Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stats on NX 450h+ Predicted EV Range

1 hour ago, RXtoNX said:

Last nights charge 48.3/44.9

One particular point which strikes me about this thread is an apparent discrepancy between the gap of without a/c and with a/c figures that individuals are seeing.
For example on my figures above the without a/c figure is 7.6% higher than with a/c, whereas Ken’s figures in his post immediately above it is 12.3% higher.

A further point of note is that last night when I plugged in the car it was showing an EV range left of 2 miles. After the charge the range with a/c is 44.9, as stated earlier, but the Hive app shows that the charge added 37miles to the range.
I am finding that the number of miles shown as being added from the charge, plus any remaining EV range shown on the dash, is a more accurate reflection of what the actual achievable range is likely to be.

In the first couple of months after picking up my car in September, the difference between with and without a/c was minimal. It was only after the weather got colder and I started to use the heating more did the gap widen. From this, I conclude that the app 'learns' the driver's preference for a hot/warm/cool interior and calculates the 'with a/c' range accordingly.

I don't use the Hive app, and I can imagine that it can accurately show how much electricity it has supplied, but how does it know what that kW equates to in range? I would have thought that it would depend on the efficiency of the charging system, which will vary between manufacturers and models. Does the Hive app know that you drive a NX? Also, I understand that when charging is initiated, the system in the NX doesn't immediately start putting juice into the Battery but it first pre-conditions the Battery to warm or cool it to a level suitable for charging. A car sitting on a driveway on a cold December night will need more pre-conditioning that a car sitting in a relatively warm garage.

The stats collected here have only been running for a month and collect only a fraction of the parameters that influence the system. It's not that we are comparing apples with oranges here but we are comparing Cox, Pippin, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smiths, etc as we all operate our vehicles in different ways. Hopefully, over time, we will see some trends emerging that will be useful and we can learn from each other how to perhaps subtly change what we do to increase the range of our own particular vehicles.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

I don't use the Hive app, and I can imagine that it can accurately show how much electricity it has supplied, but how does it know what that kW equates to in range? I would have thought that it would depend on the efficiency of the charging system, which will vary between manufacturers and models. Does the Hive app know that you drive a NX?

Malcolm, I’ve just realised that I should have known the answer to my own observation re the mileage added as shown in the Hive app from a particular charge.

No it doesn’t know the make/model of car, but one of the inputs (manual not auto from the car) is the average miles/kWh efficiency which the car shows.
Back in the summer mine was showing 3.2 miles/kWh whereas during the Winter this has been 2.7 miles/kWh, hence the 37miles range added is just the simple multiple of 2.7 times the charge accepted by the car of 13.8 kWh (the Battery still had a range of 2 miles left, when 0 the car usually accepts 14.4kWh)

• Like 2

Tonight's charge indicating 50/44.  Actual on an indicated 44.5 was a disappointing 33 earlier today but included approx 16 miles of motorway travel.

• Thanks 1

Latest charge this evening giving an indicated 50.3/44.3. Ran the car today with no air con and achieved 44 miles from the indicated 50 which considering the outside temperature and the fact that 20 miles were motorway isn't bad.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ken R said:

Latest charge this evening giving an indicated 50.3/44.3. Ran the car today with no air con and achieved 44 miles from the indicated 50 which considering the outside temperature and the fact that 20 miles were motorway isn't bad.

That is good - and encouraging. Were you using the heated seat and steering wheel?

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

That is good - and encouraging. Were you using the heated seat and steering wheel?

No. Tried to keep as many Battery draining devices off as part of the experiment.

• Like 1

Similar figures here Ken.

Last nights charge 48.1/44.6, but yesterday’s actual achieved from the previous charge, which showed 44.1 with a/c, was a disappointing 33. 
I should however point out that this is what the wife achieved, she was driving 🙄😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest figures here are 47.6 / 43.3 with an actual from previous charge of 36 with the wife driving again.

In fact she’ll be driving all the time now since I’ve had to surrender my licence again for 12 months for the 2nd time in 5 years because of a certain rare health issue which the DVLA & their medical panel don’t have the brains to try to understand. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weather warmer and she’s (the wife) getting better 😉, an actual of 43 achieved from previous charge and last nights charge figures showing 50.8 / 46.2.

Must be my coaching🙄😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tonight I've got 51/48.

Maybe its a degree warmer 200 miles South, Ken?

I doubt I'll achieve this though as I've got a couple of motorway dashes in my day tomorrow - I might switch to petrol for those bits and see how I go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

Tonight I've got 51/48.

Maybe its a degree warmer 200 miles South, Ken?

I doubt I'll achieve this though as I've got a couple of motorway dashes in my day tomorrow - I might switch to petrol for those bits and see how I go.

I've done 56 miles today - 15 on M62 when I forced the ICE to start, so real world 41 against 48 estimate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken R said:

Tonight's charge indicating 50.5/45.9. Yesterday's 46.3 gave an actual result of 37 miles including 20 miles of motorway travel.

Yes I understand that this topic is all about predicted EV range and interesting to compare ...but...unless I am missing something, aren't the actual average miles per kilowatt and mpg more important to ascertain the cars running economy.

My actual recorded milage on EV mode, again depending on conditions, driving speeds etc etc has been between 32 and max 40. I have yet to see any full Battery charge figures come anywhere over 43 as yet.

Picked up my 450 first week in Jan, so all trips up to now have been in cold conditions. The average m/kw has increase from 2.4 to 2.6 and average mpg has been showing a increase from 59 to now showing 64.

So...assuming that the mpg [so far] is accurate at say 60 ish and that I keep the Battery charged up each day [at say 2.5 m/kw] to both assist the ICE  [auto EV] in dual carriageway, and EV for town driving, then I am more than happy with that bearing in mind the size and comfort of the vehicle, and think I would would struggle to find a similar spec car that would match those figures.

OR am I missing something ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobeam said:

Yes I understand that this topic is all about predicted EV range and interesting to compare ...but...unless I am missing something, aren't the actual average miles per kilowatt and mpg more important to ascertain the cars running economy.

My actual recorded milage on EV mode, again depending on conditions, driving speeds etc etc has been between 32 and max 40. I have yet to see any full battery charge figures come anywhere over 43 as yet.

Picked up my 450 first week in Jan, so all trips up to now have been in cold conditions. The average m/kw has increase from 2.4 to 2.6 and average mpg has been showing a increase from 59 to now showing 64.

So...assuming that the mpg [so far] is accurate at say 60 ish and that I keep the battery charged up each day [at say 2.5 m/kw] to both assist the ICE  [auto EV] in dual carriageway, and EV for town driving, then I am more than happy with that bearing in mind the size and comfort of the vehicle, and think I would would struggle to find a similar spec car that would match those figures.

OR am I missing something ???

I was primarily interested in predicted Battery range and how it changed with the weather when I started this thread David. Many BEVs claim fantastic ranges that are way off in real world conditions, especially when the temperatures are very low. That the 450h+ achieves a shorter range in winter is unsurprising but I am pleased that the drop is far less than for owners of different makes of car. Many people were reporting ranges on EV of over 50 miles in the summer, better than Lexus advertise.

For myself, I am extremely happy with my car but I cannot be sure of my exact mpg, range, or m/kw for the following reasons:

a. I rarely run from a fully charged Battery to a fully empty one.

b. I do not know exactly how many kw of electricity I have put into the car in any one charge; I can only estimate it.

c. The remaining range (according to the instrument panel) half a mile from my house can differ by up to 3 miles when I eventually park up (according to the app).

d. My 'actual' mpg since new is 87.5mpg when I last filled up in January but that was a meaningless division of miles covered divided by litres of fuel put in the tank because so many miles had been covered using the Battery alone.

e. In my experience, Auto EV will run the Battery down before the ICE cuts in.

f. Examination of the 'Last Trip' map on the App, has often showed the ICE coming on line in cold weather despite EV being selected.

g. Conversely, selecting HV mode, doesn't preclude the car moving into EV mode under some conditions.

Every owner will have different charging regimes, have a different mix of motorway, A and B road driving, etc. On top of which, the system is very sophisticated and the mode it operates in is not 100% the driver's choice, more his or her preference. I have found that, for my operating style, working out the exact cost of running my car is nigh on impossible but I am not bothered because I think the car does a great job to give me the best combination for the conditions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

I was primarily interested in predicted battery range and how it changed with the weather when I started this thread David. Many BEVs claim fantastic ranges that are way off in real world conditions, especially when the temperatures are very low. That the 450h+ achieves a shorter range in winter is unsurprising but I am pleased that the drop is far less than for owners of different makes of car. Many people were reporting ranges on EV of over 50 miles in the summer, better than Lexus advertise.

For myself, I am extremely happy with my car but I cannot be sure of my exact mpg, range, or m/kw for the following reasons:

a. I rarely run from a fully charged battery to a fully empty one.

b. I do not know exactly how many kw of electricity I have put into the car in any one charge; I can only estimate it.

c. The remaining range (according to the instrument panel) half a mile from my house can differ by up to 3 miles when I eventually park up (according to the app).

d. My 'actual' mpg since new is 87.5mpg when I last filled up in January but that was a meaningless division of miles covered divided by litres of fuel put in the tank because so many miles had been covered using the battery alone.

e. In my experience, Auto EV will run the battery down before the ICE cuts in.

f. Examination of the 'Last Trip' map on the App, has often showed the ICE coming on line in cold weather despite EV being selected.

g. Conversely, selecting HV mode, doesn't preclude the car moving into EV mode under some conditions.

Every owner will have different charging regimes, have a different mix of motorway, A and B road driving, etc. On top of which, the system is very sophisticated and the mode it operates in is not 100% the driver's choice, more his or her preference. I have found that, for my operating style, working out the exact cost of running my car is nigh on impossible but I am not bothered because I think the car does a great job to give me the best combination for the conditions.

I agree Malcolm

Although I have participated a couple of times with figures, I have a dumb charger so it doesn't report on actual Kwh taken on in a charge, so I have to make an educated guess.

Looking back I got my car 1/3/2022 and filled up with petrol on that day, I didn't need to put petrol in again until mid August due to many of my trips being local. Couple this with a free (£30 admin cost) parking pass for Leeds City Centre (cheapest all day parking at least £8) then I feel like I've been getting a good deal. To be fair, I've had to put petrol in more regularly (every couple of months) during the winter as my car usage has changed, but still, I'm pleased with how it works for me.

I am gutted though that the parking permit runs out tomorrow and due to 'budget constraints' Leeds Council won't be renewing them!! 

Ours is going in the opposite direction, last nights charge 48.2/45.8

Previous actual had dropped back to around 36 miles due to dual carriageways & other driving conditions though which probably accounts for the lower range showing after the charge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SUMMARY FOR FEBRUARY AND MARCH 2023

The number of contributors to this thread dropped off during March but the stats show that range is increasing as the weather warms but perhaps not as much as I expected overall. For February, the two figures were 46.2 and 41.8. For March, the two figures were 46.8 and 42.6. For Feb and Mar combined, the two figures were 46.4 and 42.2

The average range (without A/C) improvement by the top 3 contributors between their best and worst predicted figures is a 6.2% improvement. Our top contributor (thanks Ken) has seen a 6.3% improvement from the beginning of Feb to the end of March (without A/C) and a 13.2% improvement with A/C.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links