Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Second attempt Apple Car Play and Android Auto for pre-2021

K22MDL

Didn't like my bolt on bracket for the last install so ditched it and purchased a wider display fitting it in front of the CD player. Works well and auto connects when I get in the car with my phone. 

Not the best view but leave on voice for Waze or Maps & and it's good enough. Plus the Voice activated Google search for Waze, phone, Whatsapp etc etc is a far safer way of doing things - and it actually works!

Of course, if Japan pulled their finger out and upgraded the firmware of the earlier cars we wouldn't have to mess about with more screens. 

20230519_224952.jpg

20230519_225013.jpg

• Like 2

The unit is readily available on amazon BUY HERE  and don't forget to order the two right hand outlet cables for audio and USB Power BUY HERE  & BUY HERE  

If you are in the USA then the same item is available HERE, you get it a lot cheaper than us & have a front and rear camera thrown in to the bundle that you don't need. Leave them in the box. 

Mounting without ruining the internal leather work was a bit thought provoking but Velcro did the trick.  BUY HERE  Just run it along the top edge of the display, cutting around the power button that is on the top. If you don't, everytime you go over a bump the screen will probably turn off.  Run the Velcro along the bottom of the display too. Get the angle right and it'll stick fine, almost gently jammed in. Run the two cables to the right-hand side and neatly tape them together to feed into the armrest where the audio is and USB sockets are. 

It comes supplied with a DC Cigar plug. I didn't use it as it's not right angle at the screen-end & therefore sticks out. Leave it in the box and don't bother. Use the USB-C to USB lead above to power the device. 

Yes to Wireless apple Car Play and Wireless Android Auto.  Better still, it auto-starts when you turn on the ignition. Some screens (I got through a few) require you to press a screen icon to start the process - this one you don't. 

The location for view isn't the best obvioulsy and is a compromise. However, the screen is big enough (10") to see all you want to see and with the latest verion of Android Auto (I'm a Samsung user) you can swap what you want to see in which place on the screen.  

Downsides?

It has an annoying start up bing-bong tune when it first powers up.  You can't turn it off but its only a second or so. 

To play your apple Music/Spotify/Maps audio you have to select the input of the LC500 audio to AUX - this is easy - it's on the media screen. Just leave it there as apple Car Play/Android Auto will handle all your calls.  if you don't, then the audio gets passed through the devices internal speakers. Pretty stupid idea not using the cars audio system espesially for music!!

Wouldn't need any of this if Lexus gave us the upgrade they are able to do to our infotainment system but for some odd reason don't offer it to the EU or UK.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great information. The lack of Carplay in lexus cars pre about 2019 is an issue. I have a phase4 GS

I was wondering if you could help with a few questions, the information online is not comprehensive and some similar units also have a wired carplay connection.

You seem to have looked at many different screens and come up with your optimum choice. Would it be possible to comment on the others.

How much does the unit weigh please? it may be possible to fix it over the clock/vents on my car, using a couple of brodit dash fixations.

I asked amazon and was told the unit weighed the same as an Iphone? I imagine it weighs a bit more?

On a telephone call, is there a microphone on the unit, or is the car microphone (or telephone) unit used? is the outgoing sound on a call OK? during the call, does the sound come from the car speakers, if it is transmitted via the unit to the car via aux/fm and so, maybe degraded?

Is there any Bluetooth connection between the unit and the car?

Is there any temporary/ permenant Bluetooth connection between the unit and the car?

Thank you for your help with this. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links