Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Max continuous output for a cigarette lighter?

I Want to charge my phone and a laptop simultaneously.

Laptop is 65 watts + smartphone is 120 watts
Not sure how many watts max continuous output  for rx400h 2008  is ...

That seems high for the smartphone, most are around 5-30 watts.

In any event, typically the cigarette lighter is fused at around 10 amps, giving you 120 watts at 12v, so double check the fuse to give you an exact figure.

On 7/6/2023 at 11:39 AM, Bluemarlin said:

That seems high for the smartphone, most are around 5-30 watts.

In any event, typically the cigarette lighter is fused at around 10 amps, giving you 120 watts at 12v, so double check the fuse to give you an exact figure.

Xiaomi 12T 120 watts

I bet i ll blow the fuse, scared to try

14 minutes ago, Nooblexus said:

Xiaomi 12T 120 watts

I bet i ll blow the fuse, scared to try

I may be wrong, but I believe the 120 watts charging comes from a supplied 120 watt charger. If you use a 20 watt cigarette lighter charger then that's all it will get charged at in the car.

33 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I thought USB cigarette chargers had a max output of 24watts, so would mean a 120watt requirement would take 5 times longer to get the Xiaomi fully charged.

It would, but you have the choice of either not charging at all because it will consume too much power, or lowering the charge power.

The phone doesn't have a 120 W requirement, just that it has a boost charging function that provides rapid charging up to 120 W.

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I thought USB cigarette chargers had a max output of 24watts, so would mean a 120watt requirement would take 5 times longer to get the Xiaomi fully charged.

Which just means it will take as long as any other phone to charge.

The 120 watt abiility is just a boost function, which allows the phone to be fully charged in about 20 minutes with it's 120 watt charger, off a suitable mains supply.

In any event, a standard usb charger/power supply will be safe to use with the OP's phone, just slower than his 120w mains charger.

So to be safe i just buy a 120watt car charger and not 160 watt one...

160w charger can deliver

Laptop and xiaomi will suck together at 160watt speeds

And fuse will blow up

Right?

I select car charger Equal or less than 120watt car could give 

Your laptop and phone charger have no knowledge of what power the mains supply they are plugged into can supply. They will try and pull the full power they need (up to 185 W - it doesn't matter what size mains inverter you purchase) - this will either trip out the mains inverter or damage it if it is rated at less than 185 W, or blow the fuse on the vehicle's power outlet socket.

If you purchased a 160 W mains inverter and you tried to extract 160 W from it's output then the fuse would probably be ok. 160 W output equates to 180 W input (if it's a good one with 90% efficiency), which is 12.5 A if you are in Ready mode and the input voltage is 14.4 V. 

To make this simple, just don't use your 120 W phone charger, use a standard 20 W one in the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links