Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone ever replaced an 02 sensor themselves

NEILJ

Afternoon All

Have had my SC430 throw up a p0051 code H02S heater control circuit low bank 2 sensor one which I believe points to the common problem of an 02 sensor going bad.  I cleared the code last year and it ran for months before I put the car away for winter.  Have been running the car a couple of months now and this weekend the code popped up again.  So wanted to ask if anyone has replaced the 02 sensor themselves.  I am watching the odd youtube video and they are saying they have to take out the seats and cut the carpet, surely not.  I cannot believe Lexus would come up with a design like that .  I suspect you have to pull out a grommet perhaps and pull the wire and connector through the hole to unplug but take the seats out and cut the carpets that's just nuts.  I hope there is someone on the forum that has done this job for themselves and could give some guidance.

As usual any advice will be much appreciated.

NeilJ    

• Like 1

I would expect the SC to be similar to the GS430 series II, with the rear sensor connectors under the carpets in the footwells. You can move the seats back which gives enough room. However if the SC is more like the RX300 then, yes the seat has to come out and whether you choose to cut the carpet or remove lots of trim to fold the carpet back is a decision to make - people cut the carpet for speed and unnoticeable under the seat.

image.thumb.png.2e854d5991da926de8f37753c48097c0.png

• Like 1

Okay working from the information you’ve given above Neil, The P0051 Lexus code is oxygen sensor heater control circuit low..bank 2 sensor 1.

That sensor is in the manifold on the drivers side …NOT lower down under the floor .

IMG_5237.jpeg

I’ve down both front manifold sensors on a previous SC430….first off get the dedicated manifold o2 sockets from ScrewFix .

Passanger sensor is easy ..very accessible.

Now drivers side sensor is a **** to do !

getting sensor off is a little more tricky with steering column shaft in the way but the wiring harness plug is almost impossible to get out without hands like an monkey !

It’s tight to the engine block and is better done on a workshop ramp…i done mine laying on my back on the drive .

• Like 2

Colin and Bob

Thank you both for your advice and replying so quickly.

I like to do my research thoroughly before attempting a job and this is no exception.  So the youtube videos are correct and the connector is under the footwell carpet which I do find a bit crazy but if that is what it is then I just have to get on with it .  The car does about a 1000 miles per year now just summer use so I want to keep the costs down as garage rates are so expensive now and being semi retired I have the time.  I have cleared the codes again and the last time I did this last year it didn't come back until now so I will give it some more time before proceeding.  Could I further ask Colin or Bob did you buy the oem Lexus part at £221 or did you buy a generic.  I have read that the Lexus oem is actually a Denso which is much much cheaper but you might have to solder and heat shrink the wires with the existing plug so if you could further advise thank you.

As ever the forum is so useful and the people so knowledgeable .  I must update on my RX water leak on the other forum to give some feedback to others as Colin and bob have helped with my problem.

Thanks

NeilJ  

• Like 1

Please re-read my post above ..code P0051 is front manifold not rear floor area sensors .

As to sensors..only buy DENSO and with plug connected fitted .

DENSO is the factory brand used by Toyota/Lexus.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob 

Have re read your reply and the sensor bank 2 sensor one is pre cat so the connector is accessible although the sensor is a .....to get to above rack.  The videos I have watched were not clear about which sensor they were changing and must have been talking about the post cat sensors.  Whilst the weather is good I might have a crawl under the car to locate the sensor.  The illustration is always very helpful,  I should know as I used to draw them up myself for other companies.  Oh and so the Denso one it is then Bob I have looked them up and they are a good price compared to the £221 Lexus quote.

Thanks again

Neilj   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NEILJ said:

Could I further ask Colin or Bob did you buy the oem Lexus part at £221 or did you buy a generic.  I have read that the Lexus oem is actually a Denso which is much much cheaper but you might have to solder and heat shrink the wires with the existing plug so if you could further advise thank you.

I normally purchase Denso aftermarket/OEM sensors rather than a Lexus boxed one. Depending on the vehicle they have either direct replacements with the correct lead length and connector or generic ones. The benefit to a generic one where you have to cut the wiring and solder means you can do it under the car and therefore don't need to remove carpets - you just need to make sure you make everything watertight.

Anyway, as stated by Bob, if you have a problem with bank x sensor 1 then it is pre-cat and in the engine bay on the manifold/downpipe so no need for seats and carpets to be removed.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin and Bob

That is everything I need to know for now so will let you know how I have got on at a later date.  I will get the sockets from our local screwfix, well worth it.  So I am out in the SC tomorrow and if the code shows up again I will bite the bullet and get on with it whilst the weather is so nice .

Keep you posted

NeilJ

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Morning All

Sorry I have only just got around to update , have had plenty to do with this nice weather.

So I got a Denso Sensor from Autodoc   DOX-0238 DENSO Direct Fit Lambda Sensor Right, for pre-catalytic converter, M18x1.5, Regulating Probe, Heated, Finger probe, Lambda Sensor ▷ AUTODOC price and review  Cost in total £77.63

I booked into my local garage I have used for the past twenty years , they have always been very good .  I removed the under trays and Matt fitted the sensor in less than a half an hour on the lift and charged me £35 which I thought was brilliant .  I cleared the code with my scanner and it has been running fine again since . So all in £113.  Cleaned up all the undertray and fixings and gave them a coat of gloss black and put it all back together but had four fixings over so will have to look where I have missed when it is up on the ramp again for MOT this next week.  Thanks oldjoe 90 , you must be about my age remembering Joe 90,  I will have a look at Opie Oils website .  I did see an offer on GSF car parts which was cheaper than Autodoc but no stock , funny how they have marvelous offers on things you can't buy aye.  Anyway all well again for now.  Have a couple of things to look into on the RX now always something to fix.

Neilj 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links