Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3sge NA > NA-T+RWD conversion | SXE10, GXE10

waddapoh

Hi. I searched the forum but found no specific answers to my questions. Most are general that the block is "the same" as in beams etc etc nothing direct and precised...

1. Gearbox. Most people think that the easiest way to use the j160 from altezza (I'm not from the UK, it's hard for me. But we have a lot of j160 from the is200, which as we know has a different bolt pattern) - Are there any other options for the p & p box? I read from other forums that the rwd v6 toyota 5vz bell fits - but this one is also difficult to access. I would like to combine it with the j160 with the is200 - someone did the adapter, maybe under the 3sge beams to the j160 box with the is200? I have not found. I know that there is a lot of bellhousings that will fit, but it is again about next bag of money to buy r154/w58, clutches for them, converting my chassis for this etc etc. I already have clutch for 3sgte (used in 1g-fe)

2. Engine mounts / oil pan. If we use those from the altezza, it will be necessary to remake the oil pan - there are some ready-made or just custom solutions for this. All I found was dry sump kits. I saw a few designs with inclined 3sgte like bmw engines - I wonder how the oil pan is resolved there. It seems to me that the stock remains - if anyone knows something, please let me know 

3. Water. From what I can figure out, 3sge, 3sgte (fwd) blocks have water in the opposite place to the 3sge rwd block from altezza. Also the question about the p & p thing - someone solved it, maybe he found a ready solution?

4. Engine blocks. As I wrote above, the differences between rwd 3sge and fwd 3sge are the oil pan and the water hole in the block. I am thinking of fitting the turbo exhaust manifolds from BEAMS to the 3sge rev3 or even the intake. It is much easier to find a turbo kit for rwd for beams than for a special rwd conversion for 3sge / 3sgte. Maybe you know something about other differences than the ones I mentioned?

5. 3sge rev3. I am also wondering about the durability of these engines in the case of turbo. From what I found on the 3sge rev3 schematics, which is produced in europe, it has oil squirters in block. Japanese versions do not. Also, if true, the difference with the GTE is a different CR - probably due only to a different piston (both versions have aluminum pistons), the connecting rods and shaft are identical to the 3sgte. In mine, I would use original pistons and cranks. With the difference that the addition would be a decompression plate. I don't expect crazy powers.

And now a few "why so and not otherwise" only to limit spam in the topic - I have been a "voyeur" user of the forum for a long time, but today I decided to create an account  And from what I noticed, in the case of such topics, most of the answers concern what I will describe below.

-Why not 1gfe + turbo
First, although the 1g-fe is a super engine - I'm not talking about the power, it loses support from Toyota. Even recently, they have stopped producing oil pumps, only parts for their remanufacturing are available. In addition, there is a total lack of aftermarket when it comes to connecting rods or pistons (only pauter, or IKE - You know what the price - not very profitable to spend on this engine, or from the GTE version, which are of dubious quality after many years of use, and hardly available). Main reason - parts and aftermarket availability.

-Why not JZ / UZ
The naturally aspirated JZ doesn't satisfy me, and the GTE or GE-T are currently costing sick money, not to mention the money for the rest of the swap stuff. The situation with the UZ is slightly different, because while the power is sufficient, the same as in the case of the JZ due to the characteristics of the engine's power output, the J160 gearbox has no right to exist with serious use. Yes, I know, there are those who drive 400-500hp with the j160 and it does - this is roulette and anyone who has dealt with a few will say it. Also, the main reason for rejecting these engines is $, and the contribution beyond the engine itself.

-Why 3sge rev3, not GTE or beams and why 3sge in general

The reason is simple, the price and the swap process. A healthy 3sge rev3 costs about 360-550gbp in my country. For comparison, GTE 2400-3200, and beams, if already put up for sale, cost around 2200-2400, bare without ecu etc. So for the price of 360-550 gbp, I have an engine that has the same shaft, connecting rods as the GTE, which last a lot - I don't know about pistons. And most importantly (this is what i mean by swap process), in the case of Beams and GTE, I would have to modify the exhaust manifolds anyway - my car is LHD, and in case GTE also being RWD is little wall. I think the reason for choosing the 3sge rev3 and not the other 2 is clear now.

-Why old 4 cylinders, not something newer, e.g. 2gr

A 2gr manual would be a perfect swap, even if it costs a little more. P & p gearbox with is250. However, there is a problem with the engine control. In my country, most of the GRs are European hybrid ****, so direct injection. Now find cheap ecu that will control it without problem. OEM ecu is out, I want standalone. In the case of the 3sge rev3, the simplest standalone is sufficient, which does not have to control changing phases etc. And there is the availability of the 2GR engine, most of it is 3-4GR-FSE with the is250 / gs300

I think I have explained everything. I am counting on your help if I missed something on this forum and it would be useful - thank you in advance for the links to the topics.

PS. Yes, I know that Dave from the drift game is building a s15 with the same or a similar engine, I watched - but I had the idea for a 3sge-t for a long time when 2jzs, SRs etc started getting crazy prices but I did not think about it seriously. However, the limited availability of parts for the current engine made me start thinking about it more seriously, and Dave's film to add its contribution to motivation - a similar idea when it comes to the engine for the daily car 

toyotasupratopsecret06.
SH_ARD_1951-1200x800.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links