Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Front Shock Absorbers - torque Method

Tom777

Hi Lexus guys,

I changed front shocks on my Lexus is250 2007. Please see 3 pictures with bolts and nuts in question. How should I torque these bolts and nuts. Keeping it on the jack stands or lowered to ground on all 4 wheels - car supporting its own weight ? I know the torque numbers but not if the torque specs should be applied while vehicle is on all 4 wheels. 
It’s 6 bolts and nuts in total I’m asking about. Any recommendations. 
thanks

Tom

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

IMG_4944.jpeg

My understanding is that suspensions components, especially those with rubber in them, should be torqued with the car on the ground supporting its own weight.

Strangely, the repair manual says to settle the suspension and then raise the car up again before tightening the lower shock absorber bolt:

image.thumb.png.3b6c08c67aaf98b5a68535cc452333b7.png

I suppose if you don't have a lift then it might be easier doing it this way.

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

My understanding is that suspensions components, especially those with rubber in them, should be torqued with the car on the ground supporting its own weight.

Strangely, the repair manual says to settle the suspension and then raise the car up again before tightening the lower shock absorber bolt:

image.thumb.png.3b6c08c67aaf98b5a68535cc452333b7.png

I suppose if you don't have a lift then it might be easier doing it this way.

Wow! Following a manual does add extra work. But I like to do things by the book. Thanks for sharing manual info on this. 
I will keep bolt relatively loose, set on wheels, bump it up and down, raise on jacks again, lift lower arm with jack and then torque to specs. 
thanks….

• Like 1

Hi Tom. About a year or so ago I changed the gaitors on the front shockers. It needed removal of the shock absorber. I did it with the car off the ground. No issues with tracking etc etc after the job was done. 

Sorry only issue was the bolt in your 2nd photo was an utter mare to undo. Ended up taking my car to a local garage for them to undo for me with a blow torch.

9 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Tom. About a year or so ago I changed the gaitors on the front shockers. It needed removal of the shock absorber. I did it with the car off the ground. No issues with tracking etc etc after the job was done. 

Sorry only issue was the bolt in your 2nd photo was an utter mare to undo. Ended up taking my car to a local garage for them to undo for me with a blow torch.

Hi Mr Vlad,

I think the correct torque method is in place to tighten up the suspension at the correct angle to not overstretch the bushings and rubber in the “system” which can lead to premature “failure” of these linkage parts. At least that’s what I read in other places. The biggest pain for me was to undo bolt in first picture. I’m surprised yours was so tight as it should only be torqued at 87 N*m while the one in second picture is torqued at 157 N*m. But I am wondering if the only reason the manual says it should be raised with wheels off, is to actually being able to reach that lower shock bolt as it seems impossible with the wheels on and sitting on ground. The upper bolt can be torqued while sitting on ground as it is accessible above the wheel.  
Below the diagram with torque specs for IS250 in case anyone needs these reading this post.

IMG_4948.jpeg

Hi Tom. Bit of a whoopsy by me lol. The nut which was a mere to undo was the bottom nut as in photo 1.

What I did was in August 2021 and I posted how to replace the gaitors which were perished. 

I understand what you say about the possibility of damaging bushings but there's no chance really. The bushings in the top and bottom arms keep those arms in place when the shock absorbers are removed. They stayed in place when I did my job. In fact I had to use a bit of force to get the shockers back on the car. 

Like I've said. No issues in the over 18 months. I take my car to Lexus for its services and they go over my car with a fine tooth comb so to speak. They like to find faults.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links