Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

240v charger tripping out

It wasn’t a problem for a couple of months, then started tripping out after charging. The last time we used it we plugged into a double kitchen socket via open window, not only didn’t it charge but the socket used doesn’t work either although now although the other one does. Has just been back to garage and they had same problem. They say it’s not a car problem or a problem with a lead, they are just sensitive and  they found it happened to them  if other electrical things were being used at same time. So we get car and cable back but it is as much use a a chocolate teapot. We can’t afford to keep getting electricians out to replace sockets, interestingly it didn’t trip the consumer unit. We have since installed a wall charger at a cost of £1500,  with no problem so far and will have to use only this. Anyone else encountered this?

• Sad 1

Derek....I originally used the 13A 'granny' charging lead before I also had a wall charger installed. I was aware of potential overloads so I bought an industrial Grade extension lead with a built in circuit breaker. I used it for 4 months without incident.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delboy wilts said:

So we get car and cable back but it is as much use a a chocolate teapot. We can’t afford to keep getting electricians out to replace sockets, interestingly it didn’t trip the consumer unit.

I imagine your sockets are connected to a 30 Amp protected ring final circuit and therefore a 10 Amp load isn't going to trip the breaker in the consumer unit. Does/did the car state what current is being supplied when charging - it shouldn't be pulling more than 10 A if it is connected to a granny charger with a UK plug on it - if it is pulling 13 A or more then there is definitely a problem.

If you have had a socket replaced, did the electrician state what was wrong with the old one? I can only assume it was burnt out but that shouldn't happen unless the socket was worn or the connections on the back a bit loose.

If there is a voltage drop because of a poor connection then I would expect the charger to detect this and cut out, but the socket would still work for other devices. Also the charger shouldn't be that sensitive that something else on the circuit stops it working - that isn't a fit for purpose product.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links