Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus GS450h- 2012 Model - Full Screen Main Display Issue

Michael Robinson

I have had my car around 2 years and have benefitted from the full 12.3" screen for normal map use and navigation.The Split screen function appeared when using the radio, for example,  but then reverted to full screen after use.

In the last couple of months the display screen has diverted permanently to the split screen function and despite trying all the usual instructions I cannot get back the full screen function that I had before.

Lexus technicians have also attempted to rectify the issue without success. Lexus " head office" are claiming that the full screen I had is actually not available!

Any suggestions please?!

I wondered if an up- dated navigation DVD might be the answer.

Welcome Michael.

When I had my 2013 GS450h full screen on the 12.3" screen was indeed impossible, so not sure what is going on here.

Only the facelift cars (post 2016) had the option for full screen mode as far as I am aware.

I don't suppose you have any photos of what it was/is like?

Hello Shapor

Many thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the full screen prior to it changing to split screen.

Your comments are interesting, though, and I wonder if there is an up-grade available for my car based on the 2016 facelift which does seem to show the full screen I had. I am in the UK.

3 hours ago, Michael Robinson said:

Hello Shapor

Many thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the full screen prior to it changing to split screen.

Your comments are interesting, though, and I wonder if there is an up-grade available for my car based on the 2016 facelift which does seem to show the full screen I had. I am in the UK.

Hi Michael,

As Colin says, the facelift was a different system and not compatible.

On that note though, I wonder if you had some sort of aftermarket modification applied to yours?  Not heard of one that can change the standard system, so it would potentially look different to the standard Lexus layout/graphics.

Hello Shahpor

Thanks again for your additional comments.

There have been no modifications to the system since I have had the car.

I have enjoyed having the full screen for a couple of years since I purchased the car, and then a few months ago, for no apparent reason, it reverted to the split screen! I had not made any adjustments or alterations to any settings - it happned just as I was driving!

Prior to this, the split screen only appeared if I used the radio, etc., when the spit screen would appear, disappearing automatically when these functions were closed.

Michael

Hello Colin

Yes, the extract you have posted from the engineering documentation is what I was also given when I took it into my Lexus dealer, who obtained it from Lexus Head Office Technical Department. The dealer has tried in vain to get the full screen back.

Even so, I definitely had the full screen facility prior to this latest blip. I wonder if the previous owner paid for this facility for this car and for some reason ( I would like to know what) it has now reverted to the 2012 spec. Any thoughts?

In the meantime,  thank you all for your comments, 

Michael 

This is indeed strange since, as far as I am aware, this function wasn't available regardless of cost.

Perhaps you could post a picture of how it looks now in case it doesn't look like a standard Nav setup?

Hello Colin

Thank you for your suggestion. 

If only it was that easy!

What you have suggested is how it should work, but I cannot get the arrow you mentioned to move as the cursor will not lock on to it!

Thanks anyway, 

Michael 

The mystery deepens...

The picture you posted certainly looks like the standard Lexus widescreen Nav system as I remember it, but at the same time, I don't recall ever seeing the arrow that Colin mentioned on mine.

Frankly, I am at a loss as to what to suggest.  Not very helpful I know!

Michael,

All I can suggest is that you are running a very early release or pre-release of the pre-facelift system software which had this feature, but in later (production) releases the feature was removed. It may essentially be an error that your car is running that specific software release. Can you check what software release you have and compare to the versions listed for the GS on Lexus tech? This could have happened if, say, the head unit was replaced under warranty and the one that replaced it had a very early software revision...

On my RX I specifically use a pre-release version of MM19 (that was never shipped with production vehicles as far as I can see) because it has fewer bugs (for my usage) than the latest release (this was a warranty replacement in my case due to all the bugs in MM19.. and it was pure coincidence that we found it much better than the normal release). Later releases fix issues with apple car play but break a number of other things. Given I don't use an Iphone I rather have the older release where things like gracenote have not yet been removed.  You could be experiencing something similar? A pre-release version where the feature ended up being removed in the end?  (And was then clearly added in properly for the MM15 software on the facelift models?)

Other than that I have no ideas.

Paul

Hello Paul

Thank you for your very interesting post.

You may well be right, and coincidentally I was thinking of contacting the Lexus dealer I bought the car from in Chester to see if they are aware of the history of the car in respect of the software. I did know that the car had only one owner and was bought from them from new, so there is a possibility that they may be able to help.

As far as why the system suddenly reverted to the split screen, I wonder if the software has inadvertently updated and used the pre- face-lift details. This, however,  does not explain why it went to split screen whilst driving!

Thanks 

Michael 

5 minutes ago, Michael Robinson said:

Hello Paul

Thank you for your very interesting post.

You may well be right, and coincidentally I was thinking of contacting the Lexus dealer I bought the car from in Chester to see if they are aware of the history of the car in respect of the software. I did know that the car had only one owner and was bought from them from new, so there is a possibility that they may be able to help.

As far as why the system suddenly reverted to the split screen, I wonder if the software has inadvertently updated and used the pre- face-lift details. This, however,  does not explain why it went to split screen whilst driving!

Thanks 

Michael 

Michael,

That system cannot do any over the air updates so it cannot have changed due to that. The fact that the behaviour has changed is very odd indeed.

Paul

Hello Paul

Just an up-date following your observations about the software, I have now been in touch with the Lexus dealer who I bought the car from and their records for the car do not show any modifications carried out to the software or navigation system, so I have to draw a blank there.

It is still a mystery and especially as even Lexus Technical are unable to help!

Thanks for your suggestions, though,

Michael 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links