Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto fold door mirrors

Hi all, my first topic on this forum, just ordered a UX Sonic Titanium with Premium Pro spec.

Excellent levels of kit except one perplexing ommission, auto fold mirrors. It's not  a deal breaker but as I have it on my current car, a Kia Niro 4, I am truly staggered that it is not on a premium brand and one down from top Takumi spec.

I know I can just press a button to fold but what totally mystifies me is that the mirrors are motorised, as is the door locking so I am sure a line of coding in the software is all that's needed. Totally baffled.

Otherwise looking forward to delivery, predicted next May.

Bill D.

• Like 1

The fold/unfold switch would need a neutral (auto) position for this to work?

I very much doubt the dealership would retrofit and recode what is in effect a model/spec level differentiation? It would require a code file from Lexus, so might well be out of their hands. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

I know I can just press a button to fold but what totally mystifies me is that the mirrors are motorised, as is the door locking so I am sure a line of coding in the software is all that's needed. Totally baffled.

I agree it does seem an omission that should be standard. However it isn't just a configuration change. Toyota implement folding mirrors by the ECU that controls memory functions. Therefore if your vehicle doesn't have memory seats/mirrors then you don't get auto folding mirrors either. To retrofit would cost 4 figures if purchasing genuine parts.

There are cheap auto fold kits on places such as AliExpress but most are for LHD vehicles, so either don't work/fit or haven't been tested on RHD vehicles.

• Like 1

I agree Bill i would have thought a luxury brand would have included this. Saying that i dont have it either but i am now getting used to folding them in manually with the switch when required.

Peter, I did buy the model that suits me, the UX Premium Pro which is one step down from the Takumi but does not incur the over 40 grand higher road fund fee of £480. The premium pro is very well equipped including electric memory seats, for this reason for the logic behind the omission of auto fold mirrors totally eludes me, I have them on my Niro 4, a very good car but not a premium brand. I would love an explanation from whoever at Lexus made that decision but then car manufacturers marketing decisions over the years frequently does not have much logic in my mind. My Niro is a case in point, when I bought it I would have preferred a plug in hybrid but the trim level only went up to Niro 3, my self charging model is a higher spec Niro 4, baffling.

Think I will try a letter to Lexus UK to see what response I get.

Maybe Lexus will include it on the spec before mine is due next May, we can but hope.

Bill D.

• Like 3

Hi Bill

Yes it is a bit frustrating when a car has the capability to fold its mirrors in yet this is not programmed to operate on locking/unlocking the vehicle. 

It would be a great benefit to me and I wish it could be configured at a reasonable cost, I for one would certainly go for it!

Regards, Anthony

Totally different model, and my RC300h does have folding mirrors, but again not synchronised with locking. And yes, it is a pain, especially with the seating position and very wide doors.

When folded, trying to open the door without being able to see approaching traffic and cyclists is worrying, and I have to be very careful.

I share your annoyance, as l didn't check before purchase, and assumed a prestige brand would include the facility. Again, other specs of the model include it.

47 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Totally different model, and my RC300h does have folding mirrors, but again not synchronised with locking. And yes, it is a pain, especially with the seating position and very wide doors.

When folded, trying to open the door without being able to see approaching traffic and cyclists is worrying, and I have to be very careful.

I share your annoyance, as l didn't check before purchase, and assumed a prestige brand would include the facility. Again, other specs of the model include it.

Which trim level is your RC300h? My 2016 F-Sport had fold on locking mirrors

9 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Which trim level is your RC300h? My 2016 F-Sport had fold on locking mirrors

A rare Luxury model with only basic features. So not really luxury at all! Wanted a more compliant ride compared to the F Sport. 

33 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

A rare Luxury model with only basic features. So not really luxury at all! Wanted a more compliant ride compared to the F Sport. 

Even though the F-Sport has the AVS? I find the ride very compliant, which tightens up nicely when required 

Back on topic. I bought a Takumi model back in early September. Got just under £3000 plus the vat saving off the list price and a good trade in price. Very happy with the car and the spec. Imaging my shock when last month I read about the car tax costs in years 2 to 5. My fault but never knew a thing about it. Duh!! Would it have made any difference to my choice, ……… no. 
Do you think the the tax man would accept my invoice showing £39,500 as the otr price? 😂😂

48 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

Back on topic. I bought a Takumi model back in early September. Got just under £3000 plus the vat saving off the list price and a good trade in price. Very happy with the car and the spec. Imaging my shock when last month I read about the car tax costs in years 2 to 5. My fault but never knew a thing about it. Duh!! Would it have made any difference to my choice, ……… no. 
Do you think the the tax man would accept my invoice showing £39,500 as the otr price? 😂😂

Put enough into his offshore a/c and he just might !🤣

• Haha 1

As I have said, it is more an annoyance than a major fault although countless times I have looked back to see if I had locked my Niro and reassuring to see the mirrors folded in but it's just totally mystifying to not include it on the Lexus, does not make sense to me on any level.

It did take some heart searching to change my Kia Niro to be honest which is an excellent car. Some ingenious packaging design by Lexus has managed to cram less space into a bigger car, poor legroom in the back and a smaller boot than the Niro. Premium brand and 10 year warranty won me over, also styling of the UX although a bit marmite,  I wanted something that didn't look like a clone of every other small SUV type on the market.

Bill D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

My Kia Niro has electric drivers seat that has easy exit, ie.seat moves back to aid exit and entry. Anyone know if the UX electric seat is the same.

Bill.

Yes, on vehicles equipped with memory seats (i.e. only the F Sport with optional Takumi pack or the Takumi grade).

Personally I prefer having wing mirrors that don’t fold every time I lock my car. Always felt that folding every time the car is locked puts excessive wear and tear on the mirrors motor.

The only time I fold is when damage may occur, for example I need them to fold before driving into my garage so manually fold via the switch to improve the existing clearance between the mirrors and the door frame. 

I can see when the car is locked or unlocked because each door panel on the UX has a chrome door locking pillar clearly visible along the top edge of the panel. Protruding above the panel shows an unlocked car and when submerged flush along the panel’s edge the car is fully deadlocked therefore I don’t need a folded mirror to confirm I have locked the car. 

• Like 1

I like to be able to look out the window and see the car on the drive with the mirrors folded in knowing it is locked. Although the Lexus link delights in telling me via my iPad if I forget to lock the car and show me how much fuel I have etc. 

Yeah Bill i thought itwould have been standard on a luxury car with the auto reverse tilt as well. BMW on one of their forums has a section for coding. But apparently this cant be done with theUK lexus. Enjoy the car.

Well guys after much Lexus site searching to say nothing of heart searching,  discussions with sales at my Lexus dealers, I have reluctantly cancelled my order so won't be joining the Lexus club after all.

It still leaves me utterly bemused at what the thinking was on the part of the Lexus marketing bods that made them think that premium brand car with a £8k package upgrade including 8 way electric seats, electric mirrors (albeit no auto fold) electric steering wheel adjustment, smart door entry, didn't deserve a couple of buttons for seat setting memory. The only pack with this on is the Takumibut that incurs a penalty on road licence fee of £335 making it £480 per year instead of £145. A heavy price to pay for a couple of buttons and a software change.

My wife and I decided we would go to one car between us earlier in the year and we have very different seat settings so I know it would drive us mad resetting everything every time we swop. My lowly Kia Niro solves this admirably with a two memory feature.

Does anyone from Kia UK read these forums does anyonyone know?

Ah well maybe one day when the marketing team have detoxed from too much Saki they will see things a bit more clearly.

Bill D.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill Dawes said:

Well guys after much Lexus site searching to say nothing of heart searching,  discussions with sales at my Lexus dealers, I have reluctantly cancelled my order so won't be joining the Lexus club after all.

It still leaves me utterly bemused at what the thinking was on the part of the Lexus marketing bods that made them think that premium brand car with a £8k package upgrade including 8 way electric seats, electric mirrors (albeit no auto fold) electric steering wheel adjustment, smart door entry, didn't deserve a couple of buttons for seat setting memory. The only pack with this on is the Takumibut that incurs a penalty on road licence fee of £335 making it £480 per year instead of £145. A heavy price to pay for a couple of buttons and a software change.

My wife and I decided we would go to one car between us earlier in the year and we have very different seat settings so I know it would drive us mad resetting everything every time we swop. My lowly Kia Niro solves this admirably with a two memory feature.

Does anyone from Kia UK read these forums does anyonyone know?

Ah well maybe one day when the marketing team have detoxed from too much Saki they will see things a bit more clearly.

Bill D.

Ya pays ya money, ya makes your choice.

I cannot believe that a you have cancelled your order...just because the mirrors don't fold automatically...it's not really difficult to press a button.

The UX is so much more than folding mirrors...but each to their own...good luck and good bye.

5 minutes ago, cur666 said:

I cannot believe that a you have cancelled your order...just because the mirrors don't fold automatically...it's not really difficult to press a button.

The UX is so much more than folding mirrors...but each to their own...good luck and good bye.

Agree with you Peter.

Initially, I opted for a spec to be under the magic £40k
On reflection, life’s too short and I’m really glad I went with the Takumi version.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cur666 said:

He cancelled because of the extra road tax price required to include the option of memory seats! Not the mirrors. Another example of our weird road tax system.

The car costing 39K does not produce less pollution than the same car with options taking the price above 40K. 

Another example - CT registered Feb 2017 - road tax £0. CT registered April 2017 - road tax £140. Same car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links