Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There's a hole in my bonnet

KeithMano

I have been told "there are no stupid questions", but in case that's wrong, apologies in advance.

Leaving the carpark of my block of flats in the SC430 yesterday (for only the second time), there was an almighty bang as I drove through the gates. Only then did I notice, the giant and sturdy (maybe 3 inches high) piece of metal affixed to the ground at the point where the two gates meet. Obviously something underneath the car had caught on it. But the car continued and I drove along. 

But later I started to worry. The car drove completely fine, but when I now look underneath the bonnet, I see this hole. Is it meant to be there? Has it always been there? Or did I shear something off? There are no leaks, so my hope is the hole has always been there, perhaps as drainage for the engine?

Great if one of you lovely people can put my mind at rest, or let me know I need to take it to a garage. I've a biggish drive next weekend and I'd hate to set out with a part of the car missing...

Thanks

image.thumb.jpeg.fbf712c1d510f7ec7d8ed5487bd08410.jpeg

Surely that can't have been caused by hitting a post?

It's a circular hole that's been drilled through the undertray, or at least that's what it looks like to me, but for what purpose I don't know. Aircon condensate drain?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Surely that can't have been caused by hitting a post?

It's a circular hole that's been drilled through the undertray, or at least that's what it looks like to me, but for what purpose I don't know. Aircon condensate drain?

I was wondering if something was meant to fit into the circular hole and go up inside the bonnet, but also underhanging the bonnet a little. And had been knocked out or sheared off. But let's hope not!

Cheers

From the picture I agree with Herbie, there are no 'witness marks' before or after the hole.  It looks like that hole was there before this impact. 

When you look under the car from the direction of the impact there should be fresh scratches/marks.  That is where you need to focus your attention.  It could just be the impact on the lower part of the bumper made a loud noise but otherwise didn't cause any damage...  fingers crossed 🙂

• Like 2

Thanks Herbie and Supafly for your reassurance, as a nervous new owner. Really appreciate it. I'll check underneath again when home later, but I think you've put my mind at rest! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeithMano said:

Thanks Herbie and Supafly for your reassurance, as a nervous new owner. Really appreciate it. I'll check underneath again when home later, but I think you've put my mind at rest! 

If you take a look at the pictures in the third post of the below thread on the US forum, you'll see a picture of the underside, which shows a hole similar to yours, so it looks like you've nothing to worry about.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/625507-picture-of-front-bumper-lip-from-underneath-the-sc430.html

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

If you take a look at the pictures in the third post of the below thread on the US forum, you'll see a picture of the underside, which shows a hole similar to yours, so it looks like you've nothing to worry about.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/625507-picture-of-front-bumper-lip-from-underneath-the-sc430.html

What a great find, and also a link to another SC430 resource. Fantastic! Yes, it looks the same hole. Huge thanks. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links