Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto fold door mirrors

On 12/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, Phil xxkr said:

As to the other insatiable animal, the taxman forget any high-minded ideals of logic, rationale etc it's all about the money. HMRC correctly deduce if you can afford 40k for a car it's invariably a company vehicle so you must have a high-paying job and can afford to pay a swingeing amount in BiK. If a private buyer same applies, in this case an incremental 4k minimum over 10 years. 

For the same illogical reasons in Ireland you can buy a 2006/07 GS450H for 2,500/3,700 euros and pay 1,809 euros in motor tax while the same car MY 2008/11 pays "only" 750 euros and costs 8,000/10,000 euros. I would like to understand why somebody who can afford to buy a brand new RX450H for 93,000 euros can pay only 280 euros in motor tax and somebody who spends 2,500 euros for a 15 year-old GS should pay such a high amount. I wonder if someone in the tax office has some brain. 

Anyway after all for Bill the most important thing is that he did not spend his money on a car he would be unhappy with and he can still look for something suitable, but I understand the disappointment. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, serbarry said:

For the same illogical reasons in Ireland you can buy a 2006/07 GS450H for 2,500/3,700 euros and pay 1,809 euros in motor tax while the same car MY 2008/11 pays "only" 750 euros and costs 8,000/10,000 euros. I would like to understand why somebody who can afford to buy a brand new RX450H for 93,000 euros can pay only 280 euros in motor tax and somebody who spends 2,500 euros for a 15 year-old GS should pay such a high amount. I wonder if someone in the tax office has some brain. 

Anyway after all for Bill the most important thing is that he did not spend his money on a car he would be unhappy with and he can still look for something suitable, but I understand the disappointment. 

One of the great joys of belonging to the EU 😎

• Confused 1

On 12/18/2021 at 5:25 PM, Bill Dawes said:

Phil, yes I did consider a Takumi they had there, about 18 months old at about £36k  but tax issue stiil the same and it's not just a one off but year on year, and based on original list price as far as I am aware.

One of the virtues of the UX was the 10 year rolling warranty which, as you correctly surmise, is a big attraction, this is even better than the Kia 7 year one, the other 'premium brands' still offer 3 years from a quick survey, think I might go into an Audi, Merc, BMW showroom to ask them to explain why they have such little confidence in their cars. 10 years would probably see out my motoring days if I kept it that long. Other virtues as I have said are quality as well as equipment and comfort level, some cars do not offer that in their range, looked at Toyota who do the same 10 year warranty but not the same trim options.

I am semi retired now, working as an engineering manager at a company manufacturing high speed turbo machinery so well understand quality and manufacturing costs. Having grown up in a working class background I also understand value for money and have never been easily impressed by badge snobbery. The premium car brands have a lot of competition from the mainstream, high tech production techniques means your run of the mill cars these days are very well equipped high quality machines.  I believe Lexus are are a good quality car. Grappling with how to achieve my desire to own one  so may well be back on this forum and look forward to more scintillating exchanges with Peter.

Have a good Christmas all..

Bill D.

Having a similar background I can fully understand your position Bill, no doubt you will eventually arrive at the conclusion that suits you. The YouTube vid I referred to in an earlier post "Should I buy a Lexus" gives a good summary of why Lexus, one I can fully agree with. Not as pioneering as British Standard Whitworth but darn close 😎

18 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

One of the great joys of belonging to the EU 😎

Excuse-me Phil what this has to do with belonging to the EU? Every member state has different motor tax system. This is only to do with Ireland but I can see you are proudly out of the EU 🙄

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found it strange when I bought my 70plt having had it on the last three non-Lexus and lesser branded cars. Ive got used to it now but it is still annoying that the car has to be in ‘Ready’ mode to fold by the switch. I cant tell you how many times Ive switched the car off first, even on accessory mode would help

• Like 3

That's what I found strange for exactly the same reasons Steve, more important for us was the lack of memory setting on the electric seats. However after much household discussion, looking at a myriad of options, keeping my Niro, buying a new Niro, many other brands, we kept coming back to Lexus so took a deep breath, spoke sternly to my wallet and ordered a new UX Takumi, Sonic Titanium, white ash interior and I believe with body coloured wheel arch liners now which I prefer.

May-ish delivery, can't wait.

Bill D.

• Like 3

Phil, I meant to reply to your post 20 December. Nice to hear from a fellow 'metal basher' (a phrase that I think put a lot of upcoming generations off engineering in its widest sense, everything around everybody on the planet involves engineering)

Well remember Whitworth threads, I took up model engineering a few years ago so had to get used to imperial everything again, BA, ME threads, inches including fractions of an inch (how on earth did we cope with something like 8 37/64 of an inch). Building a 5" gauge steam loco at the moment. One extreme to the other, from this to the technology of the Lexus. Love it all, old and new.

Still don't want to get told off as this is a Lexus forum.

Bill D.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Easy folks, I really think there's no need for this to get unpleasant. A little empathy wouldn't go amiss, and failure to understand someone else's point of view does not make them - or you - foolish. Whether @Bill Dawes buys a Lexus or not does not reflect upon his character or on anyone else here on this forum. Lexus make nice cars. So do Kia.

As it happens, it's irked me somewhat from day one that my ex-demo UX250H F-Sport Premium Pro lacked a memory function, or even an automatic mirror fold, but I also missed a number of other features Lexus relegated to the Takumi pack. I'm sure if they'd shuffled the feature lists around there would still be plenty of people for whom the spec list didn't quite add up.

In my case, when Lexus made me an offer to sell me a new UX at an attractive price point to compensate for the issues I'd had with the rattles in my old one, I ordered an F-Sport with the Takumi pack. Yes, I'm going to be paying a lot of money on tax over the next few years, and I've had to reconcile that with myself. But I am fortunate enough, now, to be able to afford the outlay and therefore have the virtue of being able to choose.

It seems like @Bill Dawes will be joining us fellow Lexus owners after all, but even if he weren't I would still hope the members of this forum would extend to him the same courtesy they would to someone with the Lexus logo on their keyfob.

Bill - enjoy your car. Please do share some photos when it arrives so that we can all vicariously share the moment!

Nick

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, EvilRacer329 said:

Easy folks, I really think there's no need for this to get unpleasant. A little empathy wouldn't go amiss, and failure to understand someone else's point of view does not make them - or you - foolish. Whether @Bill Dawes buys a Lexus or not does not reflect upon his character or on anyone else here on this forum. Lexus make nice cars. So do Kia.

As it happens, it's irked me somewhat from day one that my ex-demo UX250H F-Sport Premium Pro lacked a memory function, or even an automatic mirror fold, but I also missed a number of other features Lexus relegated to the Takumi pack. I'm sure if they'd shuffled the feature lists around there would still be plenty of people for whom the spec list didn't quite add up.

In my case, when Lexus made me an offer to sell me a new UX at an attractive price point to compensate for the issues I'd had with the rattles in my old one, I ordered an F-Sport with the Takumi pack. Yes, I'm going to be paying a lot of money on tax over the next few years, and I've had to reconcile that with myself. But I am fortunate enough, now, to be able to afford the outlay and therefore have the virtue of being able to choose.

It seems like @Bill Dawes will be joining us fellow Lexus owners after all, but even if he weren't I would still hope the members of this forum would extend to him the same courtesy they would to someone with the Lexus logo on their keyfob.

Bill - enjoy your car. Please do share some photos when it arrives so that we can all vicariously share the moment!

Nick

Excellent vignette Nick, pretty well sums up what I have always believed to be the essence of the LOC ethos. 

• Like 5

Thank you Phil and Nick.

I have been a regular reader and poster on an engineering forum for many years and whilst many lively discussions take place with different opinions I can't remember any of them resorting to the sneering juvenile comments I have seen on here from one or two people, takes all sorts as they say. Still, having grown up from a working class background in Birmingham surrounded by car factories, where a spade is a spade and no room for overly sensitive 'Cissies' I can honestly say it bothers me not one jot so thank you to all that contributed sensible comments. Interesting to note that on the Leus site that announced the 2022 changes to the UX there were a few comments in much the same vein as mine.

Cars are strange things really, look at all the different makes and models available these days, many of them I would not consider but someone buys them, all of them have their enthusiasts and critics, a very personal subject to most people other than those who view a car as just four wheels to get them about, I always want to love the car I buy and hope I will love my Lexus even more because of its quality, beautiful engineering and not just a clone of the myriad of SUV type cars around at the moment (I put my Kia Niro in that class much as I like it but I do sometimes get it confused with others in a car park!)

I shall continue undeterred to follow and contribute where relevent to the posts and champing at the bit awaiting arrival of my UX Takumi (which will be the car to last me the rest of my driving days, this will be the fifth new car that I have said that however!!)

Happy Lexus driviing all.

Bill D.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Thank you Phil and Nick.

I have been a regular reader and poster on an engineering forum for many years and whilst many lively discussions take place with different opinions I can't remember any of them resorting to the sneering juvenile comments I have seen on here from one or two people, takes all sorts as they say. Still, having grown up from a working class background in Birmingham surrounded by car factories, where a spade is a spade and no room for overly sensitive 'Cissies' I can honestly say it bothers me not one jot so thank you to all that contributed sensible comments. Interesting to note that on the Leus site that announced the 2022 changes to the UX there were a few comments in much the same vein as mine.

Cars are strange things really, look at all the different makes and models available these days, many of them I would not consider but someone buys them, all of them have their enthusiasts and critics, a very personal subject to most people other than those who view a car as just four wheels to get them about, I always want to love the car I buy and hope I will love my Lexus even more because of its quality, beautiful engineering and not just a clone of the myriad of SUV type cars around at the moment (I put my Kia Niro in that class much as I like it but I do sometimes get it confused with others in a car park!)

I shall continue undeterred to follow and contribute where relevent to the posts and champing at the bit awaiting arrival of my UX Takumi (which will be the car to last me the rest of my driving days, this will be the fifth new car that I have said that however!!)

Bill D.

Oh no! 😱😱😱, a Brummie? 🤣🤣🤣. But with fine tastes, a joy to behold. (coming from the Black Country only Bill will get this 😅

Black Country Phil!!!, Black Country folk will be incensed lumping them in with Brummies.

But thanks Phil anyway, haven't lived in Brum since 1970, moving to Bewdley, Tamworth, Bromsgrove, Llanelli and finally Somerset where my wife and I  reside in surroundings far removed from Brum, very fond memories though of childhood and teen years though (1960's, amazing place to be in those times)

Bill D.

2 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Black Country Phil!!!, Black Country folk will be incensed lumping them in with Brummies.

But thanks Phil anyway, haven't lived in Brum since 1970, moving to Bewdley, Tamworth, Bromsgrove, Llanelli and finally Somerset where my wife and I  reside in surroundings far removed from Brum, very fond memories though of childhood and teen years though (1960's, amazing place to be in those times)

Bill D.

Looked at a house in Bewdley about 30 years ago , just over the bridge on the left facing the river but the empty ground floor as a precaution against flooding put me off, ended up in Fazeley and from there to Derbyshire. And yes, like you, it's very very different. Whoever would have thought of having 3 indoor bathrooms 😁? That's as improbable to believe than explaining to my 10 year old granddaughter the idea of a two up two down terraced with no running water or electricity and the only loo 20 yards in a shed in the garden 🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Thank you Phil and Nick.

Bill D.

You are so right about individual choice but no matter what you look at there is always a compromise to be made. In the spec of each model there is something you want that isn't there or visa versa and if you're in the used market you can throw colour/mileage etc in the mix as well.

The only consolation is something I saw on FB a few says ago that said “If you dont look back when youve parked your car, you bought the wrong one” Seems Ive bought correct for a number of years (even without folding mirrors 😀)

Good luck, drive safe and happy 👍

• Like 3

Parking, Uhh, brings a shudder to my spine when I have a new car. (or even not so new(

When I park anywhere I always park, if I can, over the back where few other people park but it irks me no end to come back to my car finding someone has parked right next to me with plenty of spaces either side, why do people do that? do they have to have a target to aim for to be able to park correctly or do they have an innate sense of tidiness. Beats me.

Bill D.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Parking, Uhh, brings a shudder to my spine when I have a new car. (or even not so new(

When I park anywhere I always park, if I can, over the back where few other people park but it irks me no end to come back to my car finding someone has parked right next to me with plenty of spaces either side, why do people do that? do they have to have a target to aim for to be able to park correctly or do they have an innate sense of tidiness. Beats me.

Bill D.

Because Bill, most people are in actual fact sheeple 😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

I must be the black sheeple of the family then, not that I'm anti-social, just don't like people🤣

Bill D.

Another Hemingway fan I see, who famously wrote, "The only thing that could spoil a day was people. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself"

• Like 2

Probably more Jeremy Clarkson, I have a quite few of his books but having always considered myself as a fairly innocuous type of person it troubled me greatly when I realised that I agreed with practically everything he said, or Bill Byson.

Bill D.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links