Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Idling problems - exhaust fumes and noise

RK1975

Whilst idling at traffic lights to tonight, I was shocked by how much smoke was coming from my exhaust.  I've noticed it before when the petrol engine is engaged but this time it was so noticeable as to be embarrassing.  Sadly the hybrid Battery wouldn't engage as it was low, so I was just sat there making it look like a new Pope had been declared - it was embarrassing, especially as no other cars seemed to be pumping out fumes.  The smoke appeared white and wasn't thick but it didn't look like steam from water either.  I also noticed that the engine seemed to be a bit louder and more growly than usual.  Has anyone else had this problem or do they know what could be causing it?  I'd like to think that it was just cold weather and bright headlights behind me that made it look worse than it was but I'm not so sure.

It's water vapour, nothing to worry about. I've never really understood why Toyota vehicles seem to do it more than most others but all their models seem to. Hybrids suffer more as the engine isn't running as much, and is thermally efficient so it doesn't get as hot to burn off all the water in the exhaust. The engine doesn't rev up so high either (depending on your driving style) to force water out.

Cold weather does make it more obvious.

The difference in sound could also be due to excess water in the silencer.

Oh thank heavens.  I honestly felt like I was fuelling global warming all by myself!  It is embarrassing though sitting in a luxury hybrid that's doing an impression of a chain smoker whilst all around nothing is coming out of anyone else's cars...

I have noticed my car was a bit lumpy at idle and my MPG had dropped, On further investigation it seems to be the new E10 fuel, Since then I switched  back to E5 and the car is running so much better and my MPG has jumped back up.

Try switching fuel it may help

• 1 month later...

If it is steam coming from the exhaust then that is healthy. Exactly what you should see on a cold winter day.

If it was actually smoke black smoke or white smoke like you might see at the Vatican you should book yourself into dealer. That is not good.

E10 fuel shouldn’t make any difference, I certainly haven’t noticed that.

My mpg dropped from 61 to 48 since the beginning of September. Same daily journey, same speed. The graph on my mileage tracker tells the story. I am going back to E5 for a couple of months to see if it improves.

it has made a difference for me, Like you I was at about 45-50 now I am back on E5 I am back to 55, Its winter so it will not be as good as the summer.

I was also getting little judders when idling which was odd, I am a motorway driver and cover 70miles a day so my car normally idles well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links