Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My facelift gs300h '17bis due for its service (60k) according to the lexus website. I will call lexus of course but I wanted to know if anyone knew why this service costs fairly more compared to others I've done and future ones? Must involve additional work?

Also any chances that give discounts?

19 minutes ago, essldn said:

My facelift gs300h '17bis due for its service (60k) according to the lexus website. I will call lexus of course but I wanted to know if anyone knew why this service costs fairly more compared to others I've done and future ones? Must involve additional work?

Also any chances that give discounts?

Hello, 

On GS450h had spark plug replacement on that service and it was the main reason price was high. I would suspect this may be same reason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure it is, but it's ridiculous if it costs a lot. The plugs are easily accessible - just pull the engine cover off, then remove the coils and plugs. No other dismantling involved so way easier than on a 450h. A set of 4 plugs costs about £54 - changing them takes 20 minutes tops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, johnatg said:

I'm sure it is, but it's ridiculous if it costs a lot. The plugs are easily accessible - just pull the engine cover off, then remove the coils and plugs. No other dismantling involved so way easier than on a 450h. A set of 4 plugs costs about £54 - changing them takes 20 minutes tops.

Is it much more complicated on a GS450H?

Yes - you can reach 4 of the plugs easily but the other 2 (left bank rear) need a whole lot of dismantling of most of the air intake system including the air surge tank (what people often think is the intake manifold) It is quite a time consuming job (probably more than an hour for a technician - a whole afternoon for an amateur)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johnatg said:

Yes - you can reach 4 of the plugs easily but the other 2 (left bank rear) need a whole lot of dismantling of most of the air intake system including the air surge tank (what people often think is the intake manifold) It is quite a time consuming job (probably more than an hour for a technician - a whole afternoon for an amateur)

Yep, I find most garages just check the easy 4 on a service, if all those 4 are fine, not a lot of point in all the extra work for something that doesn't need to be replaced. Also if you are missing firings, the Lexus computer is pretty good at registering it so can provide a pretty good check via tech-stream. If one isn't functioning 100%, it should show up.

Of course any damage/build-up on the front 4 or indications of misfires on techstream, then they need to do it 😉

However because of the way the Hybrid system works to keep the engine at more favourable RPM compared to traditional engines (so more complete combustion) I've found they tend to put a lot less strain on the plugs.

Indeed - but the OP wanted a comment on the 60 K service price where the schedule says the plugs get changed. Actually, I think it's pretty unnecesary - I'm sure that the plugs will last for close on 100K miles at least.

And it's even more unnecessary if the '60K miles' service is being done at 6 years but with a lower mileage. I had the 6 years service done at a Lexus dealer with 40k or so on the odometer - I just requested that the plugs not be changed. They marked that ('No plugs') in the service book.

Incidentally - Lexus use Denso FK20HBR8 plugs and they do cost about £54 or so discounted (for 4) - not sure what Lexus charge for them - probably a good deal more. But you can just as well use IKBH20TT - that's what Denso recommend, they are slightly more advanced technology (TT) and they are cheaper - a set of 4 can be had for £25 or less. Applies to the 450h too.

• Like 1

BTW - in passing - I don't like to remove plugs for checking. The seal depends on a crush washer and once it's been crushed the seal may not be quite as good on subsequent retightening - especially multiple times. Just depend on the car's self monitoring!

On the side, after the service I checked and they charge in Cork exact 300E for 6 plugs and replacement together, which I find reasonable after all considering genuine parts and bit of hassle with engine there

Other interesting thing I have found in jap service book is that over there they change iridium plugs every 10 years/100k km, so that was the reason I did it while I was on service around 92k with my one to get it off the list (car was 7.5 yrs old then) 

🙂

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links