Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS300 MK1 1996 Start Up Issues - Sensor?

Hi All

I have a Lexus GS300 MK1 1996 (S140) that i have had for 5 months. Recently starting getting problems with starting up the car, the car cranks but doesn't start up, then randomly sometimes it will start up. When i turn the engine off and try starting back up, it starts up then cuts out within a few seconds.

I can't find any mechanics/garages who have a diagnostic machine to run due to the OBD port being so old (its a circle 16pin one).

Been told it 'might' be a Camshaft sensor

any advice is appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve.

I took it to a garage and they did the flashing light diagnostic. It has the early OBD port. 

It came up with fault with the Lambda sensor pre cat.

I've had this replaced today so fingers crossed it sorts the problem out.

So had lambda/o2 sensor replaced but problem is still there! 

This is exactly what happens:

Starts up fine when I start car first time for first use.

After driving a while, turn engine off and come back to the car after a short while then starts up and cuts out straight away, start again and doesn't crank just keeps ticking. Take the key out put back in and starts and cuts out.

10 15min later starts normal 

Driving me nuts!

• 2 months later...

Did you resolve this?

does the alarm light stay off the whole time, or does it come on at all while you have the problem? I.e. immobiliser issue, or bad connection on the pickup ring around the ignition barrel.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links