Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav update?

MCR

I have a IS250C, 2010 which I have just bought, whose satnav is 2009/10 and I want to update it.  I know, get a Garmin, use your phone, it’s a lot more efficient, etc etc.  However I still like built in satnav.  I looked through the LOC posts and presumed that mine had the DVD system so got the latest DVD (2018), took off the front panel and there was a DVD slot but I couldn’t see a way of getting the old one out. So I then started delving and find that maybe I don't have the DVD system as it does not come upon the ‘Map Data’.  What does come up is ‘Data: 2009 - 2010 Ver. 1’  and ‘Gracenote (CDDB): ver. 01727’.

Can anyone explain what I can do to update it?  I don’t particularly want to take it to a dealer.

I attach two photos, one off the screen and one of the ‘slot’ behind the panel.

Thanks for your help.

E3775727-F6F4-4DCD-9C29-C9CA7A47F4D6.jpeg

E9C3B7C6-6780-4039-B101-CCF639DACE7A.jpeg

On mine I press the physical "Menu" button on the left hand side

Then on the screen press "Map DVD" (at the top right of the screen)

Then press DVD with eject symbol at the bottom left of the screen.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Neil.  Unfortunately mine doesn’t have a ‘Menu’ button on the left (or right!).  Here’s a photo of the left and right of the screen plus the screen itself.  It could well be that the convertible has a different system to the saloon for some reason (not uncommon - the saloon has a space saver tyre and the convertible foam and a pump, and you can’t fit a spare into the moulded tray under the boot carpet - and, guess what, the moulded tray from the saloon for the wheel won’t fit the convertible!  I have managed to get a spare wheel by finding a used moulded tray for the convertible and attacking it with a Stanley knife to allow a space saver to fit under the carpet- now at least I can throw away the foam!  Anyway, I digress…..).

I bought the DVD from the Satnavshop, who are usually pretty reliable (I updated my NX with them) and they list it as being compatible with the convertible.  The answer is out there somewhere……

0CA7DCAD-6039-4871-AB30-852F4280A392.jpeg

80016DCD-D1B0-4E5C-90EF-3B457F4F7D0D.jpeg

787D0FBB-921D-4F42-AA36-1F75456F2679.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Malcolm,

Your car has the 08HDD Nav system (Gen 6) and there is no "easy" way to update it.

Updates are generally regarded as "Dealer Only" but I have recently noticed that some aftermarket suppliers are now offering an updated hardrive unit with 2019/2020 maps for £70.

This, of course, has then to be fitted to your Sat Nav unit which opens up a whole new can of worms!!

• Like 1

Hi Declan.  Thanks for that.  Can you give me any links to the people offering the updates so that I can do a bit if research on them?

I’ve found a number of hard drives which would give me updated maps to early 2020s for around £70 which seems, to me, to be worth it.  However fitting seems to be complicated.  Has anyone done this before?

Hi Malcolm,

The link you referenced above is the one I had come across.

However, before you commit to anything, I very strongly advise that you speak with your local Lexus dealer parts dept. to confirm the type and generation of the sat nav fitted to your car.

The information I gave is purely from memory and would need to be checked as your car may have a later system fitted. My car is from the first month of production and I know there were several updates to various systems early in the model's life.

In the end I did'nt bother with the update and simply use a Tom-Tom, with up to the minute maps, any time I need guidence. The original 2008/2009 mapping actually works quite well most of the time.

Enjoy the car.

Dec.

Hi Declan.  I think you are spot on with the satnav specification as per:

https://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index

However I take your point about checking with the dealer.  Ironically it went for a service last Friday and I didn’t ask as I thought it had the DVD system and I already had the DVD.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links