much hassle…. Revert to line one.

Good luck.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vintagesixtysix said:

Sadly…. I think this is probably best advice.

But…. If you have the time to be off road and inclination.

Fill the hole with penetrating fluid…. Literally fill it and soak for a couple of days minimum.

Then learn or get someone to drill and tap it / or drill out completely + a bit of heat will help.

No guarantees even then it’ll budge….. but potentially you learned a new trick and there’s a certain satisfaction of rescuing yourself. 😁

If that all seems a bit too much hassle…. Revert to line one.

Good luck.

To be fair drilling out broken bolts is something I could do with some practice on so I may try and source a carrier slider just so I can get the brake job done and on a free evening try and get the buggar out as you've suggested!  

£193.00 at LPD! or if you can wait a week less than half that from Amayama, (Picture and part number is for driver’s side let me know if you need passenger side part number).

IMG_1712.png

IMG_1713.png

• Like 1

Plenty on eBay for £99.

I'd get an eBay one to get the car back on the road then spend some free time drilling that one out, you could then sell it on eBay and recoup a large chunk of that £99.

If you mess it up when the drill bit slips, you're down £99

Happened to me before. If you're lucky and have good drill bits, you can attempt to drill it out. Worked for me on the rear one. I also broke 3 drill bits doing a front one on a different car before giving up and buying a replacement carrier bracket. It's 50/50 really.

Ended up playing it safe and ordered a new carrier slider, I was going to get a whole calliper from a breaker for £50 but didnt want to risk that being seized and having a repeat problem. Hopefully the right hand carrier slider isnt seized like the left, once thats done I'll attempt to drill it out and see how it goes 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links