Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS220D 100K Service

Hi All

Recently purchased a 2010 IS220D.   Previous owner had serviced the vehicle himself.   Car has just recently pass the 100k mile mark.   I have order a service kit on line consisting of oil, coolant, air, pollen, fuel and oil filter.   Does anyone have any guides for changing these items?   Had a look online for service manuals for the car but haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance

Hey there,

Air and cabin filters are pretty straight forward. Air filter is in the big plastic box under the bonnet, has a few metal clips and the top of the box pops out, just replace with the new one.

Cabin filter is in the glove box compartment. See video below:

Make sure to set the AC as shown, otherwise the filter will be blocked.

As for oil and coolant, I would recommend having a garage do it. The reason is that changing the coolant will require you to take air out of the system which can be kind of a hassle. Oil is pretty straight forward, but then comes disposing of the old one.

I would also recommended changing brake fluid and differential oil as well.

Thanks for the response. My father in law is going to give me a hand he is good with cars. Undertaken engine replacements himself before. Didn’t realise about the rear differential will look into that. Thanks.

In this case, you shouldn't have any issues with oil and coolant. Can't provide any info on the rear differential oil though since I had a garage do it. All I can say is use genuine Toyota oil for it.

I would also suggest reading through the forum regarding common issues with the 220D and how to possibly prevent them.

If you’re manual, might as well change the gearbox oil while your at it.

Replacement fluids are not expensive.

Fill plug is in a bit of a PIA position, ensure you can do that first. (24mm)

Drain plug is straight forward.

You will need a pump/syringe type affair to fill with fresh fluid.

Rear diff is no major drama either.

Fill plug and drain plug are both female hex so easier than the manual gearbox plugs.

Same again make sure you can crack the fill plug first before dropping the fluids out.

If it hasn’t been changed in a long time…. Get ready for some pretty nasty oil!

The drain plug is magnetic so you’ll be able to see if you have any material stuck to it.

Thanks all for the help. About to undertake this afternoon. Will have a look at rear diff and if it looks easier will order the bits. Will have a browse through the forum. Had an idea of the potential issues but touchwood car has been good so far.

Service done with no major issues. Awkward getting oil filter off. Going to order rear diff fluid and gearbox oil. Will also get fuel filter changed at same time.

Anyone else find the clips to keep the plastic covers on in engine bag aren’t the best?

2 hours ago, sammy692 said:

Anyone else find the clips to keep the plastic covers on in engine bag aren’t the best?

It's possible they've gotten brittle with age, or been removed incorrectly during the car's lifetime. ie: forced off with a screwdriver. You're supposed to just push them like a button.

I have a big bag of them that I got from eBay. Not original Toyota, but they do the job and they were cheap enough for me not to care whether they go missing or get broken.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links