Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lexus is 220d 2007.

Could any one help, ! with only getting 25/27 miles  to the gal and 34 on a long run any way to get more miles to the gal,  ??? the car runs really well no problems just coming up to 56,400 miles on the clock  real mile age . just seems should get more miles to the gal. as fuel prices are very expensive now,

Depends on the drive you doing and speeds. If road is empty and you just cruising around I would expect higher MPG, maybe ~45-55MPG on motorway, but again assuming you just turn cruise control to 70MPH and drive without touching neither brakes not accelerator for 50 miles. 

25-27MPG  in the city, that is about right, depends how busy it is, how much you have to stop, probably you can expect closer to 30MPG, but that is not massive difference.

Why... could be many things, tyres (make sure they not underinflated), check brakes and make sure callipers are not stuck and not dragging pads, when was last service? when gearbox was serviced ?It could be other things like pugged DPF or EGR, it could be leaking injectors (although I would expect code for that). Overall it is quite hard to say why MPG is higher, especially because a lot depends on driver as well, so one has to assume that you driving very economically to say MPG is low, because for some drivers that may be normal MPG. 

On 5/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, Linas.P said:

probably you can expect closer to 30MPG, but that is not massive difference.

tyres (make sure they not underinflated), check brakes and make sure callipers are not stuck and not dragging pads

My petrol IS250 averages 28mpg doing the 3 mile school run every day for a week.
Tyre's have been inflated to 40psi front and 44psi rears  

Callipers are a BIG deal. My front drivers and rear passenger was binding due to stuck slider pins which resulted in my MPG dropping to under 20mpg before i fixed that issue.
So to @Martthedart i'd check these ASAP. Just jack up each corner and give the wheels a good spin. If there's friction or you can't wiggle the calliper then i'd take them apart and give them a good clean/grease if you can get the slider pins out.

Also check the intake of the turbo. No oil should be seen nor any play with the turbine.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Just jack up each corner and give the wheels a good spin.

Even easier option to check for binding brakes, see how hot each wheel is after a reasonable length drive, normally you would expect front wheels to be warm but not too hot to touch and equal temperatures, rears should be barely warm.

2 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

front wheels to be warm but not too hot to touch 

Really? My front disks are red hot after driving 😁

Generally, I agree - I would see stuck calliper right away after driving, but I advise not touching it as it could be really hot. I only ever had one of my real callipers stuck and after driving and it was literally smoking from the wheel.

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Really? My front disks are red hot after driving 😁

Yes, but I said wheel not the disk, obviously it's only a rough and ready check but should give an indication on whether there is a significant brake binding problem.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links