Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hardly a modification...

KamD

Not much of a modification, however last night I had my very first go at piece wrapping and although there's room for improvement I'm actually stocked with the results. Watched a single YouTube video and between 8 and midnight was crawling ony Mrs.'s nerves torturing her hairdryer 🤣🤣🤣

Any feedback how to overcome the needle points braking will be much appreciated (I suppose more practice and preparation will help... )

20220509_203225.jpg

20220509_212415.jpg

20220509_214253.jpg

20220509_222714.jpg

20220509_225631.jpg

20220509_231817.jpg

20220510_002055.jpg

20220510_073208.jpg

20220510_073216.jpg

20220510_073527.jpg

20220510_073540.jpg

20220510_073239.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Looks very good to me. A job well done 👏 

Thanks, bud! But there's a fair few bits that I need to practice... Zoom in on the shifter and you'll see both needle points are broken, I just couldn't get them right - no experience whatsoever prior to this, and rushing it a bit. Have more than half the foil left, will probably retry on the weekend. 

1 hour ago, KamD said:

Thanks, bud! But there's a fair few bits that I need to practice... Zoom in on the shifter and you'll see both needle points are broken, I just couldn't get them right - no experience whatsoever prior to this, and rushing it a bit. Have more than half the foil left, will probably retry on the weekend. 

Do you mean the area i've circled? The very edge corner?
If so cover the hole and slive the middle. Then just apply heat and gently stretch downward as you keep applying heat but not to hard to deform the carbon effect. If you can remove the chrome edging and while applying heat press that back in place over the top sealing the wrap in place. If you can't remove the chrome then a very fine hobby knife and cut as if you're trying to pry the chrome plate off so it has a small edge that can be tucked in the gap.  

Other than that. It looks pretty damn good. I saw on AliExpress complete covers for the IS250 but seeing the wrap i might just go with that. Looks pretty good. May i ask how big of a sheet did you use for everything?

Inked20220509_212415.jpg.38ca61e1bcc86024b91be192e8b9ac85_LI.jpg

You know what tho Kamen that tiny bit I wouldn't worry about. It only sticks out when you zoom into it or in actual size concentrate on it.

15 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Do you mean the area i've circled? The very edge corner?
If so cover the hole and slive the middle. Then just apply heat and gently stretch downward as you keep applying heat but not to hard to deform the carbon effect. If you can remove the chrome edging and while applying heat press that back in place over the top sealing the wrap in place. If you can't remove the chrome then a very fine hobby knife and cut as if you're trying to pry the chrome plate off so it has a small edge that can be tucked in the gap.  

Other than that. It looks pretty damn good. I saw on AliExpress complete covers for the IS250 but seeing the wrap i might just go with that. Looks pretty good. May i ask how big of a sheet did you use for everything?

Inked20220509_212415.jpg.38ca61e1bcc86024b91be192e8b9ac85_LI.jpg

300x3000mm off of amazon, £12, more than half of it left. I'm talking about the opposite to your circle bits... once chrome plastic removed, they're very thin and sharp, just didn't get them right. I suppose I'll just "Sharpie" these 2 dots to take my eyes of them.

FYI chrome bit comes from underside, unfortunately otherwise there wouldn't have been any imperfections. My initial thoughts when I started were - piece of p**s I'll just shove that in to press the wrap... Much to my disappointment you can see that bit on the table - it's a whole plate, for some reason.

Or can actually take that centre bit off on the weekend and have at it again... 😅

Thanks, Vlad! Much appreciated!

Ow i see. I didn't notice that the first time around. Just tells you it was a pretty damn good job and without knowing you wouldn't pick it up.  

If you give it another go just use a little heat and be extra gentle to not rip it. Don't apply as much tension when pulling on it, it's a real problem just cut and tuck using the chrome plastic to cover the edge. But honestly it looks pretty damn good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Ow i see. I didn't notice that the first time around. Just tells you it was a pretty damn good job and without knowing you wouldn't pick it up.  

If you give it another go just use a little heat and be extra gentle to not rip it. Don't apply as much tension when pulling on it, it's a real problem just cut and tuck using the chrome plastic to cover the edge. But honestly it looks pretty damn good.

Reread my previous reply  I forgot to mention the chrome bit, now explained... Couldn't do that 😭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KamD said:

Reread my previous reply  I forgot to mention the chrome bit, now explained... Couldn't do that 😭

Ahh got it. I see now. Sorry i assumed the chrome pressed down not popped up from under it. So what you did was wrap the cover then as you popped the chrome back through it tore and lifted the wrap correct?  

If that's the case you could try adding some electrical tape to the edge (Use heat to mould it around the corners) so when you pop the plastic back through it has a buffer and should only tear the tape leaving behind the wrap in good condition. Otherwise it would be pushing the wrap up against the chrome plate and using a hobby knife to get it in the edge instead.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Ahh got it. I see now. Sorry i assumed the chrome pressed down not popped up from under it. So what you did was wrap the cover then as you popped the chrome back through it tore and lifted the wrap correct?  

If that's the case you could try adding some electrical tape to the edge (Use heat to mould it around the corners) so when you pop the plastic back through it has a buffer and should only tear the tape leaving behind the wrap in good condition. Otherwise it would be pushing the wrap up against the chrome plate and using a hobby knife to get it in the edge instead.

Will definitely try that. Thank you!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links