Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Replacing pie plate cover with alternative

4 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

Anybody know what size the pie dish bolts are? Looking on Ebay they seem quite expensive at around £3.00 + each times 40 that could work out quite expensive!!!!!

😳, hopefully can find them at a more sensible price! I’ll do a little research and see what I can give up with but meanwhile  if anyone is aware of better options to source them then it would be good to know and share. 👍

I have just measured one of mine they are common m8hex socket screws 24 mm full length, thread length 15mm so you could order shorter ones also dome head ones are available 😉 stew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Localhero said:

If you Google socket head screws a company will come up called Westfield fasteners, bright and shiny £59-60 per 100, or toolstation, screwfix etc  sorry tied to send you a link but didn't work 

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ScrewBolt_M.html

Just added the link and worth considering the domed option for a smoother look and finish!

I’ll definitely look at that as a fallback option, but still seems a bit pricey since I only need 40, so will try and see if I can source 40 at a lower price - but thanks for supplying another option. 👍

I have just measured one of mine they are common m8hex socket screws 24 mm full length, thread length 15mm so you could order shorter ones also dome head ones are available 😉 stew check out this link https://www.amazon.co.uk/20mm-Allen-Socket-Head-Screws/dp/B08GYKLQ65/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=111743003742&hvadid=484391780155&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007423&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2424113950368046232&hvtargid=kwd-569005415277&hydadcr=26246_1767768&keywords=m8+x+20+cap+head&qid=1679770017&sr=8-5      and then double check size

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Localhero said:

I have just measured one of mine they are common m8hex socket screws 24 mm full length, thread length 15mm so you could order shorter ones also dome head ones are available 😉 stew check out this link https://www.amazon.co.uk/20mm-Allen-Socket-Head-Screws/dp/B08GYKLQ65/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=111743003742&hvadid=484391780155&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=1007423&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2424113950368046232&hvtargid=kwd-569005415277&hydadcr=26246_1767768&keywords=m8+x+20+cap+head&qid=1679770017&sr=8-5      and then double check size

That’s more like it. I think the domed ones would definitely give a better look. It would also be good to get them with the shortened length that I need rather than have to do each one myself since I don’t have a Dremmel and a hacksaw would be tedious. 

I just did a quick search based on my understanding of what would work but am not the best with stuff like this so would this work please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12mm-Socket-Button-Head-Screws/dp/B09NL8CZLZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=36I9YNY9IUWJ3&keywords=m8+domed+short+bolt&qid=1679771409&sprefix=m8+domed+short+bolt%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Or perhaps this since it’s even shorter :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/12mm-Socket-Button-Head-Screws/dp/B09NJP928R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=36I9YNY9IUWJ3&keywords=m8%2Bdomed%2Bshort%2Bbolt&qid=1679771409&sprefix=m8%2Bdomed%2Bshort%2Bbolt%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

I don't know but if you were to buy any or have any m8 bolts of any kind  or even buy one from a local car accessory shop for about 50p you could try it then order 40 of them from the website, try sticking a cocktail stick in the hole till it bottoms out then mark with a pencil that should give you the correct length

Stew

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Localhero said:

I don't know but if you were to buy any or have any m8 bolts of any kind  or even buy one from a local car accessory shop for about 50p you could try it then order 40 of them from the website, try sticking a cocktail stick in the hole till it bottoms out then mark with a pencil that should give you the correct length

Stew

Thanks Stew, yes, I’ll give it try and then should be able to order the ones on amazon with more confidence although it’s straightforward enough with amazon to do a no quibble return of course. I just don’t want to be unfair to the seller as the margins are probably quite small. 

I’ve just finished putting the existing bolts back on to see what they’d look like and have put the new centre cap on which makes all the difference so I’m very happy with them. I’ve added a quick photo although a bit grubby as there’s some WD40 showing on a few of the holes - but obviously the final product will look much better. 777404AE-4CB1-491B-B522-BB6291C416D1.thumb.jpeg.aa687011784cecbcee670ef907288895.jpeg

Update!

I ordered the following from amazon and delivered today and fitted one to be sure and it's perfect IMO, some might prefer slightly longer but no need really. Photo of that also shown but it was raining and din't see the point in fitting them just yet as they will only be fitted once the wheels are refurbed. Just a point to note is that I found it difficult to fit my old bolts onto the new wheel that I just bought and think it was because there was either detritus or paint overspray which clogged the threads and made it a sod to do. No problem on my existing wheels as they were perfectly fine. So I shall use the "proud" fitting of the old bolts by masking them and preventing any overspray going into the thread. All that to be done over the new few weeks starting Easter most likely once the weather turns 🙏 

M8 bolts.jpg

P.S. Before anyone mentions it, I know the brake callipers and locking wheel nut look dreadful 😱 but I have already bought some paint to do those too 😁

On 3/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, Nexus7 said:

Continuing my online research I came across the following ( apologies for the rather dark photo which is the only one I’ve come across so far) of what in my opinion Lexus ought to perhaps have fitted as a standard replacement hub ( although definitely not in the chrome finish pictured - for me personally).44B0E964-76F4-4BC3-91C1-218A3BF6ADCA.thumb.jpeg.80f885834e644b39d9e0f0b7a2e865ec.jpeg

I haven’t yet been able to identify a source for these yet so will have to continue my quest - unless anyone can supply me further information about these please?

Meanwhile, I shall be removing the pie plates within the next week which should help me to determine where to go from there hopefully. 

That looks like a dinner plate trim that has been cut up around the slots….that’s a cheap option for sure.

• Like 1

Hi Stew, ….ahhh I see the wheel in the picture is a cut down pie plate hence the polished metal look but I wouldn’t even consider trying to cut them into that shape.  

So I’m not putting the pie plates back on normally or using that option. I might even sell them as I really don’t like them personally. 

Out of interest, they’re in very good condition actually, so they wouldn’t need any work doing on them if I had been putting them back on - surprisingly they’re made of ABS plastic - I discovered that Lexus only use plastic on all of their centre covers including the twist ones that you have. Albeit they are good quality plastic 😁 and you have to look twice due to the finish really looking like metal. 

If I ever ultimately decide that I’m not happy with the “ bare” look without them, I would rather buy the twist style ones that you bought. Nothing really lost since I need to refurb the wheels anyway.

Regards,

Anthony

23 hours ago, Dr Philip said:

Of course, you could go really swish and add these. On eBay  item no 283456057540 - other suppliers available.

Good luck Philip

Picture 1 of 45

Thanks Philip, that’s an intriguing option, just not sure if it would put too much emphasis on the bolts and detract from the overall look of the wheel design 🤔. Colour wise it would have to be silver of course as any of the others would make it look like a tarts boudoir 😳 ( or so I’m told😁). 

P.S. I’m re typing the item number - 283456057540 - for anyone else who’s interested in these because I had difficulty copying it from your post. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, Nexus7 said:

Thanks Philip, that’s an intriguing option, just not sure if it would put too much emphasis on the bolts and detract from the overall look of the wheel design 🤔. Colour wise it would have to be silver of course as any of the others would make it look like a tarts boudoir 😳 ( or so I’m told😁). 

P.S. I’m re typing the item number - 283456057540 - for anyone else who’s interested in these because I had difficulty copying it from your post. 

………doh, just noticed after another look that it’s designed for countersunk nuts and of course I’ve already bought the domed type which are flat. Nonetheless, others might prefer to use these when buying countersunk ones of course. As I said though they would be larger and therefore more prominent providing a different look. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve finally started refurbing the wheels and here is a photo of the two that I’ve done so far, but not yet completed spraying and fitting all of the logoed centre caps to match the black centre hub ( I’ve just pictured the first one which I painted to match and to see how it looked - and I’m very happy with it personally!) so not the final product just yet but hope to complete over the next week.

NB I’ve fitted brand new black wheel nuts and also painted the domed nuts black which I think sets it all off nicely 👍

PS I’ve already fitted the 30 & 20mm wheel spacers which definitely enhances the look and feel of the car. And just to add from my other post that I’ve sprayed the grille providing a much improved look imo and certainly accentuates the headlights which are already such a nice design feature of course  IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.7b918c615a516a00a96da1c7e929af75.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Just finally, I had to fit oversized gloss black stickers on the centre hubs because the wheel spacers prevented the usual type of logo hub caps from being fitted (this can be seen in the photo immediately above).

Here is the finished product using the stickers and whilst I don't have logos on the wheels now, I am perfectly happy and content with all black centres - so essentially the job is now complete, and on to the next project.....😁

474F3557-E3ED-4DD1-ABBF-3759080D2FCE.jpeg

AE9ACD9C-E536-4262-9C6B-38F52C8FF71F.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links