Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera

Ken Timbers

You give us too much praise Ken, you are a fortunate man that you can get the job done by a professional, watch someone working (which I have always found to be very relaxing) and have the money to pay the bill!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

You give us too much praise Ken, you are a fortunate man that you can get the job done by a professional, watch someone working (which I have always found to be very relaxing) and have the money to pay the bill!

Really glad you got it sorted Ken. I have found the SC430mods.com camera works really well. Hopefully now you won’t have any further problems but if you do you know there is is a wealth of fellow owners only to willing to help. I must admit I have always been the sort of person who will attempt most things as I like the challenge and I suppose the satisfaction of having achieved something new. I am a bit tight when it comes to spending money as well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I like the challenge and I suppose the satisfaction of having achieved something new.

I know what you mean and I've experienced quite a lot of that in my career, but little of my technical knowledge transfers into practical help with my subsequent life—especially car electronics! I won't bore you with the detail, but as an example, there's little call for the know-how of an international project manager of artillery weapons in retirement!

Fortunately, it left me with sufficient funds to pay for my needs. There are times when I'd like to have hands-on know-how, but I've left it a bit late to start now!

• Like 1

Don't knock yourself Ken that's a fancy title and I bet you didn't get it if you weren't full of appropriate knowledge and skill.

There must be a small task you can undertake on your car which you could start with. It would help your confidence to look at a further project. 

The biggest thing is to not worry and have fun doing it!

Anthony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought it was time I updated on my experience with the car. I'm glad to say that, on the whole, it is all going well, but on Tuesday this week I had a recurrence of the random horn sounding. It was only about three fairly quick hoots, but since my hands were nowhere near the button, they were due to something other than my input. I was on the M2 motorway, just after coming out of the 50 mph zone and beginning to accelerate gently in quite heavy rain.

I drove on to my destination in North Kent and, about an hour later returned home, by which time the weather had cleared up. I tried varying speeds and both gentle and aggressive accelerations, but the fault didn't repeat. On a short run today, again there was no repetition.

I'm not sure how best to proceed. When the car was in Lexus (Sidcup)'s hands, they had an old hand who was about to retire, but he took time to have a long look at the car. He well remembered the SC430 and he did every test he could think of, including of course a check of the fault codes, and found nothing wrong. In fact, he said the car was in great condition. I know they don't have that same mechanic any longer, and if he couldn't find the problem there's not much chance of anyone else finding it. At the same time, it's a bit like a 'sword of Damocles' as far as I'm concerned. I know now that I can stop the horn sounding by simply disconnecting it from the battery—the leads pull off quite easily. But that would leave me with an illegal car.

The alternative is to put it back in their hands and refuse to have it back until they've sorted it out—after all, it came to me with that fault, and although it didn't show up for some weeks after I took delivery, it still occurred during the short warranty period I was given. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion, short of giving up the car and finding something else?

• Like 1

Hi Ken

It sounds like you have probably got a short somewhere in the wiring and an intermittent fault like this that you can't replicate is the worst problem to fix.

Personally I would not be happy to disconnect the horn because that would be illegal and unsafe.

I would personally contemplate getting a trusted and competent auto electrician to rewire the horn to the fuse and the pad.

I wish you luck

Anthony

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links