Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best way to bluetooth music to the sound system on RX 400h (2007)

Hi everyone!

EDITED because I kept digging and realise that this is for phone calls only and doesn't handle music... so I need to replace it - does anyone with an RX400h have a recommendation?

I've just bought a used 2007 RX400h which is in great shape.  There is a 2012 'Bury Take and Talk' cradle for an Iphone 4 installed and I'd like to upgrade to something that lets me play music etc through a newer Iphone

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance... pics in case is useful.

2022-01-16 13.33.20.jpg

2022-01-15 15.47.59.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Grom is the best you can buy , it's plug and play , no need for soldering or rewiring , any one can install it, no skills required 

You'll get music Bluetooth , usb , and iPod connectivity, it is completely integrates with your Lexus system with steering wheel controls and head unit display ( acts as if cd changer) . Sound quality is perfect 

Do not buy anything else !!! 

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-toyn_lex5_.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 7:29 AM, sergeigto said:

Grom is the best you can buy , it's plug and play , no need for soldering or rewiring , any one can install it, no skills required 

You'll get music Bluetooth , usb , and iPod connectivity, it is completely integrates with your Lexus system with steering wheel controls and head unit display ( acts as if cd changer) . Sound quality is perfect 

I presume you're talking about the VL2. And wow - apart from Bluetooth music, it has the potential to replace the utterly outdated navigation on my 2009 RX 450h with modern google maps, it seems... can anyone confirm, please?

Also - are there dealers / installers in the UK, does anyhone know, please?

Oh, out of stock... the UK site...

Edited by Brad Ched
found extra info

28 minutes ago, Brad Ched said:

I presume you're talking about the VL2. And wow - apart from bluetooth music, it has the potential to replace the utterly outdated navigation on my 2009 RX 450h with modern google maps, it seems... can anyone confirm, please?

Also - are there dealers / installers in the UK, does anyhone know, please?

We talking about Grom for rx400h ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brad Ched said:

I presume you're talking about the VL2. And wow - apart from bluetooth music, it has the potential to replace the utterly outdated navigation on my 2009 RX 450h with modern google maps, it seems... can anyone confirm, please?

Absolutely!

Have a look at my (admittedly not very professional) write-up that I did:

47 minutes ago, Brad Ched said:

You can either buy from Grom HQ in the States or put an order in with the UK distributor to get yourself on the waiting list.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Absolutely!

Have a look at my (admittedly not very professional) write-up that I did:

You can either buy from Grom HQ in the States or put an order in with the UK distributor to get yourself on the waiting list.

Thanks Herbie!

Wow, I'm somewhat horrified to even look for a second time at the pics of your dismantling the car... LOL! I'm exceptionally reluctant to dismantle anything that has clips, as I have plenty of laptop spare parts to prove how fickle those can be ;-)

Great job you've done though! I'll get in touch with the local dealer and await the precise model for 2009 RX 450h (as Sergeigto remarks he posted a link for 400h)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brad Ched said:

Thanks Herbie!

Wow, I'm somewhat horrified to even look for a second time at the pics of your dismantling the car... LOL! I'm exceptionally reluctant to dismantle anything that has clips, as I have plenty of laptop spare parts to prove how fickle those can be 😉

Great job you've done though! I'll get in touch with the local dealer and await the precise model for 2009 RX 450h (as Sergeigto remarks he posted a link for 400h)

I wander if we as a club could buy in bulk to get discounted price 

I'd love to upgrade for carplay functionality on rx450h

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sergeigto said:

I wander if we as a club could buy in bulk to get discounted price 

I'd love to upgrade for carplay functionality on rx450h

Count me in as +1 for RX450h - if Herbie fits mine :wink3: (well, count me in even if he doesn't)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Gary Wilson said:

I bought a Bluetooth Fm Transmitter from Amazon (£13.99) plug it into the power socket then tune an fm radio station into the same frequency as the transmitter then you can Bluetooth your music from phone to stereo.

Any good? Got a link? 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, sergeigto said:

Ive had a GROM USB 2 installed for years with an Iphone cable . Been perfect. But I need a replacement GROM cable and they said they no loinger supply them. The cable is very specific and ive tried for months to get one. But not possible therefore the GROM is now obsolete. anyone know where to get a new cable?  

44 minutes ago, Lee Riley said:

Ive had a GROM USB 2 installed for years with an iphone cable . Been perfect. But I need a replacement GROM cable and they said they no loinger supply them. The cable is very specific and ive tried for months to get one. But not possible therefore the GROM is now obsolete. anyone know where to get a new cable?  

What's wrong with the old cable?

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

What's wrong with the old cable?

I installed the GROM in the glove box.

The DIN disconnected, the missus tried putting it back in place, snapped two of the pins off!! 

ive been round so many audio stores and websites… it’s like trying to find the holy grail. Everyone advises buying a mini din but they’re not 100% the same. The grom connection contains a plastic stud 

4 hours ago, Lee Riley said:

I installed the GROM in the glove box.

The DIN disconnected, the missus tried putting it back in place, snapped two of the pins off!! 

ive been round so many audio stores and websites… it’s like trying to find the holy grail. Everyone advises buying a mini din but they’re not 100% the same. The grom connection contains a plastic stud 

Is it like this PS2 mouse plug? If so, just get a cheap mouse and chop it off.

1924670182_ps2mouse.thumb.jpg.c5f3a1eb71e95e5a63b2a785ff8cac84.jpg

If that's not it, what about opening the case, desolder the socket and solder the cable straight onto the circuit board? Or if you still need to be able to remove the cable, buy a different type of plug/socket and wire to that.

EDIT: You may find what you want here at CPC

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Is it like this PS2 mouse plug? If so, just get a cheap mouse and chop it off.

1924670182_ps2mouse.thumb.jpg.c5f3a1eb71e95e5a63b2a785ff8cac84.jpg

If that's not it, what about opening the case, desolder the socket and solder the cable straight onto the circuit board? Or if you still need to be able to remove the cable, buy a different type of plug/socket and wire to that.

EDIT: You may find what you want here at CPC

Thanks for the picture. But that’s the ‘classic’ that every place I’ve been to offer me. The problem is this alternative in the image has a plastic ‘stud’ in the middle. This renders this as a non option 

1 hour ago, Lee Riley said:

Thanks for the picture. But that’s the ‘classic’ that every place I’ve been to offer me. The problem is this alternative in the image has a plastic ‘stud’ in the middle. This renders this as a non option 

Aha, right. I thought of the mouse plug because you said "The Grom connection contains a plastic stud".

Is there nothing at CPC that meets your requirements?

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Aha, right. I thought of the mouse plug because you said "The Grom connection contains a plastic stud".

Is there nothing at CPC that meets your requirements?

Cheers herbie. You’re right, my error (no stud in fact, just 8 pins). 

i looked through cpc but couldn’t find anything 😞 

15 minutes ago, Lee Riley said:

i looked through cpc but couldn’t find anything 😞 

In that case then, just buy a matching 8-pin plug and socket and change both plug and socket over.

2 hours ago, Lee Riley said:

Beyond my soldering capabilities 😞 

Ah, have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I though you were just looking for a new plug to solder on the end of the lead, but does that mean you're looking for a whole new ready-made lead? I'm only thinking that if you're capable of soldering the plug, then soldering the socket won't be much more difficult.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Ah, have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I though you were just looking for a new plug to solder on the end of the lead, but does that mean you're looking for a whole new ready-made lead? I'm only thinking that if you're capable of soldering the plug, then soldering the socket won't be much more difficult.

Yeah I need a full new cable. Your replies did inspire me to open up the cable though and try to solder it. I found two broken wires and did a bodge soldering job. Worked! but only on one channel and was really flimsy 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links