Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AndyN01

Hi all.

New member who doesn't have a Lexus - yet 😉.

Having done my boy racer phase several decades ago and been through several "mundane" family motors I'm now looking for reliability and comfort and something I can get in and out of 😂. Having a dog I'm looking for an RX although my heart would love an LS.

I've been lurking for a while, reading about inverters and rear discs and general "big" service items like cam belts/water pumps (although there's nothing particularly unusual about those these days).

Budget is looking like a late RX400h or early RX450h - I'd much rather have a car with high mileage, properly looked after by someone who knows it intimately than a "low" mileage one from someone who has no idea that the spark plugs should have been changed 20K ago and has put cheapo "ditch finder" tyres on her. Hence coming along here for guidance/advice and knowledge.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Andy.

7 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

New member who doesn't have a Lexus - yet

That’s no problem, Andy.  It’s how most of us started!  In fact, there are posters who don’t have a Lexus now and that doesn’t stop them making valuable contributions!

13 minutes ago, AndyN01 said:

I’d much rather have a car with high mileage, properly looked after by someone who knows it intimately than a "low" mileage one from someone who has no idea that the spark plugs should have been changed 20K ago and has put cheapo "ditch finder" tyres on her.

That’s certainly the received wisdom, thanks to the longevity of Lexus engines and generally robust engineering.  But personally I’d place more importance on regular Dealer servicing ie annually instead of just mileage based.

Good luck with your search and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of helpful advice from RX owners.

• Like 1

I was in a similar position almost 2 years ago, and actually stretched my budget a little to go for the 450h over the 400h. In part because I came across a one owner car with full dealer service history, that looked and drove like new, and in part because I preferred the newer model.

I didn't want a sunroof or roof rails, as I didn't need them and they're a potential source of faults or leaks; and they were more common on the 400 over the 450. In general there seemed to be fewer leak issues with the 450 as well. A small thing, but I also really like the additional cupholder on the right of the steering wheel, and use it a lot. The other factor is that with the 450h being a little newer, you'll still be able to get an extended warranty on cars over 10yrs old but under 15yrs and 150k miles, if you like that kind of peace of mind. Ultiimately though, have a good look at both and, if you find you have no preference, then buy on the condition of the car.

Things to check:

MOT history, make sure everything is fixed promptly and that there are no recurring problems.
Look over service receipts to see that services were done on time, and scheduled items attended to.
It obvously helps if the tyres are good ones, but it's not ususual for an owner or dealer to stick on a cheap one if one fails just before selling.
If buying from a dealer, ask for the money off instead of them doing the usual pre sale service. Apart from the fact that it usually means just an oil & filter change, with possibly cheap oil, it means you get a back street garage stamp amongst all those main dealer ones. Much better to get one done yourself, at your dealer of choice, if one's due.

Engines, transmission, and hybrid stuff are usually pretty reliable unless any faults have been flagged up, but budget for a transmission oil drain and refill (a couple of hundred pounds) if one hasn't been done recently.

Other than that, check for any signs of corrosion beyond surface rust, personally I avoid cars that have lived in coastal regions, or too far north. Check bottom of doors, sills and wheel arches. Take a torch and have a good look underneath, the RX is high enough to do this easily enough.

Feel the carpets under the mats for damp, and lift out boot mat and look in all compartments for any signs of water ingress or corrosion.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck in your search!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links