Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus - looking for many types of advice

Stewart W

Hi All, just joined this forum as I think I'm about to buy a 2009 GS300 as my post-pandemic toy. 

Background - I'm more-or-less retired after running a fleet consultancy for 40 years, so know quite a bit about the overall motor trade, have enjoyed many a launch event and had good access to manufacturer demos etc. Unfortunately, almost all of my pre-covid contacts are no longer in post (retired/ changed jobs/ reorganisations etc) so I'm just about on my own for this.

Most of my company cars were of the A6/ 5-series/ E-Class level, many diesel (and latterly hybrids/ BEVs). So my wishlist was for a bit of a barge with lots of toys, a fair bit of poke and comfortable. Now has to be petrol/ possible hybrid (I'm done with diesel and well aware of the ULEZ issues). Options for a car purchase included all these makes plus Lexus (GS over IS) and Volvo (S60 or S80). Running costs for a 4k - 6k annual mileage are not a major priority. My wife runs a 1.2, 66-plate Polo auto, which as served us well during lockdowns etc but I now want a car of my own!

I've seen and test-driven a 2009/ 09 GS with 78k miles. Drives well, everything seems to work. (Android) phone connected quickly and my wife reported a clear conversation on test. Car seems clean with a 2-owner history and decent MOT record - but servicing mostly done at non-Lexus sites (last owner was for about 6 years). I have to decide whether to buy this or keep looking. Because it's a bit of an indulgence, I've retricted my budget and searches to a max of £8k.That budget allows a fair selection within a 100-mile radius (SE Hampshire),  

I'd really appreciate any contributions of advice from forum members with relevant experience/ expertise. I have driven only a few Lexus models before, but have always had a bit of a soft spot for their brand qualities. However, the budget (for a Lexus) and the couple of examples I've tested, indicates that some of the toys I'm "demanding" are quite old-school. I would be keen to change the SatNav & radio etc kit for something more modern (and without the H&S notice to agree to use SatNav carefully every time!); and with DAB radio, and probably Android Auto. I'd want to retain all the steering-wheel controls, reversing camera function etc.

I also want the "3-flash" lane-change function which I use extensively (even on the Polo) and which I understand is a feature on later-model GS. Is there a way to achieve this either via ECU tweeking or a ready-made aftermarket do-hicky?

I'm very keen on good headlights. I think this era of GS usually has HID headlights - is this correct? Has anyone fitted LED daylight running lights?

Is there anything I should be looking for apart from a dealer warranty and a clean MOT?

Any help/ guidance/ advice/ tips gratefully received.

Stewart

Welcome to the forum.

GS4 has the 3 flash aka triple turn indicator my previous GS3 (07) did not, when I owned mine I would of loved a hack to add it as my previous car to it a 2004 530i had it.

Many thanks for your input & experience. I guess it's not something that can be switched on via ECU, but I wonder if anyone has found a work-around or commercial product to make it work?

I think I posted this message in the wrong sub-folder - this one seemed at the time the only one that offered a new post option. I have repeated the post on teh main GS forum.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links